TAR 8-5: We're Getting Out of the Country, Girls

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

TAR 8-5: We're Getting Out of the Country, Girls

Postby miri on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:01 pm

The only Fast Forward? WTF?
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Zron on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:02 pm

Well, that was a bit more like it.
Zron
angel of death
angel of death

Postby AnneH on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:03 pm

I wonder what's happened in the pit stops, cause everyone seems to hate the Weavers.

One FF? Sucks. That was my favourite part of the show way back when there was actually a race to care about.
AnneH
bunched

Postby cutecouple on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:05 pm

One Fast Forward is very sad. My suspicion is that if the Gaghans weren't there, the Paolos may have backed down.

Otherwise, this was up to the level of TAR's 5-7.

Regarding the Weavers, they seem to have a different idea of racing then the other teams, as if they've never seen the show before.
Last edited by cutecouple on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby leew261 on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:06 pm

Good: Even the racers were happy that the race was finally leaving the US. And Panama is certainly a beautiful country.

Bad: The ONLY Fast Forward of the race is on a NEL -- how stupid and pointless is that? The teams screeching "andale" and "mas rapido" at their drivers was embarrassing. And my two least favorite teams are now running one-two.

The Weaver clan is working my last nerve. Oh Lord, please let them be eliminated next.
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:14 pm

Bad: The ONLY Fast Forward of the race is on a NEL -- how stupid and pointless is that?.

At least I can live, considering the fact that when Brandon/Nicole bailed, it was like there was only one FF. In addition, both of them were used on NELs.

Hopefully this isn't permanent come TAR9.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby DariaG on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:15 pm

This reminded me very much of the TAR3 episode in Portugal -- baseball instead of soccer for the roadblock, and the musical instrument detour option had the same sort of visiting local establishments that was in the TAR3 truck delivery detour option.

It's official -- the Weavers are my least favorite team of this race. The Paolos aren't pissing me off as much now (shades of Teri and Ian in TAR3 again). I think the Bransens and Gaghans are my favorites, followed by the Linzes. I sort of like the Godlewskis, but not as much as I once did.

I thought it was interesting that everyone jumped in to stop the Paolos' bickering at the airport. I think that shows that they like the team. If it had been the Weavers, the tone would have been harsher, had they bothered saying anything at all.

I'm thinking we're not seeing the real problem with the Weavers. It probably is happening at the pit stops, like AnneH said.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby Piperdown on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:16 pm

I'm glad the weavers didn't come in last, since if they were saved by a NE I would have scratched out my eyes.

All in all this was a pretty good episode. It's amazing what a difference leaving the country makes. It almost seemed like the real TAR...almost.

I loved the Paolo's again this episode, and the Gaghans only bugged me a bit.

Favourite momnet thought was when the Bransens drove that lady to work.
Piperdown
TARfly

Postby Tribefan on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:21 pm

My favorite part of the episode? Phil saying "underpants." Twice.
Tribefan
official tush photographer & fish tease
official tush photographer & fish tease

Postby miri on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:26 pm

Piperdown wrote:Favourite momnet thought was when the Bransens drove that lady to work.

Heh, she was kind of the anti-Fern. You want help? Well, I want to get to work, damn it!

One of the things that struck me: yes, it felt more like the Race since they left the country, but it was also the type of tasks they did. There wasn't a thing they did tonight that they couldn't have done in the US - in fact, the instrument one would have been perfect for New Orleans. No BP stations this week...
miri

Postby DariaG on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:31 pm

I like that concept -- the anti-Fern. And the boat driver who wanted to pick up another passenger while he had the Gaghans. So what if there's a camera crew along? It's business as usual.

It amuses me to think that occasionally production might plant a dud driver in the crew that's transporting racers. I don't at all believe that happens, but it amuses me nonetheless.

Speaking of amusing, the Godlewskis were as they prepared for the mugging. And yeah, Phil saying "underpants" was funny.

ETA: I agree about the tasks, Miri. It seemed like they were more active this leg. I do think the cultural differences added an element, and they're now down to a manageable number of racers, which also helps. But these were definitely the best tasks so far.
DariaG

Postby bluelena on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:43 pm

Did anyone else hear Phil describe the bird detour as "cooze"? Hey! This is a family show!

And WTF was up with Tammy Gaghan running smack into the back of that vehicle?
bluelena
TARfly

Postby Piperdown on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:49 pm

I just wish they had to spot real birds. Those fake one's matched the picture exactly, even the poses. It would have made the task pretty hard.

I thnk Tammy just slipped. I admit it...I laughed.
Piperdown
TARfly

Postby DavidK93 on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:49 pm

Yep, "Coos" is pronounced exactly like "coose," so I almost fell off my couch. Then I rewound and watched it three more times. It still didn't quite top "nutbunches," though.
DavidK93
at the start line

Postby Maniller Sixty Five on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:54 pm

Okay, I'll say it: I like the Paolos. Who would have thunk that all they had to do was step off a bungee platform to finally get a warm and fuzzy Hallmark moment amongst them? There were hugs, there were kisses, ... how sweet.

On the other hand, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a chance to see a 9-year old pitch herself off a crane. Uh, and was I seeing things, or did Baby Gaghan push Mama Gaghan smack into the back of a van? At first I thought she ran into it, but I think it was Carissa's fault. Either way, it amused me. It shouldn't, but it did.

Overall, this was a relatively good episode. It was almost TAR-like: airport bunching, boat racing, bungee, and the last team dressing in layers due to NEL.
Maniller Sixty Five
at the start line

Next

Return to Past Seasons