Episode 6-5 Quit Following Us

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Episode 6-5 Quit Following Us

Postby mjmarble on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:01 pm

Discuss...
mjmarble
republican godfather nekkid frat boy

Postby miri on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:03 pm

Have they ever given away the pitstop like that right at the start? Weird.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby dgorman on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:06 pm

Not at all surprised about that elimination.
It was kind of like shooting Ol' Yeller---sad, but a relief, too.
I thought Phil looked as stricken as I felt at *'s little fiasco there.
Um, Phil? That denim shirt with the contrasting white stitching? no. Really.
Anything else I have to say will have to go under "racers", I suppose.
dgorman
the world is waiting

Postby mjmarble on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:07 pm

No, feel free to discuss the episode at will....
mjmarble

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:09 pm

I don't think they have, miri. At least I can't recall when they did. Apparently, change is inevitable.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby theschnauzers on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:09 pm

Two things: I'm amazed that there were so few media or internet spoilers about Berlin, given how often Americans and others in TAR-viewed countries are in that city, and the crowds that were around several of the locations used in Berlin. Second, the Brandenburg Gate has been a location I've long wanted to see TAR get to, and after flirting with southern Germany in TAR 3 (Munich), it's good to see the Race back in Germany.

I'm not sure that they've been as explicit as they were about giving away the exact scene of the pit stop that was well known to Americans, but I think they've managed to show what turned out to be well known locales before that folks knowledgable about a country did recognize - the Coconut Palace last season in Manila, I think.
Last edited by theschnauzers on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby Red Bubbles on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:10 pm

I feel physically sick after watching that sprint to the finish. I don't care what all anybody else does or says, * is the most evil person to ever run in this race. I think I'm going to go lie down now.
Red Bubbles
yielded

Postby Kanuck on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:12 pm

That was the shirt he was wearing at TARCon, I think.

Overall, a decent episode, but J&V are seriously about to ruin this show for me - I don't enjoy feeling uncomfortable and squciked-out for half of each episode.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:13 pm

Okay, the wiener jokes were just waaay too easy tonight.

My Kendra hatred is rapidly approaching my * hatred. Although it can never catch it, obviously.

Why didn't Phil just kick * off the Race on the spot for the way he hit Victoria right in front of him? Do they have a psychologist available on the Race the way they do on Survivor, I hear, to talk to Victoria? Please?
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby DariaG on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:14 pm

I liked the theme of freedom and oppression that ran throughout the episode. I'm always touched that the producers think we're smart enough and mature enough to get that kind of thing, instead of treating us like we're stupid (most other shows). Thanks, Bertie and Elise!

I liked the beer vs brat task.

And I'm glad Don & MJ are gone. Sad, but it was overdue.

I hate Kendra and *, and strongly dislike Adam & Rebecca (though mostly this week they were just dumb). Poor Phil, having to intervene with * and Victoria. And * did hit Victoria this time. It was unmistakable. I don't want to see anything like that ever again.

(And this is somehow more acceptable than watching two men who love each other kiss each other? Thank you, FCC, for fucking with my head.)
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:18 pm

Mama Tiger wrote:My Kendra hatred is rapidly approaching my * hatred. Although it can never catch it, obviously.

My Kendra hatred has exceeded my * hatred. She's a little attractive, which means I can still tune into the show without the use of the mute button.

DariaG wrote:And I'm glad Don & MJ are gone. Sad, but it was overdue.

ITA, except they should've been Philiminated last week.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby Kanuck on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:25 pm

DariaG wrote:(And this is somehow more acceptable than watching two men who love each other kiss each other? Thank you, FCC, for fucking with my head.)

Since the FCC seems to enjoy getting complaints, anyone (of you Americans) interested in sending in a complaint about *?
Kanuck

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:51 pm

Or Kendra and her pathetic comments?
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby The Last Dodo on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:53 pm

A new animal to add to the TAR beloved animal stable: the eyerolling goat when * was yammering on about something or other toward the beginning. Cracked me up.

I still liked Don and Mary Jean, but I agree that at this point it was basically a mercy killing. But I'd keep them anyday over *...it might have been painful to watch them struggle sometimes, but at least it wasn't downright ugly.

And I'm still flabbergasted that after something as incredibly moving and thought-provoking as that open doorway must have been, that that "breeding" comment could have flown out of someone's mouth. I just don't get people sometimes.
The Last Dodo
taking a detour

Postby miri on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:55 pm

That was the shirt he was wearing at TARCon, I think.

And the next morning at the Early Show.

The Race finally goes to a place I've been! Only when I was there, the wall was still up. You couldn't get to the Brandenburg Tor because it was in the no-man's land between East and West Berlin. It looks very, every different now.

Also, the fact that the Wall "gallery" they went to was called the "East Side" gallery is interesting. I wonder if that was the portion of the wall facing East Berlin or not. Because no one on the East side was allowed to approach the wall - it was pristine. It was the West side that was covered in graffiti.

eta
re the "breeding" comment - yeah, not like they have easy, cheap access to birth control. That comment was nasty as hell.

edited again to say
"First of three pre-determined non-elimination points on the race" - so...how's that going to work?
miri

Next

Return to Past Seasons