Episode 7-2 The Whole Country Hates Me

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Episode 7-2 The Whole Country Hates Me

Postby miri on Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:55 pm

Have at it! (But use your library voice.)
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Fukui San on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:13 pm

Good race design, great finish. The Roadblock was brilliant. The Detour was pretty good, as both parts had plusses and minuses, but both could have been done better or worse.

Rob is a dick, but he does it with style. And this episode he shows off his race skills impressively. He did paint a big Yield target on his chest, though, with the obstruction of the other teams.

Great finish. A non-manufactured close finish for the second time, and thank god the brothers made it. The girls brought nothing to the table.
Fukui San
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Hildy on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:20 pm

I love Rob, but he takes a smart idea and just gets a little too cutesy with it, and it bites him in the ass. Getting the bus info out of the security guard was good racing, bribing him to keep quiet not helpful, especially when Rob himself can't keep his yap flapped. And the whole thing about not opening the back door of the bus? Unnecessary. Did it really accomplish much beyond gaining them a few minutes?
That said, he was the only one to get all 180 books on that trolley in one shot, and he and Amber really work well as a team. They have good skills so far, but all the cunning strategery is silly.

What's with all the spoonfed flights? I like seeing them dicker around at the airport.

And one fashion note to Phil: A baggy sweater with a rib that gathers in, balloonlike, right below your hips is really not your best look. It's not anybody's best look. Even Heidi Klum appear to have child-bearing hips in that sweater. You, sir, are made for the kind of sweater that has no ribbing on the bottom. Like that black Turtleneck you were rocking last week.
Hildy
taking a detour

Postby Takin it Easy on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Yeah, I agree about Rob, Hildy. He takes unnescessary risks, like with the bus driver, because he can't help himself. But he is cunning as hell. His construction prowess really came in handy.

I really like that money played such an important role here. Mom and Son almost blew it a couple of times.

And Gretchen annoys me. Where do we go? How do we get back? yada yada yada. Broken record much?

The brothers were very classy at the end. I'm happy they showed that because I agree the Blondes didn't add much at all.
Takin it Easy
the world is waiting

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:35 pm

Gretchen is worse than Jonathan.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby GinevradiBenci on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:36 pm

It's getting harder to watch, because while Rob doesn't bug me all that much, my husband is developing a passionate hatred of him. He's never even seen Survivor! But the whole thing with the bribery of the security guard and then the denial that he did it made for some yelling at the tv.

Have they ever done the airline tickets in the clue envelopes thing before?
GinevradiBenci

Postby leew261 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:37 pm

Not until she hits Meredith.
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby drewfidelic on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:38 pm

What's with all the spoonfed flights? I like seeing them dicker around at the airport.

Perhaps to un-bunch teams? The flights may have been scheduled so that all 10 teams were likely to get the same flights, and this way some of the teams actually had a slight advantage as a result of finishing the Roadblock first.
drewfidelic
yielded

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:42 pm

leew261 wrote:

Not until she hits Meredith.

Or surfaces with Blue Hair in the next leg or two.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:44 pm

I suspect the spoon-fed transportation to Chile was strictly for production reasons, to give them a chance to get things set up at the other end. And I'm sure they had to work around the Chilean Library of Congress hours and not the other way around!

The Roadblock was great. I have to admit that a Shoeshine Union was a new one on me. Live and learn!

Papa T. called me at one commercial break to ask why on EARTH these people don't exchange more of their money. They had connecting flights, so they were in TWO airports -- Peru and their connection -- and surely they could have found time to exchange money at either or both! There was no excuse to run out of Chilean money; nobody needed dollars in Chile.

And another important lesson: If you have to buy 3 kilos of something, never EVER trust the scale at a market to be accurate. Always buy a bit more than you need -- it's better than making a second trip, as those teams learned!

Did you see that one guy leaping around in the doorway with his friend after Debbie (I think it was) gave him a kiss after shining his shoes? Hee!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby Hildy on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:44 pm

Or surfaces with Blue Hair in the next leg or two.

Oh, just give her hair some time to outgrow its dye. I think she has naturally blue hair.
Hildy
taking a detour

Postby Fukui San on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:45 pm

Perhaps to un-bunch teams? The flights may have been scheduled so that all 10 teams were likely to get the same flights, and this way some of the teams actually had a slight advantage as a result of finishing the Roadblock first.

I agree. I think it's a half bunch to reward some teams with a faster flight but keep half of them back so that there's a good chance for a close finish, like we got this week and last week.

Better overall design principles for this race than last race so far. A crucial play was made early on that reverberated through the entire episode with Rob's bribery. If this was last season there might be a full bunch right before the Detour or something stupid like that.
Fukui San

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:47 pm

The Roadblock was great. I have to admit that a Shoeshine Union was a new one on me. Live and learn!

Plus, it was a pretty difficult task. It channeled a team that was saved from a non-elim and had to beg. That's what it seemed like to me.

Hopefully TPTB will stick to these Roadblocks and move the hell away from the eating roadblocks. Hell, they could even through in a "Hair-shave or take a 24-hour Penalty" roadblock!
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby miri on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:59 pm

Didn't they get $400 for this leg? How come they were all running out of money? What cost so much? Or was it that they only had US dollars? It looked like some paid in US dollars, though.
miri

Postby Piperdown on Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:03 pm

drewfidelic wrote:What's with all the spoonfed flights? I like seeing them dicker around at the airport.

And this is exactly what I suggested a few weeks ago, after the buncharific season 6. I really like the way they're laying out the race this year. One bunch point at the beginning, and then race your ass off.

They really had me at the end, I thought of sure that the brothers were way ahead of the Barbies, and that the closeness was edited in.

I think rob is trying to create mischief because A) As someone said, he can't help it, but also B) because he's trying to throw the other teams off their game. Rob is smart, and competent, and he knows that if the other teams are focused on him, they won't be focused on the race, and will make mistakes.
Piperdown
TARfly

Next

Return to Past Seasons