Episode 7-4 What a Gaucho You Are

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Episode 7-4 What a Gaucho You Are

Postby miri on Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:55 pm

So that's what's up his...

Oh. Nevermind.

Discuss.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby DavidK93 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:58 pm

Snerk.
DavidK93
at the start line

Postby Hildy on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:02 pm

Hee. I'm sorry, I know that Rob and Amber are arrogant and smug and a little obnoxious, but I can't help it, I adore them as a team. They're having such fun fucking around with the other teams' heads, and so very successfully, too. Lynn and Alex just almost come unhinged when they see them coming, it's ridiculous. I loved the karmic slap on their agita-ridden asses when the boat broke down.
Patrick? Your mom was exactly right, nevah, evah, give up. It coulda been a non-elimination, for chrissakes. Sheesh.
And Ray? Cannot stand that man. Now, why is it when Rob is arrogant I just laugh, but when Ray is I want to wrap his ear hairs around his neck and pull tight?
Hildy
taking a detour

Postby DavidK93 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:04 pm

It's because Rob is awesome, while Ray is an asshat. I'm beginning to buy into the theory that we don't any of us judge Racers purely on their actions, or said actions purely on their merits.
DavidK93
at the start line

Postby miri on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:04 pm

Hildy wrote:And Ray? Cannot stand that man. Now, why is it when Rob is arrogant I just laugh, but when Ray is I want to wrap his ear hairs around his neck and pull tight?

No kidding. Ray believes his own press. Rob? He laughs at his.
miri

Postby djeber on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:05 pm

By all rights, I should be loving this season. It's got mostly interesting legs, a lot less mid-leg bunching, and no truly horrible teams (yet). What's more, Rob and Amber have turned out to be very clever, interesting players.

And yet, so far, this season just really isn't grabbing me. In fact, other than Rob and Amber, there's no one else on the show I really care about. I dislike half of the remaining teams, and I'm indifferent to the other half. This week, the only two moments I found interesting were waiting to see if Rob and Amber would make it to the plane in time, and waiting to see which of the final three teams would fall behind.

I think I'm just getting burned out. As much as I like the show, I think there needs to be some downtime between seasons.
djeber
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby DariaG on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:10 pm

Now, why is it when Rob is arrogant I just laugh, but when Ray is I want to wrap his ear hairs around his neck and pull tight?

Because Rob is an assy funny guy, and Ray is just an ass? He really got on my nerves tonight, too, though not as badly as Patrick, whom I wanted to smack into the next ice age. I realize we all go through a falsely self-important phase when breaking away from our parents, but he should be about 5 years past that. The little bitch.

And I thought Gretchen was hilarious tonight. I must have gotten used to her voice. Do I think she and Meredith are in it for the long haul? No. Do I think they're tougher than they look? Yep. And I love her constant references to sex, mostly because I know they're going to squick out people who, when they get to that age, will be offended if anyone else is offended at the notion of them as sexual beings. If Meredith and Gretchen are happily humping in their old age, more power to them, and I hope I can be just like them when I'm that old myself. But without the voice.

This was a weirdly laid out leg. Not bad, but not particularly good, either. I liked the gaucho challenge, and there were a lot of short little travel blocs, which I like. The detour was a disappointment, however. I think it was probably designed on the assumption that it would film more interesting than it did.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:18 pm

There had to have been something we weren't shown about the second Detour option, however -- otherwise why would so many teams have gone for the needle-in-a-haystack option when the other was a straight shot go-4-miles-here-and-get-your-clue option?

Gretchen's voice, alas, has not ceased to bother me. When they got to the second flight and she started running her verbal nails on a chalkboard through my nervous system, I was really glad we'd at least had more than half an hour without her.

Rob and Amber have clearly inherited the Luck of the Evil. Which thrills me -- they are just doing a number on so many other teams, it's hilarious! They had so much luck this leg -- stumbling on the Roadblock ranch, finding the boat so easily, making that first flight (!!) -- that Papa T. and I were on the phone to each other laughing so hard we could hardly talk. These two are definitely Racers to contend with! But now I'm even more hoping for them to end up well and truly Guido'd -- and something tells me that's going to happen. Hee!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby GinevradiBenci on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:19 pm

Every time I start to have an inkling of liking Ray, he says something obnoxious. But I still hate Deana much more. She needs to develop some willpower and drive. Whine, whine, whine, I can't, I can't, it won't, I can't.

Rob and Amber raced the hell out of this leg.

Lynn and Alex, I really wish you two would just shut the hell up.
GinevradiBenci

Postby Isabella19 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:21 pm

I agree about Rob. He's arrogant, but he's got real style to go along with it. Ray, however, is just arrogant. And he sooo reminds me of *, except a bigger, buffer version. Similar relationship vibe, though between Ray and Deana and * and Victoria.

As for Livia and Caligula, I'm thrilled to see them gone. They both irritated me and they both creeped me out. So pleased this was an elim. Phil didn't seem overly impressed with this team either. (And Susan's theatrical tears at the end? Bleccch!)

The detour was just boring to watch.
Isabella19

Postby leew261 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:21 pm

I'm sorry, I know that Rob and Amber are arrogant and smug and a little obnoxious, but I can't help it, I adore them as a team.

Because Rob and Amber are arrogant, smug and more than a little obnoxious, I can't stand them. The sooner they leave, the better.
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby PButtercup on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:22 pm

Mama Tiger wrote:But now I'm even more hoping for them to end up well and truly Guido'd -- and something tells me that's going to happen. Hee!

Oh, that's the only thing keeping me going, the thought that Rob will outsmart himself like he did on Survivor. I find both him and Ray smug asshats and hope they go down hard.
PButtercup
road blocked

Postby Giuseppe on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:25 pm

Do y'all think Gretchen knew what she was saying when she referred to themselves as a menage a trois?
Giuseppe
fast forwarding

Postby theschnauzers on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:26 pm

It was a strange leg. I'm about to replay in on tape, because some parts, especially the detour were quite confusing.
Did I imagine it, or did several teams appear to declare to do the one detour option (shipwreck) and end up doing the other one (island)? Because that is what it seemed like to me. And no one seems to have been penalized for it.
And this is the first time I can recall the "replace but no time credit" rule being applied to anything other than a car or SUV.
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby Isabella19 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:28 pm

Do y'all think Gretchen knew what she was saying when she referred to themselves as a menage a trois?

Yes I do. Sex in all its infinite variations was invented a long time before the pretty young people on the show discovered it.
Last edited by Isabella19 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabella19

Next

Return to Past Seasons