**********TAR10 Spoilers (Enter at your own risk)**********

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby OneAnne on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:33 am

rabrab wrote:
But there really aren't that many direct flights to Vancouver from Seattle at all. It takes just a hair under an hour to fly it direct, and as you say, it can be driven in a couple of hours--so there might not be a lot of call for direct flights.

Correct, it would be unusual to fly from Seattle to Vancouver as most people would drive... as a matter of fact my neice makes the trip every Monday to attend classes.
OneAnne
bunched

Postby didn't quite make it on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:17 pm

I finally nailed down The Pilot on the exact date of the SeaTac sighting. Here is the text of his e-mail:

"Saturday May 27th, we landed at 10:50a local time in SEA and dep at 3:08p lcl.
So that puts them in the South Satellite Terminal at SEA, and would have to be departing, because when you arrive into that term you go straight down to an underground train to the Main Terminal for luggage and ground trans. It's literally a satellite term with no way out but on an airplane. If I had to guess, I bet I noticed them last at about 1:30 in the term."

That should settle the start date. This loosens up the dates quite a bit and makes the 7 teams in Kuwait much more realistic.

He also mentions that Horizon flys to Victoria out of the same terminal.
didn't quite make it
the world is waiting

Postby rabrab on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:28 am

Wow! Thanks for pinning it down!

Here's what Airwise is saying:

At 1:28: a codeshare: United / All Nippon / US Air to Tokyo (Narita) with three possible connections there:

All Nippon/China Air, landing in Bejing at 8:05 pm, May 28th
or
a JAL / China Eastern Air that lands at 8:55pm May 28th
or
Northwest, landing at 9:15pm May 28th

Leaving SeaTac at 1:40, there's a Asiana / United codeshare that connects at Inchon to China Air, and lands at 9:00pm, May 28th.

Leaving SeaTac at 2:45, there's a Continental /Delta/ Northwestern codeshare connecting at Narita to the Northwestern flight that lands at 9:15 the 28th. (The same flight that the folks on the 1:28 flight connect to.)

There's the three flights they need. They've got a take-off spread of an hour and a quarter; a landing spread of 1 hour, 10 minutes; a good dope-slap flight (the 1:28 departure with the Northwest connection leaves first and arives last;) and a nice mix of airline names that might lead to assumptions about who gets there fastest.

That also allows plenty of time for a leg in Beijing, before they went to Mongolia. In fact, it almost requires one, if they got to Ulaan Baator on the 31st. From 9:00pm the 28th to 1:00 pm the 31st is 64 hours; the estimated travel time by train and car from Beijing to Ulaan Baator is somewhere between 16 at the low end to 24 at the high end. That leaves 20 hours (minimum) unaccounted for. Take out 12 for a pitstop, and there are still at least 8 hours available for the first leg tasks in Beijing.
Last edited by rabrab on Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby OneAnne on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:31 am

Oh man... last spring I drove from NYC to Maryland and the whole time I felt like I was in The Amazing Race and couldn't even get myself to make a potty stop because I felt like I'd lose my place - a couple months later TAR-FE took the exact same route. When I got back from this year's vacation and was walking thru Sea-Tac at 12:30am 05.25 I thought 'wow, wouldn't it be cool to have TAR Racers come barreling around the corner' - so this time I was just a couple days off!
OneAnne
bunched

Postby EnricoV on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:20 pm

OneAnne wrote:Correct, it would be unusual to fly from Seattle to Vancouver as most people would drive... as a matter of fact my neice makes the trip every Monday to attend classes.

Yeah, and taking a cruise out of Vancouver, most flights go into SeaTac and they bus them up. I've always thought that was a pretty low-rent way to begin a cruise.

Great leg work on everything guys! Those flights look perfect rabrab -- you must moonlight as a TAR route planner!
EnricoV
bunched

Postby rabrab on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:30 pm

I wish!!

Thanks-- coming from the timeline-genius, that's high praise.

