Episode 7-5 I've Been Wanting a Face-Lift for a Long Time

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Episode 7-5 I've Been Wanting a Face-Lift for a Long Time

Postby miri on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:56 pm

Gretchen gave us a gumption check - and made me feel bad for hating her voice. (Still don't like it, but she's tough.)

Is the Rob and Amber show done yet? Go Phil for mentioning the not-stoping on the mat. I mean, you could at least roll down the window and yell, "Ya need some help?" even if you don't meant it.

Of course, that still doesn't take away from the Ray hate. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Giuseppe on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:03 pm

That was simply awesome. I was surprised so many teams chose the Food option. I thought the Water sounded easier right off the bat. Thank God the brothers pulled a Reichip and realized they should do the other option to stand a chance. And...the best footrace to the mat since the TAR2 finale.

Rob and Amber can suck it.
Giuseppe
fast forwarding

Postby Isabella19 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:03 pm

Well that was nice...

Seems to me the wheels came off the Romber love train this week. They did a major character assassination of those two. Is that a Philimination foreshadow or is redemption in the forecast?

I (amazingly) loved Gretchen and Meredith, whom beforehand I'd been meh about. And now I know who Joyce reminds me of--Eartha Kitt.
Isabella19
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Big Slick on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:05 pm

Best episode of several seasons!
What a freaking great finish!

And some serious scary drama!
And a great non-elim penalty!
And bad guys getting cut!

I LOVE THIS SHOW!
Big Slick
TARfly

Postby DariaG on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:07 pm

There was no excuse for Romber's behavior. None. "It's a race" does not provide an excuse for bad behavior, no more than "it's/they're funny" excuses bad behavior. Interesting how they claim to be such fans of the race, but don't understand the prevailing ethic, which is that you would indeed help each other out in a situation like this. If the other teams have seen this in them all along, I excuse all the hatred and nasty comments directed at them. Pigs.

And yet my Ray-hate was even stronger than my Romber-hate. That Philimination was quite gratifying. I'm really happy that he's off my TV. And what happened to her eyes? It looked like she didn't put sunscreen around them and picked up a burn, but it was hard to tell.

I loved the tribal matching detour and wish more teams had done it. All in all, a good, long, dramatic episode.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:08 pm

Omigod, my poor dogs were freaked at my shrieking at the TV as the brothers came pounding in to the mat. Most satisfying ending in a long time -- fabulous footrace to the mat! Can't say I'm sorry to see Ray go, either.

And not only was Phil's frosty disapproval at the mat of Rob & Amber not stopping for the accident lovely, but I liked the way Lynn & Alex pointed out that they'd stopped and thereby lost two places, but "some things are more important." Which was exactly what I'd been saying, although perhaps not in the same smug tone.

I was so glad to see the Brothers stay, though! They are just hilarious, and seem like really sweet, good guys! Saying a prayer for their cameraman, and then weeping at the mat.....damn, that was practically a tearjerker.

But is that new non-elim twist the most evil thing ever, or what? And wouldn't you know that Uchenna & Joyce would, un-asked, bring Meredith & Gretchen a bag of clothes? I am so not surprised.

Okay, it's now time for Rob & Amber to go. They've gone one step too far, from enjoyable tweaking of other teams to downright nastiness.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby cutecouple on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:09 pm

The thing with the food option was that it would only go quickly if the teammates could work together and in rhythm, like playing a drum. Ray and Deana have such bad chemistry that it was almost a given that they'd fail.

I wonder if it would have been against the rules for another team to give the brothers a lift.

It would have been nice to find out that everyone helped Meridith and Gretchen out by any other way then a snarking Rob. Wasn't there a clip of Meridtith or Gretchen thanking everyone?

As big as assholes as Lynn and Alex were for not sharing their van, I will credit them for finding a chink in Romber's armor. But that doesn't excuse Romber (or mostly Rob) seeming to be assholes in return. Whatever happened to taking the high road? When Romber are down on their luck, they certainly are a pouty pair. But they certainly seem to have their race faces on now. The only thing that saved them were their fans. And Rob's ablity to suck.
Last edited by cutecouple on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby Isabella19 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:12 pm

Yeah, Rob looked like a thug this episode. Bullying Lynn and Alex to share their cab. Like he said when he refused to stop for the Brothers 'it's a race!' They need to get ahead of you.

