TAR 8-2: How Do We Know We Aren't Going to Get Shot?

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

TAR 8-2: How Do We Know We Aren't Going to Get Shot?

Postby miri on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:00 pm

Discuss!
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:11 pm

Well, not that I care for the Rogers, but the Paolos live to see another day. Ouch.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby leew261 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:12 pm

Was it just me or was that the most boring episode of TAR ever? It seemed very choppy and frenetic, but nothing much really happened.

And dammit, why couldn't the Paolos have run out of gas?
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby GinevradiBenci on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:19 pm

I was praying for the Sopranos to run out of gas, even if it would have resulted in a flurry of "I told you sos" from the mom. So close to getting rid of them!

Aww, I liked Brock. Too bad his dickhead dad couldn't read a map.

Civil War reenactment, yay! Seeing Racers run all over my town, yay! Tricky clue that rewards good reading skills, yay!
GinevradiBenci
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby DariaG on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:20 pm

The Paolos are scraping on my last nerve. As annoying as she was, Mama P did have a point -- they were in a "dead zone" for gas stations. The museum/monument area of DC just plain doesn't have any, period. Not even hidden on back streets. There's one on Capitol Hill, but on the other side from where they were, and you pretty much have to know where it is to find it. (M. Darcy works within a block of it, though.) I was seriously waiting for them to go dry. Too bad they didn't.

It's weird watching racers in a place you know extremely well, on streets you walk and drive on. I felt a bit of that in the final leg of Season 2, when they were in San Francisco, but tonight it was even stranger. And as soon as the clue came up for the "reflecting pool" I figured some teams would end up at the wrong one. It's the better known of the two, so that was part of the twist.

If you've never been close to a Civil War re-enactment, you've missed a very intense experience. Those guys are extremely serious, down to obsessing about the realism of the buttons on their uniforms. Going into the middle of a re-enactment is a great task!

And I have to say, the Gaghans are one of my favorite teams. They're hard workers, all four of them, although Billy is a bit pissy, and so far they're very cheerful. I'm also liking the Godlewskis, the Aiellos, and the Schroeders.
Last edited by DariaG on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:21 pm

First I was hoping the Paolos would run out of gas, then that they'd get stuck in a traffic jam from hell that is such a specialty in the DC area, and lastly that the Rogers -- who I can't stand, either -- would pass them up on the way to the mat. No such luck. Now we get to listen to the Nagging Harpy for another week or two. Oh, joy. I'm getting a real clear picture of why her two sons are such total asses. The apple obviously didn't fall far from that tree.

I wasn't sorry to see the Rogers go, but I did feel bad for Brock. First he gets blamed by his father and everything he says is totally ignored, and then even when Pa Rogers is forced to cop to it being his mistake, he still twists it somehow so that I end up hating him even more. Yuk yuk and yuk.

Why on earth did the Gaghans do the carrying detour? And how did they manage to do it and end up less tired than the all-adult teams? And who's going to have a heart attack first, Papa Aiello or Papa Bransen?
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby Giuseppe on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:23 pm

I liked it. Better than the premiere, anyway. I've never been big on history, so I'm still not sold on this American history tour, but I'm enjoying it in spite of that.

I thought the roadblock was good, but could have been better. I was surprised they didn't have a bunch of briefcases at the cluebox, and if you asked the wrong person, they'd take your briefcase and you'd have to run back for another one, like in previous 'match the item' tasks.

How stupid of the Gaghans to spend 2 hours at the wrong pool. They should have clued in when they realized more teams weren't showing up. Careless.

Rogers family made one mistake after the other. Poor Brock. He looked totally pissed.

Go Linzes! Still love 'em and so glad they found a way around the traffic. Last place to second is pretty damn good. Nice job guys (and gal)!

