Episode 7-3 Do You Need Some Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation?

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Episode 7-3 Do You Need Some Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation?

Postby miri on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:54 pm

Enough with the food crap!
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:59 pm

Enough with the food crap!

I know!

Also? Shut up Gretchen.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby Giuseppe on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:04 pm

Jeez...Tian/Jaree and Monica/Sheree, Kami/Karli and Linda/Karen, Meredith/Maria and Lena/Kristy, and now Megan/Heidi and Debbie/Bianca. Why do the f/f teams always go out back to back?

That, btw, was a crap episode IMO. They got off to such a strong start with the first two, but this episode...I didn't like it at.all. And it may have been a smart move, but I still don't like Rob. On the upside, maybe that'll finally teach TPTB to lay off the food challenges.
Giuseppe
fast forwarding

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:07 pm

Also, Charla/Mirna to add to the other two (sort of).

And that sucked too. 6 teams remain, and the only way not to have a F/F team in the final three was for...I don't even want to say it.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby DouginNYC on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:10 pm

What a horrible choice for episode title. I don't want to think about that with those two (even if it would get Gretchen to shut up).

I thought I would love the episode because I think driving and directions really separate the good teams from the bad, but I hate the food challenges. I give Rob & Amber so much credit for getting to Argentina first and then coming up with the quitting plan. He is so good at thinking on his feet. I feel like I should be outraged at all the quitting but I can't get over my anger at TPTB for putting them in that situation.
DouginNYC
road blocked

Postby Hildy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:10 pm

It may have been smart, but it still bugged me that Rob got away with that. Annoying. Perhaps they shoud go back to the 24 hour penalty, it's got a little more teeth. But judging from the the elapsed time on those penalties, it took hours to eat that meat. Pretty boring episode, I agree.
And can we please dispense with the 'Yaay! we beat Rob and Amber crap?" How about "Yay! We came in first in this race?" Have a little sel respect, teams.
Hildy
taking a detour

Postby cutecouple on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:12 pm

I can't help but think Bolo might have rocked the eating roadblock. And Brian and Greg remind me of Chevy Chase if he were actually likable.

Otherwise, a gorgeous look at Argentina, highlighted by 2 teams inability to navigate, even though one of them actually got directions before they got their car.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby drewfidelic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:14 pm

When did the penalty for not completing a task drop to 4 hours (TAR6 padlocks, TAR7 meat) from 24 hours (Momily in TAR1)?

That eating task was ridiculous-- 4 lbs of meat is a heck of a lot of food.

As smart as Debbie and Bianca raced in the first leg, by driving two and a half hours the wrong way the first time they had to self-navigate, they certainly didn't prove themselves to be among the strongest all-female racers...

What a horrible choice for episode title. I don't want to think about that with those two (even if it would get Gretchen to shut up).

"Shut the f@$k up and row!"

Sorry Gretchen, but you're no MJ.

While this may not have been the most exciting episode ever, at least there wasn't a massive bunch immediately before the pit stop. The teams that got lost ended up having to pay the price for getting lost.
Last edited by drewfidelic on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drewfidelic
yielded

Postby Fukui San on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:18 pm

What a weird episode.

A five hour mistake is almost made up for.

Four hour penalties are shrugged off.

Rob is conniving, but when he makes his own breaks I have to admire his head for gameplay. He's seriously going to make TPTB rewrite the rulebook.

Girls, I had high hopes for you, but you drove 2.5 hours in the wrong direction and you even speak Spanish and had a map. There was just no excuse. But Debbie's snarfing down the meat will be commended. Anyone who actually finished gets points in my book.

I love the brothers and their self-introduction at the beginning. They're the right kind of goofy.

Lynn & Alex didn't win anything, did they?
Fukui San
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby DariaG on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:20 pm

I thought the tasks were tepid at best, but none of the teams pissed me off. That's a first for me.

If the teams start rebelling at the food challenges, maybe TPTB will drop them in future seasons, though I think they're more likely to turn the 4-hour penalty into a 6- or 8-hour penalty instead.

I also felt that we didn't get the full benefit of the scenery in the Andes.

And how did Debbie & Bianca manage to stay that lost for that long? Getting lost is not the issue here, it's staying lost. That was weird, IMO.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:20 pm

As long as they're going to have crap tasks like eating 4 pounds of meat (or a kilo of caviar, or a bowl of Tabasco soup), I'm all for Racers figuring out a way within the rules to avoid the whole damn task. What I can't figure out is how Rob persuades so many other people to do something that's inherently against their own self-interest! Damn, he really IS a mental magician!

Not to mention that the people who ate all that meat? Are going to be SO miserable -- don't eat for two days, then eat four pounds of greasy meat? No rest at the Pit Stop. Eww.

But I've now added to my life-list-in-the-making, "Drive from Chile to Argentina over the Andes." (And Papa Tiger tells me that if you add rice paddies and make the road half as wide, you also have the drive to Bagio in the Phillipines.)
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby DariaG on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:24 pm

What I can't figure out is how Rob persuades so many other people to do something that's inherently against their own self-interest! Damn, he really IS a mental magician!

I thought he made a pretty reasonable argument that it was also in their self-interest. Granted, Rob never does anything that doesn't benefit Rob first and foremost, but I would have immediately bought into his reasoning.

Speaking of which, in the first episode, I thought I was going to declare Ray & Deanna the TAR7 villains, but I'm sort of liking them. They bicker a bit, but they're not hateful.
DariaG

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:24 pm

ITA with Miss Alli (and everyone else over at TWoP) on the penalty issue. It wasn't so much as scheming or whatever, it was all about strategy. TPTB fucked up with the penalty, which means what Rob and Amber did was completely legit.

Speaking of the penalty, I don't ever remember seeing that the Roadblock used to be 24 hours. All I remember is that not finishing the Detour was 24 hours. I don't think anyone said anything about skipping the roadblock resulting in a 24-hour penalty. Therefore, whatever the consequences are now for that penalty should stand (and were probably there since Day 1). I should still double-check, but that's my understanding of what's going on.

Personally, I'm in the group of folks that believed that the real mission for the Roadblock was not to perform it. Too bad Debbie and Bianca didn't see that, but it really wouldn't have mattered, considering the fact that they were last anyway.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby miri on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:24 pm

I'm not pissed at Rob for quitting. That's just a ridiculous amount of food. It needs to stop. (And I say this as a big eater - as is evidenced by my big ass.) In fact, I applaud him for not being willing to do that to himself and figuring out a way to make it work.
miri

Postby Fukui San on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:31 pm

I'm a big eater, but I can't figure out if I've ever eaten four pounds in a single sitting in one of those 8 course Chinese wedding banquets. I'm guessing not. What was the caviar? 2 lbs?

It looked like the equation for the racers was 3+ hours of eating misery or 4 hours of waiting. Given where they were in relation to the rest of the racers, the sitter outers were completely justified in retrospect.

I wonder if the sitter outers get "credit" for attempting the roadblock given the limits of 6 per person?
Fukui San
eating, sleeping & mingling

Next

Return to Past Seasons