Episode 7-1 Courteous? This is a Race!

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Episode 7-1 Courteous? This is a Race!

Postby miri on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:56 pm

And they're off!
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Rachel RSL on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:02 pm

Well, there goes the one team I liked. Damn shitty ass slow cab driver! I'm really bitter!

It was still better then all of Season 6 though. And $10 000 for winning the leg? Cool!
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby cutecouple on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:06 pm

Chuck and Ryan, wish we could have gotten to know you better on the Race, hopefully you had a good time at Sequesterville, and have a chance to make it to TARCon.

It was decent, watching the teams figure out that they needed to run their own race, seeing Romber with the target on their back, and teams trying to play each other. Except that watching teams trying to play each other detracts from racing.
Last edited by cutecouple on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:07 pm

So let me get this straight...Phil just gave the winners $10,000?!

That's it! I've gotta call it now. The winners of TAR7 will each receive a new car, to add to their million. It's ironic, however, that money was given this time around, with Rob and Amber being on the show this season. Then again, the prizes weren't always trips in the past. I could really care less about winning a camera, though.

Hey Patrick! Shut up.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby Hildy on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:07 pm

No kidding, I was sorry to see that team go--they seemed funny, and likable. I'd much rather have seen the Barbies take a hike. Bah. Didn't particularly hate anybody, although I have a strong suspicion that a couple of these folks are not going to wear well at all. Llama spitting was good fun, however.
Hildy
taking a detour

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:10 pm

I'd much rather have seen the Barbies take a hike.

Same here, Hildy. Same here. However, they're hot, so it's no total loss. But it better pay off (there needs to be a female/female team in the final three).

I'm still bitter about how the F/F teams were wiped the fuck out last season, and even worse, for TAR5, there were seven remaining teams, three of which were F/F. The only way to not see a F/F in the final three were for the three F/F teams to get knocked of consecutively.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby Isabella19 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:15 pm

Damn! My favorite team out at the first pitstop. I loved those two.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not feeling the love for many of this bunch. I'm surprisingly fond of Romber. I don't mind the (gay?) girls who came in first. Don't mind the brothers. It's more the teams I really don't like. At the top of that list is Patrick and his carniverous-looking mom. She skeeves me out and I want her gone with maximum impact. I'm not fond of her kid either. He has some weird fixation on Rob and Amber. I don't feel much love for the wrinklies.

And what's with the guy that looks just like * would look if he did a few weights occasionally?
Isabella19
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Hildy on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:23 pm

I'm surprised that Lynn and Alex weren't penalized for their tuk tuk instead of rickshaw ride to the sand pile dig, too.
Hildy
taking a detour

Postby Kanuck on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:24 pm

Disappointing ending, but a good premiere otherwise. Good tasks and locations, and actual suspense at the end. For the most part, the teams seem to be enjoying the Race, and there's thankfully less whining and fighting than the past few years. I still have high hopes for this season, let's hope it's worthy.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:32 pm

I'm surprised that Lynn and Alex weren't penalized for their tuk tuk instead of rickshaw ride to the sand pile dig, too.

Like several people I know say above the guy that bluffs in Hold'em, "They'll get caught." I knew Freddy and Princess were going to get nailed last season, and it's only a matter of time before Lynn and Alex get nailed with a penalty.

BTW, given my respect for this team, and given the fact that the past three winners were hit with massive penalties, this could be a good thing, if they don't get eliminated or ever come in last.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:40 pm

That tuk-tuk took Lynn & Alex way out of their way, though, and they had to run back quite a ways on foot. I suspect that may have been considered penalty enough.

Good episode, except for the ending -- I was sorry to see those guys go, too. Whoever thought to send the teams straight to that kind of altitude was my kind of sadist. And animal hijinks in the first leg? Excellent!

Now I'm beginning to wonder if both F/F teams are gay, by the amount of hugging and kissing and I-love-you'ing going on. Papa Tiger certainly thinks so, anyway.
Last edited by Mama Tiger on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby Fukui San on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:51 pm

Yes, apparently the reason that there were no gay racers in seasons 5 and 6 were that they were saving them all up for season 7, the Gayest! Season! Ever! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Like it mostly, though I was distracted by a phone call. Like Mother/Son, the Girlfriends?, and Romber. I don't like that Romber may be able to run into fans across the world randomly, but on the other hand they'll probably be a Yield target. Liked the hillbillies, the brothers. The others are kind of a blur to me. The gay men were kind of stereotypical and mean but they don't annoy me yet.

The stupid assumption made at the sand digging was incredible. Four teams did not take the 30 second walk to the other sand dune to check to see if they in fact had the right one.
Fukui San
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby devajd on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:58 pm

I thought this was a great first episode. Peru was great, the tasks were great, and I don't really HATE many of the teams. It was very well paced, the only bunching was overnight and in the morning flights, but it didn't make a HUGE difference in the end. And I love the new twist of the teams getting money at the end of the leg. That was great! It's shaping up to be a good season.
devajd
bunched

Postby Piperdown on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:12 am

As far as first episodes go, I thought it was a really good show. Lots of tension, and drama with very little arguing which wass nice. I wanted to see the Barbies go, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Didn't want to see the Hillbillies lose though, I thought they were great.

I really like the winning team, and they can go on kissing as much as they want. I can't say I'm in love with a lot of teams, but there aren't any that totally piss me off yet. Dena and Ray? are coming awfully close though.
Piperdown
TARfly

Postby Tribefan on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:51 am

Personally, I wanted Ron and Kelly gone. Kelly is going to be a major pain in the ass, I think. Don't like. I think she's this season's Princess.

Overall, I much, much prefer this year's cast to last year's. Definitely more "normal" people. I think that the Race is definitely off to a good start.

I thought it was interesting that Phil pronounced Deana's name "De-anna." That was my mom's name and, spelled with two n's, that's the way it's usually pronounced. Deana, however, has only one "n."

And if these people don't stop obsessing about where Rob and Amber are, it's going to bite them in the ass.
Tribefan
official tush photographer & fish tease
official tush photographer & fish tease

Next

Return to Past Seasons