10.3 - Oh Wow, It's like One of Those Things You See on TV!

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

10.3 - Oh Wow, It's like One of Those Things You See on TV!

Postby miri on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:30 pm

Can we tawwk?

(and...poo. I liked them)
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby MamaB on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:32 pm

Just finished watching here, thanks to football delay. I'm bummed. Just bummed. Got a little misty eyed at the end.
MamaB
yielded

Postby heliwoman on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:36 pm

Good episode. 2 things quickly come to mind:

1) Peter talking about being a team? while Sarah is literally crawling several feet behind him getting to the pit stop? Ugh. Words can not do justice to the revulsion that I feel.

2) I knew the editing was goofy last week. They made the same mistake again: When Peter & Sarah arrived at the route marker for the Detour it flashed on the screen that they were in first place when really they were in last place.

More later when I've had time to digest it all.
heliwoman
yielded

Postby rockhpi on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:37 pm

Good leg, despite some bunching, I thought. Teams seem like they're really starting to wear out now. I'm happy for the Cho Bros. for their 1st place. (HA! T&T: "Go Cho Bros"). Mary's just the cutest when she's awed by another culture, but she can really harp on Dave without much cause. What was with Peter snatching at the clue in the prison? He just seems like a total ass, especially when you watch the extra videos on cbs.com. I don't think the blondies did anything wrong in Mongolia...I think if you walk past your agent, they have the right to step up.

They're used the old-style white-and-yellow flags on a clue box-I haven't noticed that since TARFE (oops-not supposed to speak its name).
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby yikes on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:38 pm

Peter doth reaallly suck. Hardcore.

And boo to Evil Fern!
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby leew261 on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:42 pm

1) Peter talking about being a team? while Sarah is literally crawling several feet behind him getting to the pit stop? Ugh. Words can not do justice to the revulsion that I feel.

I noticed that too. What a complete, clueless jackass.

A very cool leg. The race designers are doing a kick-ass job this time around. And giving the teams $0 for the leg? Deliciously evil!
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby theschnauzers on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:43 pm

Another good episode....

some random thoughts

When Phil first mentioned the Hanoi Hilton, I had immediately thought of John McCain, who I believe was one of the longest held Americans there during the Vietnam War. And sure enough, he was part of the task.

The yellow and white route marker makes its first appearance since season one.....when the teams were in Vietnam during TAR 3, the route markers were all yellow, IIRC. (edited to add that IIRC the FE used yellow white and black route markers, not just yelow and white.

Phil using "Who will be eliminated.... tonight?" for the first time in a number of seasons? When was the last time? I can't recall.

In leg enforcement of a game rule...Tom and Terry dropped from 2nd to eighth....and it seems as if that wasn't by much.

And the tasks were entirely appropriate for Vietnam....especially since teams had ittle money to begin with and the roadblock only generated about $5 for each team for the leg.
Last edited by theschnauzers on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby Tris on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:43 pm

Very bummed Duke and Lauren are gone. I loved the Vietnamese people laughing at the crazy Americans trying to sell them flowers. HATE Peter, Sarah's OK. Dump him, Sarah!

ETA: Gimme an E! Gimme an M! Gimme an M! Gimme a Y! What's that spell...
Tris
taking a detour

Postby DariaG on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:46 pm

When Tom & Terry are philiminated -- and I don't think they're a bad team, I just don't think they're good enough to go very far -- it will be because of inattention. It was inattention that had them walk past the available travel agent (and I agree, the beauty queens did nothing wrong), and it was inattention that got them that penalty. They have to be sharper, and I don't see that happening.

I was glad to see both Kimberly and Sarah stand up to the asshats they're traveling with. I'm not fond of bickering couples, but I'm even less fond of partners who cave in to asses. (And I'm least fond of the asses themselves.) So next week should be good!

The tasks didn't seem that hard, but it might have been that still having a lot of teams made the editors choose to show us less of the difficulty. Not as exciting as last week, in any case -- but last week is an Emmy-winner, and this week was good enough. I also liked that they were not allowed to beg or sell things for extra money.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

some kind of delay

Postby Ryan7361 on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Hey everybody!

I TIVO all the episodes, but when I went to watch tonight only half the episode got recorded due to some kind of delay. 60 Minutes was 30 minutes late or so in my time zone.(central) Anybody know of where I can get a bootleg copy? (or any way else0 to watch the rest of it)?

Ryan F.
Ryan7361
the world is waiting

Postby GinevradiBenci on Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:00 pm

Man, I am bummed that Duke and Lauren are out of it so soon. I really enjoyed this leg but it zapped one of my absolute favorite teams.

Mary and David are fun to watch, but she sure does carp on him at every opportunity. Dial it back a notch, Mary. Give the man some breathing room.
GinevradiBenci
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby corkystclair on Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:03 pm

Wow. Great episode. I was having trouble figuring out who would be eliminated, and I'm highly spoilered. Kudos, editors!

"Boy, this has to suck!" Damn, I love Phil.
corkystclair
gal friday & clay maniac

Postby PepeNY on Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:05 pm

"Boy, this has to suck!" Damn, I love Phil.

Me too! That was by far the best line of the night. PepeJr came out of his room and said "Mom, did you hear Phil?" and was laughing so hard!
PepeNY
gal friday & official burro spotter

Postby Hildy on Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:14 pm

Stupid rain delayed ball game. I missed TAR. GRrrrrrrrrr.
Hildy
taking a detour

Re: some kind of delay

Postby ToniW on Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:16 pm

Ryan7361 wrote:Anybody know of where I can get a bootleg copy? (or any way else0 to watch the rest of it)?

I checked to see if the episodes are available on Innertube at CBS.com but they're not. You can watch full episodes of Survivor, though. TAR gets no love. Four Emmys and we're still the outcasts? That's just wrong.

This was a great episode. I love how the Cho brothers and Tom & Terry stopped to be respectful of the P.O.W.'s. That was the first time I teared up a little. I think Mary may be my favorite racer this season. I don't like the way she talks to her husband but she's very encouraging of everyone else and she is enjoying the experience. Duke and Lauren...sniff.
ToniW
fast forwarding

Next

Return to Past Seasons