Aiellos still rock. I like the Weavers, but not their screeching. These two and the Linz family are my favs as of this moment.
Giuseppe
fast forwarding

Postby miri on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:25 pm

Giuseppe, I thought the Paolo boy was paranoid about just that happening. He kept inspecting the briefcases like if he didn't ask the right person, he'd be screwed. Another sign that they've seen the show before. But, I too was hoping for a gas shortage!
miri

Postby Maniller Sixty Five on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:42 pm

I was going to just tape and fast forward this week, but what can I say? I'm a TAR junkie and watched it when it aired.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why anyone would mistake the reflecting pools, especially since the clue specified the CAPITOL reflecting pool. Sure, the one at the Washington Monument may be better known, but if you peer into it, you don't see the Capitol.

I thought the Roadblock at the Tidal Basin was kind of cute. I worked downtown for years and kept thinking, er, yeah, walking around tourist spots, in muggy July, dressed in black, and speaking in code is what we do. No, no, really, we do that all the time. (Psst ... the sea is green!)

All in all, I'm still not feeling the love for TAR 8. It just isn't Amazing so far. And BTW, Phil needs more screen time.
Maniller Sixty Five
at the start line

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:55 pm

I wasn't sorry to see the Rogers go, but I did feel bad for Brock. First he gets blamed by his father and everything he says is totally ignored, and then even when Pa Rogers is forced to cop to it being his mistake, he still twists it somehow so that I end up hating him even more. Yuk yuk and yuk.

DJ and Brock ought to switch families.

As for Carissa and her family, I'm starting to enjoy their presence a little more than before also. I was a kid one too, and was probably worse, although I wasn't on people's TV sets. I don't love these guys yet since the pre-hate was so powerful, but given the innocence of the kids, their racing skills, and the fact that there are worse families to watch, these guys are alright.

Sucks that the Linz Family didn't win. I'd be upset if I lost to a family that didn't know where the hell Washington D.C. was, in addition to what the hell Pennsylvania was!!
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby Maniller Sixty Five on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:57 pm

Giuseppe wrote:I thought the roadblock was good, but could have been better. I was surprised they didn't have a bunch of briefcases at the cluebox, and if you asked the wrong person, they'd take your briefcase and you'd have to run back for another one, like in previous 'match the item' tasks.

In this case, it would have been a nightmare. The cluebox and limo where they got the briefcase were over on 3rd Street, I believe, which is quite a distance from the Tidal Basin. They would have had to drive back and forth.
Maniller Sixty Five
at the start line

Postby Giuseppe on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:02 pm

Well yeah, but I when I said "at the cluebox" I meant actually having all the briefcases at the cluebox at the Tidal Basin, not back at the limo.
Giuseppe
fast forwarding

Postby Piperdown on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:03 pm

Damn....the pretty is gone...shitty

Overall not a bad episode, but not too great either. It just doesn't seem to have good pacing, but I don't exactly know why. The Godlewski Girls are definitely more impressive then I thought they would be, and the Gaghans are less annoying. The Paolo have to go though.

I thought the roadblock was a little stupid, but the reflecting pool highlighted the first rule of TAR, read the Fucking clue! It' really just that simple sometimes. I mean that team that wass looking for 2 hours, and never checked the clue? Just too stupid.
Piperdown
TARfly

Postby Shouldabeenontheshow on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:10 pm

I actually hated this episode. I even switched over to the Office for a few minutes. The driving around finding easy clues is STUPID! They need a challenge like the Tin box thing they did in India - that was hilarious when the old couple couldn't find the clue.

The driving around the Eastern Seabooard is LAME! At least make them catch a train or SOMETHING. Of course I'll keep watching cause I want to see what happens, but I really hope they step it up.

Oh and the Rogers' mom needs to be EMBARASSED! The Paolo mom managed the final challenge and the Rogers' mom couldn't??? What the hell? Wuss (though no one is a bigger wuss than the Dad with the three daughters - he should turn in his testicles, he's not a man).
Shouldabeenontheshow
the world is waiting

Postby Piperdown on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:24 pm

I guess even the Amazing Yellow Line thinks this season sucks....it seems to have been replaced by the not-so-amazing red line of suckitude.
Piperdown
TARfly

Next

Return to Past Seasons