Episode 6-10 It Always Comes Down to the Details

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Episode 6-10 It Always Comes Down to the Details

Postby miri on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:04 pm

Well, poop!
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby mjmarble on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:06 pm

It could've been worse - Kris and Jon could've bit it...
mjmarble
republican godfather nekkid frat boy
republican godfather nekkid frat boy

Postby DariaG on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:11 pm

Damn, that's what I was going to say, Miri.

I did like it better with a certain team finally gone, but we've gone from The Annoying Season to The Boring Season with the elimination of Lori and Bolo.

Damn bunching. I also thought we didn't see much of the scenery at the Roadblock. I'm glad someone did the Elephant Detour. And it was good to see Kris and Jon back in front again.

Now that my hatred is less focused, I can give more of it to Adam and Rebecca.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby GinevradiBenci on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:12 pm

Oh, man, the wrasslers are gone. I was so hoping for a top three finish from them.

OK, a little morbid confession here - the location really got to me, and I didn't expect it. I started crying the second Phil started doing the voiceover for Colombo, although I didn't when they aired the disclaimer. It was the shock of seeing all these people and wondering if they were still alive...I kind of lost it for a minute or two.
GinevradiBenci
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Fukui San on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:12 pm

Worst. Bunching. Ever.

I will say that the six person pool scramble was highly amusing, and the tasks themselves were cool. But this bunching was beyond irritating.
Last edited by Fukui San on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fukui San

Postby DariaG on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Yeah, I thought they handled the tragedy rather tastefully, considering they were still going to show the race and not have a telethon.
DariaG

Postby GinevradiBenci on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:18 pm

They really did handle it tastefully. They showed off the country beautifully, too. I suppose I'm not quite over my bad day, because something about Phil's voice over the scenes of the people just going about their day just got me all weepy.

It was a pretty solid episode, although the bunching did make me upset - not so much because it was A/R who gained from it, but just because it seemed unnecessary when it looked like it was still early in the day.
GinevradiBenci

Postby pseudostudent on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:19 pm

Nooooo! Not Lori & Bolo! Lori was starting to look like she was really enjoying herself, too. That sucks. If only they'd seen the more detailed part of the clue. I can't wait to hear what they have to say tomorrow on the Early Show.

Why couldn't Freddy & Kendra have gone? Why?

On the plus side, yay, elephants! Rooooooo!!!

Also on the plus side, I liked how the producers decided to deal with the tragedy in the region. Understated and tasteful.
pseudostudent
fast forwarding

Postby Red Bubbles on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:19 pm

Well, that sucked and blew. Man, for whatever reason, I am just not digging this season at all. Pretty much whoever's left, I won't care one way or the other if they win or lose. I'm not going to be gnashing my teeth if any of them take the whole thing and I won't be setting off fireworks if any of them win, either. They're just... blah.
Red Bubbles
yielded

Postby Isabella19 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:21 pm

It's official. I am now in love with Bolo. And that monkey shot was gratuitous. OK, he's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but he's not a model, and that makes him aces in my book.

I am so annoyed those two are gone, even though I was certain they couldn't last. My main hope now is Adam and Rebecca. Although if Hayden and Aaron win I wouldn't be too upset.

Agree with everyone that the bunching would have ruined this season if * hadn't ruined it first. I can't understand why they planned it this way as it means there is no sense of tension in the episode. When Rebecca and Adam got on the last train, I thought 'ok, they will get there and find one of those damned Hours of Operation things'. And they did. Yawn.

Edited to add: I must have missed it. Did they say anything about the Tsunami? I didn't hear it but someone called me in the middle. How did they handle it?
Isabella19

Postby JenEx on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:23 pm

I definitely had the same morbid thoughts, Ginevra -- particularly when they got to Galle, as one of our local news stations has kind of adopted that town and is fundraising for it and sending aid workers there.

That said, quite happy for Kris and Jon. Still love them. Sadder to see the wrestlers go than I thought I would be, especially since it was them instead of Adam/Rebecca, who just need to go away. And away from each other. It was really kind of cute how Bolo kept calling Lori "girl" during the climbing.

I would have enjoyed the elephants more if it hadn't been Freddy & Kendra on them. And I heard way more about Kendra's digestive issues than necessary. Ugh.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby DavidK93 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:32 pm

Isabella19, the episode started with a disclaimer about how they filmed this leg in Sri Lanka, weeks (But wasn't it really months?) before the island was devastated by the Indian Ocean tsunami. The episode was dedicated to, I think, the island's residents and the aid workers. At the end of the episode, Phil provided information about relief organizations.
DavidK93
at the start line

Postby rabrab on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:34 pm

They had a voice over and card shots at the very beginning explaining that it was filmed before the tsunami, and dedicating to show to their "friends and co-workers" who were affected and were working to put things back together. Then at the end, before the "stay tuned for previews," Phil did an on-camera commentary that relief agencies need help and that information is available on the CBS website. It was classy all the way around
rabrab
TARfly

Postby Isabella19 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:37 pm

Thanks for that. I came in about 30 seconds into the 'what happened last week' thing so may have missed the intro. But I didn't see anything before the 'next week on TAR' or hear Phil's voice. Any other Canadians hear this? I wonder if CTV didn't carry it.
Isabella19

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:40 pm

Damn, the wrestlers are gone! I was kind of afraid they would be, though, when Bolo right at the beginning was saying how they'd decided to just slow down and read the clues carefully and pay attention to all the details. And then they still didn't. Is the foreshadowing being applied with a heavier hand this year, too? Because it's like the moment you hear a team say something like that at the beginning, it's just a question of when, not if, they end up last on the mat.

Was it me or was Lori probably using some word other than "frickin'," judging by the way Kris and Hayden were mock-cringing giggling at her language as she came back down for her ticket? Not that I blamed her.

Very tasteful the way they handled the whole tsunami business. There's a woman here in New Orleans from Galle who's done a lot of fund-raising, so it was doubly sad to see it the way it probably won't be for at least another generation.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Next

Return to Past Seasons