Oh and I am now officially sick to death of them getting help from Survivor fans along the way. If the TAR PTB learn anything from this experience, it's please don't put Rupert or anyone else in this game. It's so not fair to the other teams.
Isabella19

Postby DariaG on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:13 pm

And Rob and Amber are showing signs of fatigue. You can sort of tell who's dealing with it as a constant, and who's been thrown off by it. Uchenna and Joyce, Lynn and Alex, and the brothers are holding on pretty well, all things considered. Ron and Kelly are borderline, and both Meredith and Gretchen and Romber are showing their fatigue now. It was hard to tell with Ray and Deana, because he was so vile and they were so dysfunctional, it was hard to see beyond that.
DariaG

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:14 pm

But it still was kinda nice of them to take their African Fern all the way to the mat with them. Since she was responsible for them getting there. I didn't realize Survivor was shown in South Africa, although I probably should have. Too bad R&A didn't get held up more at that clinic by all their fans.....
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby cutecouple on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:14 pm

Isabella19 wrote:Yeah, Rob looked like a thug this episode. Bullying Lynn and Alex to share their cab. Like he said when he refused to stop for the Brothers 'it's a race!' They need to get ahead of you.

Oh and I am now officially sick to death of them getting help from Survivor fans along the way. If the TAR PTB learn anything from this experience, it's please don't put Rupert or anyone else in this game. It's so not fair to the other teams.
Or conversely, all the contestants could be from Survivor, and none of them would have a special advantage (but they'd still probably have fans come out of the woodwork).
cutecouple
bunched

Postby cutecouple on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:16 pm

Mama Tiger wrote:But it still was kinda nice of them to take their African Fern all the way to the mat with them. Since she was responsible for them getting there. I didn't realize Survivor was shown in South Africa, although I probably should have. Too bad R&A didn't get held up more at that clinic by all their fans.....
There's an interesting potential strategy there - other teams pointing out that R&A are in the house so that they get mugged by fans.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby GinevradiBenci on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:16 pm

Dear lord, that was thrilling. I was screaming at the tv for the brothers to make it. To think I was ready to loathe them because of Brian's reported Fear Factor toolishness, and now I adore them.

Bye, Ray! Like Debbie and Bianca, you hit the motherload of leg prizes, and then got the boot. You ran one good leg and actually seemed like decent people, only to piss it all away the next leg.

I'm not sure how Meridith and Gretchen are doing this, but they're doing it. They're not at all my favorite oldster team, but I'm impressed by their grit. Somewhere, MJ is giving her tv set the finger.
GinevradiBenci

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:21 pm

I think the majority of the credit for Meredith & Gretchen's success is due to Meredith -- he's keeping Gretchen motivated and going even when she's giving up. He seems to have a reserve of stamina that we haven't seen in many older Racers -- is it from his swimming, I wonder? Because that sure gets you in superior physical condition.

That cave task seemed considerably more dangerous than a lot of TAR tasks. I personally would have chosen the other task if for no other reason than I'd have an attack of screaming claustrophobia in there, but also because that cultural village would be far more interesting, I would think. Kudos to Gretchen for urging Meredith to go back and find the clue while she was being bandaged up, however. And I about fell off the sofa laughing at the one brother talking about stuffing the other into his sleeping bag as a kid and not letting him out!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby Spy Chadwick on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:23 pm

That was a great episode. As a non-fan of Rahb and Ambah, it was beautiful to see their true colours come out. And Ambah's inability to make a decision was certainly telling. To me, it epitomised her whole behaviour on Survivor: tagging along - be it Jerri or Rahb - but never deciding.

Also, has Phil said this season that no more than one team member can do six Roadblocks? If not, then why? Methinks that that might be to accommodate Rahb and Ambah, because we all know that he does the Roadblocks (except for tonight's shopping spree, at which Ambah was hopeless, until that fan saved her bacon).
Spy Chadwick
the world is waiting

Next

Return to Past Seasons