Ohhh, how fun!

Here's a journal page that talks about getting from Beijing to Mongolia.

Let's see. Let's work backwards:

They arrive in Ulaan Baator in the early afternoon of the 31st ("half an hour after it began.")

That means they got on the train from Erenhot the night before ("The train leaves at the evening so just wait and enjoy the charm of small mongolian town and the next morning you will reach Ulan Batar"): the evening of the 30th.

The bus from Beijing to Erenhot takes about 12 hours ("The daily sleeper bus leaves in the evening (at 6pm if I remember correctly) and arrives to Erlianhot the next morning"); I'm going to assume that the drive takes about as long as the bus, so they drove out of Beijing sometime in the wee, small hours of the morning of the 30th.

But they land in Beijing right around 9:00 pm of the 28th. That leaves them with about 27-32 hours to kill in Beijing; plenty of time for a short leg and a Pitstop.

I predict:
First leg: Beijing.
Second leg: Ulaan Baator/Terelj.

ETA: Found another goodie: Mongolian train schedule 3 to 6 hours to cross the China/Mongolia border? Ouch.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby Northwoods101 on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:25 am

I am so jealous they went to mongolia, when I applied for tar9 that was the country i listed as the one i most wanted to visit. Two years ago I saw Hunn-Huur-Tu, the throat singers, perform and it was one the best shows of any kind I have seen. The sounds they are making are just so other worldly, and the beats have been inspired by rythem heard on horse back. It made me think of riding with the mongola horde. I am excited for the new season just for the mongolia leg.
Northwoods101
road blocked

TAR10 spotted at SEATAC May 27 - headed to Beijing

Postby krw2006 on Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:04 pm

I rode on United's flight between Seattle and Tokyo with many of TAR10 teams Saturday May 27. The airport boarding area was 'buzzing' with couples dressed alike who were followed by camera crews. Each couple wore matching numbered tags on their backpacks and were dressed alike. The pair next to me (Team #1) pointed out the window at another plane, not yet departing, and kept asking the flight crew about our on-time departure and arrival status. They also inquired about Chinese currency exchange rates for their next destination in Beijing. I received the response, "we are filming a travel show," when I asked what was going on.

Teams were allowed priveliged secret early boarding, to allow camera crews to get more footage on the plane and to stow equipment. At least four teams were counted on the flight, possibly more. Everyone must have had a late night. The camera crew immediately in front of Team #1 passed out like professional airplane sleepers. Team #1 also snoozed soon after departing.

I recognize the two blonds in Blogger K The Kuwaiti's pictures but no sight of Team #1.

krw2006
krw2006
the world is waiting

Postby Babalu on Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:12 pm

Cool, krw2006! That must have been exciting for you. Thanks for posting it.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby x__Eevee* on Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:01 pm

Wow...they are going to China! Coolz! I don't think they went there yet..i hope they come to australia again! I want to see them in Sydney! Thanks for that post!
x__Eevee*
the world is waiting

Postby yikes on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:11 am

x__Eevee* wrote:Wow...they are going to China! Coolz! I don't think they went there yet..

TAR was there season 1 and season 6.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby DariaG on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:11 am

We've gotten some quality spoilers thus far. I'm hoping we pull in a couple more so we have a better sense of the likely finalists.

Edited because Yikes got here first on the China info.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby x__Eevee* on Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:07 am

yikes wrote:
x__Eevee* wrote:Wow...they are going to China! Coolz! I don't think they went there yet..

TAR was there season 1 and season 6.

ahh..no wonder why...i've only watched half of 8 and the whole of 9../
x__Eevee*
the world is waiting

Postby FrostieJ on Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:55 am

http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Y ... tart=30#40

I hope I just did that correctly...OMG two all female teams in the top five! And the new pinkies were in first!
FrostieJ
amazing racer

Postby yikes on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:06 am

And it's chock full of spoiler goodness on locations!

Kick ass work Joni :D
yikes
fast forwarding

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons