**********TAR11 Spoilers (Enter at your own risk)**********

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby gukfatao21 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:48 am

Filming of this season's finale made our district newspaper. Last sentence of article indicated it was the "concluding show".

http://www.sunsetbeacon.com/archives/Su ... retum.html
gukfatao21
the world is waiting

Postby leew261 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:08 am

Very interesting story. Thanks for posting it, gukfatao21, and welcome to TARflies.
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby Tribefan on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:29 am

That was interesting. That's the first time I ever read about people getting pissed off because TAR closed a location for filming!

What were they supposed to do? Advertise that The Amazing Race would be filming its finale there on Sunday? Oh, that would have been great for spoilers!!

Welcome to TARflies, gukfatao21!
Tribefan
official tush photographer & fish tease
official tush photographer & fish tease

Postby rabrab on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:08 am

What a whiner. But yeah, a good scoop on the Finale: date, time and place! And we now nknow how close together the final teams were. If they only closed it from 10:00 to 12:30, the teams had to be within 2 hours of each other.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby KenF on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:46 am

3 hours isn't that long. They close locales much longer to shoot 20 seconds of film for a movie scene.
KenF
taking a detour

Postby beats on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:50 pm

TV Guide has a relatively in-depth article on the first leg. I don't have a scanner so I can't get the pics in but here's the article:

It's not that often that someone can have a once-in-a-lifetime experience twice, but that's the plan with the latest Amazing Race. Twenty-two of the series' most memorable competitors--remember the Guidos, Charla and Mirna, and, of course, Rob and Amber?--are back for another shot at the $1 million prize. And because they've done this before, executive producer Bertram van Munster promises "an all-around unpredictable" trip. TV Guide tagged along for an exclusive look at the first leg.

DAY 1
10:23am The start of the race is miniutes away, and the teams are lined up on the lush grass of a Miami mansion. Some stretch to get ready. Others discuss strategy. Standing silently next to each other are Season 7 first-and second-place finishers Joyce and Uncehnna Agu and Rob and Amber Mariano. Joyce is eager to prove their victory "wasn't because we lucked out." Rob wants payback: "If you had a million dollars in your pocket and someone took it out of your pocket, would you remember it?" he says, referring to how he and Amber just missed beating Joyce and Uchenna. They're off!
8:30pm The engines have barely cooled on the plane that flew the racers to their first destination--Quito, Ecuador--but season 5's Charla Baklayan Faddoul and Mirna Hindoyan are the first team to hit the street looking for transport to take them to their next clue. At the same time, van Munster is in a van that's hustling him to the first stop before any racers can get there. His mind is alraedy on tomorrow's challenge, which he gleefully promises will be "very unpleasant."
10:30pm Nearly all the teams have arrived at a restaurant high atop a hill in Quito for an overnight break. Most of them are sitting around a large table eating, talking and laughing. It seems like a class reunion as the conversation shifts from birthdays to religion. Dave and Mary Conley--last seasons' Team Kentucky--arrive and everyone at the table gives them a big ovation. Exec producer Elise Doganieri steps over to ask what they'll do when the final teams show up.
"We'll give them comfort and hugs," Amber says wryly. A grinning Ian Pollack, from Season 3--he and his wife, Teri, were the oldest team ever to finish in the top 2--leans in, adding, "But tomorrow, it's the dogs of war."
DAY 2
10:45am The teams are driving across a barren mountaintop. There's nothing but big rocks and giant potholes, and the racers are getting tossed around like a sock in the dryer. "I've never driven a road like this in my lief and hopefully I never will again," Mirna says. And there's still at least an hour to go in a four-hour trip to a ranch where they'll face their next challenge--find three military medals hidden on a giant hill or rope a wild horse and trim its hooves.
12:50pm Gasping for air thanks to the 13,000-foot altitude, the teams begin to arrive at the ranch. Dave runs ahead of Mary, urging her to hurry, while she huffs and puffs her way along. "Can you see I'm trying? I'm not as physically fit as you!"
Nearby, Dustin and Kandice--last season's beauty queens--are celebrating Kandice's 25th birthday. Dustin hands over a chocolate bar she'd hidden in her backpack. It's an appropriate gift: She knows they'll need the sugar boost for what lies ahead. "Right from the Miami airport, I knew this was going to be tougher," Dustin says.
And it is. "We've amped it up," Doganieri says. Explains van Munster, "The cast all have these little techniques of their own for how they get from A to B, so we're taking them to places where they can't take advantage of that. This is not gonna be easy street."

