***** SPOILERS FOR TAR8 *****

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby SVNBob on Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:56 am

The clue box with the "new" colors is a more reliable spoiler than that sign. If it were an official TAR HoO sign, it most likely wouldn't be a hand-written one. However, it's possible that the sign is a dirty trick pulled by one team on others.
SVNBob
road blocked

Couple more pics.

Postby BuffaloNY on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:01 am

BuffaloNY

Postby rabrab on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:04 am

That's what I was thinking, too, Bob, at least about the sign. Haven't the HoO signs (the ones that change the time from normal hours, anyway) all looked like quick-and-dirty Paint-generated jobbers? Black type on yellow paper?
rabrab
TARfly

HoO

Postby BuffaloNY on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:07 am

What was so weird about that sign is that no other attraction has it. The hours are posted for the general public at the main information building near the American Falls. They're also printed on all the brochures that are readily available throughout the park.

A sign like that would have to be put up for visitors who had bypassed all of that: and Terrapin Point is out on Goat Island, which you have to either drive or ride to if you want to avoid a 20 minute walk.
BuffaloNY
the world is waiting

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:03 am

Well, while it may suck that we may hear Phil say, "This is the [whatever] pitstop in a race around America." although 2-to-1 he'll still say, "This is the [whatever] pitstop in a race around the world," and given the format as well as the absence of the old-but-not-original colors (a.k.a. shout out to the original but added to the cluebox this time around), to hear these sightings makes my smile. As mentioned, any TAR is better than no TAR. Still, I don't think it should be called TAR8 (just call it TAR Family and label this upcoming spring's TAR as TAR8), but the fact of there being no TAR was making me sick. Whew!

BuffaloNY, thanks for sharing the photos. Rather than putting IMG tags around the links, it would be easier to put the URL tags around them so that the links can work (of course, if it's considered direct-linking, nevermind).
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby Tribefan on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:41 am

Thanks for the photos, BuffaloNY, and welcome!

If the Race was barely going to leave the US, I can totally understand them changing the colors. It's bad enough that there are spoilers galore, at least with the new colors they're not completely screaming "Hey look! We're filming The Amazing Race!!!"
Tribefan
official tush photographer & fish tease

Postby yikes on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:08 am

Rachel RSL wrote:
I'm loathe to believe any of them. I just don't see how the Race can be over already. Unless they have less teams then in previous seasons.

The Alabama article that leaked the Moon Buggy information said that there were "8-10" teams arriving but 11 teams started the race.

New colors? Well, isn't it more back to the old since that was the color of the flags in the first season? It seems to be a pretty short race overall unless a lot of it were 1 day legs as compared of racing 3 day legs that has become more of the norm due to all the potential young ones involved. Plus with all the attacks overseas in the past month must have made production rethink the course.
yikes
fast forwarding

Buffalo Guest - We must have been there together.

Postby Niagara Falls Guest on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:21 am

That sign on the Cave is always there, I assure you. For some reason the Falls puts up hand written signs for every attraction on the doors. It makes no sense. Look at the Trolly Booths and the Festival Theatre ticket booth.

I have from an unconfirmed source that they WANTED to do the Cave of the Winds but couldnt - because the Cave people wouldnt close the attraction for a few hours like the TAR people wanted. The Cave is a guided tour of all the platforms. No way would they just let someone run to the Top - too many non-english speaking people would think it was ok and run with them.

I have been asking around - THat Box went up at 12:30PM - the first two teams came through a little before 1:30PM (I have vague descriptions on both").

I got there at 2PM. Started taping and proceeded to tape the box, the lady standing next to it, and the THIRD team to arrive. I will be sending that tape to a TAR Sucks Admin who hopefully will post it for me. I only saw two or three other people there who even realized what was going on...and only one other videotaped it.

You can forget the Montreal and Boston rumors...they were in Niagara Falls...Toronto however is only two hours of a drive from us...and if it was early enough, it seems extremely logical.
Niagara Falls Guest

Postby Tribefan on Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:28 pm

I have vague descriptions on both.

Welcome, Niagara Falls Guest! Can you share your vague descriptions of the teams with us?

Also, here's further confirmation that the Race was in Niagara Falls yesterday.
Tribefan

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:12 pm

haha I might know those people quoted in the article.

Its definitely true.

The teams? The first two are VERY vague. Just average white american families, I was told...at least four kids, possibly five, and possibly one team with three kids. One of the women was very large...around 6 foot and 250lbs.

The team I SAW was a couple with two kids. Both kids were girls. The dad was rather plain and his older daughter (16?) was much more athletic and pretty with dark hair. The wife was a bit out of shape and looked like a normal american housewife a bit frumpy - no outstanding good or bad features while the other daughter was about 11 or 12 with lighter hair and also a bit out of shape.
This was not a typical Final 3 team.

I saw them carrying one of the Route Info cards (blue in color) and the older daughter was very happy to have read it.

They didnt respond to my "good lucks".

Postby Piperdown on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:19 am

I was told...at least four kids, possibly five, and possibly one team with three kids

How is that possible. All teams have to have the same amount of players right, so how could you have a team with five kids. Plus, is that 5 kids plus parents, or just a team of 5 kids? Neither of which makes any sense. The team you personally saw makes total sense though, so thanks for that description.
Piperdown
TARfly

Postby Rachel RSL on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:36 am

too many non-english speaking people would think it was ok and run with them.

I can just see a Team running up to Phil and him saying: "Martin Family.....and, uh, 20 random Chinese tourists, you are team #4!"

Personally, I am really disappointed in the way TAR 8 seems ot be shaping up. I don't there's ever been this many spoilers so early, have there? Which makes me think that they spend WAY too much time in North America. Also, I don't ever remember this many spoilers being published in the mainstream media before. It's like they aren't even trying to keep things quiet this time.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby DariaG on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:20 am

That gets back to the various ways in which Family TAR is a bad idea. Can an 8-year-old even legally sign a contract? I don't think so. The parents can on the child's behalf, but that's meaningless. In other words, there's no way to guarantee that the children involved will not talk. The parents can say "oh, sure, my children will keep the winner a secret" but they can't lock the kids in their rooms for 6 months, and that's the only way they'd keep the kids away from other children. And at least one of the children involved is going to tell a friend. I predict we'll know the winners fairly early on, and it will be "my daughter Caitlin is in the 7th grade with MacKenzie, who was in the race, and she says that MacKenzie says . . . ."

So why bother going to the usual extremes to ensure secrecy? It won't work anyway, so why waste the effort?
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:54 am

Maybe they're not worrying about all the public outings of Racers flying by because it prevents suggestions that the kids are being driven before their parents, weeping, exhausted, and starving, by whips and blows or something of the sort. That plus shorter legs is a good way to dispel accusations of mistreatment of kids up front. Because from everything I hear, the pace of a regular race would put most kids in the hospital before they were halfway around the world.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby bluelena on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:44 pm

That makes a lot of sense, Mama Tiger. I didn't think about them having to run shorter legs for the sake of the kiddies.
bluelena
TARfly

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons