TAR 8-1: Go, Mommy, Go! We Can Beat Them!

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

TAR 8-1: Go, Mommy, Go! We Can Beat Them!

Postby Kanuck on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:05 pm

discuss.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby AngleMan on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:07 pm

Okay, you know I think it sucks they aren't leaving the country in the first leg or apparently the second leg is it because of the kids or the teams of 4?

Culture shock is part of the show. and how much does it suck that the Black Family never got to leave the US.
Last edited by AngleMan on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngleMan
the world is waiting

Postby yikes on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:08 pm

Frats! FRATS! (sniff) It almost seems like good times.

And....meh. I liked it enough, but 1/2 the teams must get tossed now. Who between the Paolos, Gag-hans, Weavers (Brandon, we found your long lost family) or Pink Ladies? Your choice.

And though I liked the Black family and will miss any jokes about them, they were always at the back of the pack, so it was fitting enough.

And hello industrial strength eyebrow lift! *swoon*
Last edited by yikes on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby cutecouple on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:14 pm

The more I think about it, the more it seems to be not that different from other shows. Most of the elements are there. The only big difference is families and long road trips, which are something of an American tradition anyway. I imagine it threw some teams for a loop.

I liked it, and will watch again.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby SVNBob on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:14 pm

The Pink Ladies are bugging, seriously. Way too much Woo. The Weavers are really close behind them in that respect though, so a major toss-up on which should be axed sooner.

It'd be nice if the GAGhans never took a first place finish, ever.
SVNBob
road blocked

Postby tazz765 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:17 pm

I'll admit seeing Kevin & Drew was cool. I was wondering if anyone was going to notice them. Those people must not watch the show if only one person noticed. I really hope they do not make the families drive everywhere because watching teams driving for half an episode is annoying. If AR didn't pay for gas the teams would probably get $700 a leg. I'm angry that the teams were only a half hour from here and I didn't even know about it. All in all a good start and we have one less kid team on the race. Yay!
tazz765
at the start line

Postby cutecouple on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:19 pm

I've never seen the Frats before - only read about them. Perhaps we'll see other alumni along the way.

Also, I was deeply reminded of the Robot Chicken Amazing Race skit.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby Kanuck on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:22 pm

I actually cared about several of the teams by the end, which is a step up from some previous seasons, or the current season of Survivor.

I'm not sure what I think of the amazing road trip/history lesson theme, though.
Last edited by Kanuck on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanuck

Postby Giuseppe on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:22 pm

Oh boy. I don't know. It was better than I was expecting, but still. The first half of that episode was just...painful. The second half seemed more like regulation TAR, but I still don't know. Some disjointed thoughts:

The Linz boys are hot.

Man, those Weavers sure are LOUD and annoyingly boisterous. But they seem so happy that I can't find it in myself to dislike them.

NOBODY except the Paolo boy recognized Kevin and Drew???? Automatic philimination for the lot of them.

The Linz brothers are all exceedingly hot.

How DARE they mess with my opening plane shot in the credits! I guess they had to change it to a highway since there apparently isn’t much plane travel this year, but yuck. And I didn’t like the sounds they interjected into the music. Very bad!

The Linz brothers are still hot.

Too bad about the Black family. The youngest looked like he was either gonna cry or go Tae-kwon-doe on somebody's ass.

I want a Linz brother for Christmas. Doesn't matter which one. I like that team. Glad they weren't eliminated.

I cannot wait for TAR9.
Giuseppe
fast forwarding

Postby Abiz on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:24 pm

tazz765 wrote:If AR didn't pay for gas the teams would probably get $700 a leg.

Yeah, though when they showed a gas station at one point, it was only $2.19!! Holy cow! It's amazing how cheap that seems now.

We were also surprised that they didn't have to pay for gas.

What did Phil say about the number of eliminations? My father-in-law was talking and I missed it....
Abiz
taking a detour

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:26 pm

The Paolo family bickering is really, really getting on my nerves. Man, they just get so nasty to each other. I hope they're out soon. Ma Paolo is so out of shape, I don't see how they can last long, fortunately. And the Pink Ladies, aka Team Shriek, are just about as annoying. Phil sounded amused by them on the mat -- this time; I'm sure after a couple legs it'll wear real thin real fast for him, too.

It looks like self-navigation is going to play an even bigger role, and by selecting locations that aren't well mapped -- Blue Rock Road outside of Lancaster, PA? How many zillions of roads with farms on them are there, anyway? -- they can make the lack of language difficulties less noticeable.

All in all, not as bad as I feared. Not as good as I would have liked, but at least it was enjoyable enough that I'm not ready to give up yet.

ETA Phil said seven eliminations, Abiz.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby Bart Ender on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:31 pm

I will have to re-watch, but I think some of the teams may have recognized Kevin and Drew, but didn't talk to them a la the Paolo kid.

While in NYC for TARCON7, I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, so I recognized where they were. Where Phil stood by the Statue of Liberty is where the park ranger guy told me was the best spot in the whole island to take a picture of Miss Liberty. Places I have been, thanks to y'all. Yeah!

I really liked the premiere. Maybe not as much as other seasons, but all in all, a great show.

While it's a shame to lose the black family, I'm not too sorry to lose the Black Family - they had no personality, and seemed a little odd to me.

I hope the "we're getting beat by kids" doesn't become the new "Rob and Amber" or "Twin Hunt". But I have a feeling that the Gag-hans will be this season's Colin and Christie - a team that annoys me, yet I must respect the way they play the game.
Bart Ender
fast forwarding

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:35 pm

And I do have to give it to young Carissa -- she did seem to display an excellent ability to spot locations. Perhaps her GAG-worthy perkiness pays off in that regard.

And when she and her brother started singing "She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain" as the Aiello team came up? It sure looked like Papa Aiello wanted to get out and go strangle them. Something tells me he heard that from his own kids one or three thousand too many times. Hee!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby Northwoods101 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:40 pm

Hours in the car and not a single, he's touching me or She isn't staying on her side of the car! So far so good. I already hate the Poalo boys, the father needs to be a man and put them in their place. The linz brother in the orange shirt needs to go also. At this point I'd like the Gadsen's(sp) to win, but that is still subject to change. Great to see Kevin & Drew, and really sad only the Poalo knew who they were. Once again Phils dresser needs to fired, the Amish shirt was really bad.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby bubbaboy8 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:55 pm

I think more than one team recognized them, especially since at one point Kevin said "No, I'M Kevin, he's Drew."
bubbaboy8
the world is waiting

Next

Return to Past Seasons