9.4: It's Not Over Until the Phil Sings

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

9.4: It's Not Over Until the Phil Sings

Postby miri on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:57 pm

Goodbye, Momiree
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Abiz on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:01 pm

An exciting finish, and it came down to map reading! Woo! And people on different planes! Yay!
Abiz
taking a detour

Postby PButtercup on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:03 pm

Great detour, which almost made up for the lame roadblock.
PButtercup
road blocked

Postby leew261 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:04 pm

I liked that there was not a lot of bunching on this leg. Of course, that will probably be taken care of early in the next episode...

I was a bit sad to see Wanda and Desiree go, but they got lost one time too many. Fran and Barry certainly rocked this leg! And I was glad to see the nerds pull up from last to fifth -- go Nerds!
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby Northwoods101 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:07 pm

What a great shout out to Phil, as BJ & Tyler were leaving Red Square, the hotel sign in the upper left spelled out P-H-I-L.

Lake has the luck of the evil, getting the smash clue so fast.

Monica was really cute during her dance, so was Desiree, the DD's aren't looking so good, fatique and lack of make-up reveals so much.

I am very glad Lori & dave are still in the race, I think they will get the beloved fourth place.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby Giuseppe on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:09 pm

I'm really sorry, but "Santa!" totally made me laugh.

They really went heavy with the luck-based searching tasks these past two legs, didn't they? I was kinda disappointed in the roadblock, but the detour was pretty funny.

And y'all saw the PHIL(IPS) neon sign they cut to just after one of the hippies said the title quote, right?
Giuseppe
fast forwarding

Postby DavidK93 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:24 pm

Northwoods101 wrote:the DD's aren't looking so good, fatique and lack of make-up reveals so much.

Goodness, yes! When they were sitting in the car towards the end, they just looked tore down.
DavidK93
at the start line

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:29 pm

I was sorry to see Momiree go, but more because they're really nice people than that they were good racers. They hit the wall awfully early, in spite of it being a killer leg, and I didn't see them lasting much longer.

Double D deserved to nearly lose after just tailing another team like that. I have no sympathy for a team that doesn't even try to do its own navigating.

Go Nerds!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby yikes on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:31 pm

That was a RB? Geez. What was worse, the return of Jerome the Gnome, the task itself or Tyler dancing like a monkey? (Although I must say I would like to send Phil's wardrobe person a fruit basket and give them a raise. Because that outfit? Rowr.)

I didn't mind the detour, but the Beach Bums? Casanovas isn't even close. Let's just call them Manwhore, pay for some time with the Detour chick and be done with it.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby cutecouple on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:34 pm

Giuseppe wrote:I'm really sorry, but "Santa!" totally made me laugh.

They really went heavy with the luck-based searching tasks these past two legs, didn't they? I was kinda disappointed in the roadblock, but the detour was pretty funny.

And y'all saw the PHIL(IPS) neon sign they cut to just after one of the hippies said the title quote, right?
Sadly, no. I was still trying to figure out why my DVD recorder wouldn't pick up CBS. At least I got to watch most of the ep though. BJ & Tyler come off as trying too hard.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby drewfidelic on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:39 pm

Did TPTB pick that greeter because he looked like the product placement of the week?

This was a pretty fun episode overall. Airport intrigue, self-navigation (and lack thereof), folk dancing, bottle smashing, high-speed driving and a real double leg. The teams weren't immediately waiting for an HoO bunch-- the lead teams got out of Moscow ahead of the trailing teams and had a head start in the morning.
Last edited by drewfidelic on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drewfidelic
yielded

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:42 pm

Yeah, that was my first thought, drewfidelic, that he was the gnome brought to life!

I must say they're really getting into using annoying music well, aren't they? When the dancers started circling around the bottle-smashers, the looks on the racers' faces were just priceless.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby Northwoods101 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:44 pm

Did anyone else think the greeter was the travelocity gnome's big brother?

I don't think the dd's will last too much longer, they just aren't good racers. momilee are nice people, and I am sorry to see them go, but they need the rest.

I want to drive on that test track!
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby rabrab on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:46 pm

Bet: Next episode starts with BJ and Tyler smacked with a 30 minute penalty for not bringing their gnome to the mat. Any takers?

Question: who's dumber, Momiree for making the same wrong turn twice, or the Pinks for continuing to follow them after they made it the first time?

Observation: Fran and Barry did way better this time, now that they were navigating on their own, and not having to deal with Mass Transit.

Question 2: How many languages are BJ and Tyler functional in, anyway? That was some pretty good German BJ was unspooling to the fraulein and to the guy thay asked for directions to the Pitstop; pretty decent accent as well.

Observation 2: Dave and Lori did a slick job with the misdirection on the way to the PitStop. I think it gained them one step up in placement.

Question 3: Did anybody else expect Mr. "I'm too drunk to drive" to get Lake & Michele and BJ & Tyler lost while they were taking him home?

Observation 3: Eric and Jeremy really are dicks with legs. Are they using their upstairs brains at all?

Question 4: Do the Pinks even have upstairs brains? If yes, how many brain cells do they each have, and how many do they share?

Observation 5: Those breakaway bottles hurt, even if they're empty. I hope they had aspirin on hand at the Pitstop.

Observation 6: Schuhplattler isn't terribly hard, it's just confusing at speed. They were doing it at about half-normal pace. And they were doing the simple part, too.

Applause: For yet more annoying, distracting music during a task; for "navigate yourself"; for multiple flights;
for another instance of instructions that apparently said that the clue-hiding-things had to be returned to their original position (wreaks havoc with the odds--I'm just evil enough to like that.) To BJ and Tyler for "Danke."

Boo-hiss: To Wanda for freaking in the car. Do not put your head on the steering wheel in frustration while you're driving! To BJ and Tyler for the running backwards to the mat. You've still got some slack from me, boys, but crap like that uses it up in great whacking chunks.

Giggles: Joseph thinking that he was going to get to drive the Mercedes on the test track. Dream on, guy. Lori, for "I'm glad we didn't eat on the train." My feelings exactly. Michelle swatting Lake with the bottle--I bet that was satisfying.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby yikes on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:50 pm

Question: who's dumber, Momiree for making the same wrong turn twice, or the Pinks for continuing to follow them after they made it the first time?

Well both, but the Danis more as they knew where they missed the turn and could have put a lot more distance in between.
yikes
fast forwarding

Next

Return to Past Seasons