So...
-David/Mary are not the last team to arrive at the bunching point? (At least we have an explanation for why JVJ are out first.)
-David/Mary arrive at the first pitstop before Dustin/Kandice?
-The pictures show that Rob/Amber did the military medals detour while D/K did the hooves.
beats
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby NabbyCat on Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:35 am

Rob wants payback: "If you had a million dollars in your pocket and someone took it out of your pocket, would you remember it?"

Ass. I hope Romber's elimination is particularly humiliating - and early, so that I can watch the show without having to watch THEM.
NabbyCat
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby bluelena on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:13 am

rabrab wrote:What a whiner. But yeah, a good scoop on the Finale: date, time and place! And we now nknow how close together the final teams were. If they only closed it from 10:00 to 12:30, the teams had to be within 2 hours of each other.

Wouldn't some of that time need to be used to run decoy teams? And if it was, wouldn't it make the final 3 that much closer?
bluelena
TARfly

Postby rabrab on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:56 am

Possibly. Here's my thinking:

The article quoted the Park manager as referring to "a late opening". That, to me, means that the park usually opens to the public at 10:00. Now, even in December, that means that TPTB had several hours of daylight to set up the physical Finish Line stuff, like the platform and the mat, and to spike their camera positions. They may even have done some of this the night before, after the park was closed to the public. The fake clapping shots could have been filmed at any time the morning of the 17th.

We don't know how many different takes they shoot; could be one or two, could be dozens.

There may or may not have been decoy teams running around SF; we haven't heard of any sightings of teams, decoy or not, after the Honolulu flight. If the teams are coming into SF early on a Sunday morning, there may not have been any decoys.

What it boils down to is that we know they were done at this location by 12:30. The winning team may have arrived at the park before 10:00 am, depending on when they landed in SF and what all they had to do before the finish line.

Airwise says that the first flight out of Honolulu on Sunday the 17th was at 8:00 am and it didn't get to SF til 3:00 pm. So they had to leave Honolulu Saturday night. There are four flights leaving HNL between 11:00 pm and midnight Saturday night, all arriving between 6:00 and 7:00 am Sunday morning, and one that leaves Hawaii at 10:00 pm and arrives in SF at 4:50 AM.

San Franciscans (or anyone familiar with the city,) weigh in, please: would they be likely to need decoys between 7:00 and about 10:00am on a December Sunday?
rabrab
TARfly

Postby theamazingracer on Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:17 pm

The cast all have these little techniques of their own for how they get from A to B, so we're taking them to places where they can't take advantage of that.

I can see Rombah and or the BQ's going out early with no Ferns available.
theamazingracer
taking a detour

Postby miri on Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:38 pm

Video of David and Mary trying to work the BQs at an airport.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby theamazingracer on Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:33 pm

Ugh. The BQ's didn't fall for that BS the first time. Why would they do it now?
theamazingracer
taking a detour

Postby gukfatao21 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:34 am

I live a few blocks away from the Strybing Arboretum and was a bit disappointed that I missed an opportunity to see something like this. Since the article indicated it was only closed for 3 hours, the Arboretum may not have been the final pitstop, but possibly just a cluebox location? I would think it would take more than 3hrs to film such a significant event unless a portion was filmed prior to 10am. It'll be interesting to see if traffic will play a key role in final outcome. Traffic around the area is horrible on Sundays. GG Park streets are closed to cars on Sundays so the surrounding streets are usually congested, a lot of construction going on in and around the park, and the main expressway (19th Ave) from SFO is usually backed up for several miles. Public transportation from SFO would be quicker.
gukfatao21
the world is waiting

Postby leew261 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:46 am

If I remember correctly TAR 2 ended in San Francisco and transportation was a major factor in that finale. (Dammit!)
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby jer2002 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:29 am

miri wrote:Video of David and Mary trying to work the BQs at an airport.

OMG actual show footage!!! *DIES* I'm so excited despite not liking 4 teams that are there.
jer2002
taking a detour

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons