Episode 6-1 "The Game's Afoot"

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Episode 6-1 "The Game's Afoot"

Postby theschnauzers on Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:08 pm

What a rush! And for the first time, we got what the premiere deserves, 2 hours.

But at a minimum, that was an absolutely well-conceived first leg!
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:12 pm

Oops, we've got two threads! No problem-o, we can use this one.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby DavidK93 on Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:22 pm

Well, I hope I'm doing this right. It's my first post here at TARflies. Which, apparently, has a forum that can actually be accessed at the moment! Yay!

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode, but I was kind of stymied by the high number of models, actors, etc. It was, like, "dating models," "ex-dating models," "married models," "father and daughter models." Okay, maybe not that last one.
DavidK93
at the start line

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:27 pm

Welcome, David! Yeah, the number of models is pretty horrific.

But to my surprise, I actually didn't hate all of them. I was quite surprised to like Hayden and Aaron, especially when they deviously misdirected the Party Girls an hour and a half out of their way (each way). That was a move worthy of the Guidos! And Hell Boy (or as I like to think of him, Goat Boy, with that little chin tuft) and his partner provided some great amusement with Dieselgate II.

Best line of the episode, though? Lori: "It's so cold my implants have frozen!"
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby devajd on Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 pm

Hee hee - it's too bad they couldn't have made that the episode title.

I was very impressed by all the teams thinking of the weather on the East Coast at the beginning of the episode. They're not a dumb bunch of racers, they just all seem to hate their teammates, with very few exceptions.

I was very surprised that I liked the models and actresses, usually they're anoying, but this time they're they normal people!
devajd
bunched

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:48 pm

Which hurricane would it have been they were talking about, anyway? Charley? The only one that sticks firmly in my memory this season, for some reason, is Ivan.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby theschnauzers on Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:20 am

Close, Mama Tiger, it was actually Tropical Storm Bonnie, which went ashore in the Florida panhandle, and headed northeast towards the Delmarva penisula (close to Baltimore) by August 13th; and the outer bands of Hurricane Charley were also involved in the weather on the east coast by the night of the 13th-morning of the 14th, when the teams would have been scheduled to fly out of the east coast towards Iceland.
Baltimore weather:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBWI/2004/8/13/DailyHistory.html
Boston weather:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBOS/2004/8/13/DailyHistory.html
Tropical Atlantic monthly hurricane summary for August:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2004/tws/MIATWSAT_aug.shtml?
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby mjmarble on Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:36 am

First off, welcome David.

I have to say I was very impressed with the layout of the first leg. I like that there was built in bunching at multiple places and that there was no clear cut better flight. We certainly do have more intelligent teams this year. In the past few years we've been lucky if we had one team that didn't employ the lemming approach to racing (follow the leader straight off the cliff to your Philimination). So seeing people call on the way to the airport to check arrival times and weather conditions was quite refreshing.

I also like that the teams were put on notice from the first that this wouldn't be easy. By forcing them to sleep on a glacier it immediately took them out of their comfort zone. And I felt the tasks were decent, although there was a heck of a lot of driving. And you know there were multiple teams speeding. I wonder if there was any penalty enforcement...

I was also surprised at how loud and pushy these racers are as a group. There's very few I'm 'meh' on. I either like 'em or really dislike 'em. Personally, I like that the more supportive, less obnoxious teams did better collectively.

It was interesting that there were so many teams that were convinced of their demise. 3-4 of the lower finishing teams walked/ran/pushed to the mat believing that the end was in sight. I don't remember a more negative (in outlook) beginning to a race. It was immensely amusing that the team that was the most overconfident was the one that got booted.

Hellboy was damn lucky that the gas station attendant aparently asked if the car really took deisel. The camera work was excellent (although overall a bit more jerky than usual) in catching DIESEL on the door of the gas tank that Hellboy's girlfriend was fumbling with.

Overall a good episode... They really need to drop some of the more annoying teams though...
mjmarble
republican godfather nekkid frat boy
republican godfather nekkid frat boy

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:44 am

DavidK93 wrote:Well, I hope I'm doing this right. It's my first post here at TARflies. Which, apparently, has a forum that can actually be accessed at the moment! Yay!

I guess that explains the 13 pages (as opposed to 26-39) from TWOP'S thread. Man, I'm glad that the show's back! However, I'm neither liking nor hating everyone in general yet.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:00 am

Wow, there are lots of likeable teams this go around - people who seem like they are really enjoying the race. Some of the models were confusing but I hope that the sisters stay around for a while and some of the others. Still not sure who is who. But, if Jonathan is around for much of the race, I may kill myself. I didn't like Lori until she pointed out it was embarrasing for him to have beaten them. I was hoping that the Iceland guy in the boat was going to push him into the water. It was nice of Avi and Joe to run around the Blue Lagoon so I could see the inside again.

Now for the profanity. Shit, damn, fuck, what the hell. Avi and Joe were eliminated? What am I - the kiss of death? Honestly, I just want a team that will last more than two fucking episodes.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby tallskinnylatte on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:09 am

I had read a snippet in one of my rag mags (EW? US? I don't remember) that a reviewer found this season to be disappointing in personalities and challenges. I approached last night's show with that in mind. I couldn't have disagreed more. I thought the people were fun, I LOVED Aaron's little trickery, and the challenges were cool. And how can you not like sleeping in a tent on a glacier??? Oh yeah, and the scenery was phenominal.

Welcome back TAR. We missed you!!!
tallskinnylatte
taking a detour

Postby DariaG on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:27 am

Now for the profanity. Shit, damn, fuck, what the hell. Avi and Joe were eliminated? What am I - the kiss of death? Honestly, I just want a team that will last more than two fucking episodes.

I was stunned. On your behalf especially, I was stunned. I was sure that Adam and Rebecca or Gus and Hera would be out.

Great episode. Yeah, there was a bit too much driving, but I prefer driving to a lot of airport maneuvering. Great tasks. I either love or hate most of the teams -- I still don't know what I think about Gus and Hera, but everyone else has elicited an opinion.

This show is so great!
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby devajd on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:03 am

Speaking of all the driving, Iceland is beautiful, and it was a great way to see the country, but what was with all the random people standing around at the side of the road? I mean - they're driving along the highway with no perceptible village or even single home in sight, and they run across fishermen and women with shopping bags. It just seemed funny.

I felt very bad that M. Darcy's boyfriends got booted first. I liked them, and they were truly funny. When Jonathan found the clue in the glacier lagoon first I had a fit!
devajd
bunched

Postby Mama Tiger on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:08 am

I really suspect they listened to our complaints about not enough self-driving, etc., and tried to apply it this time around. Except they seem to mave missed the one about "not so many models!"

I too thought the sleeping on the glacier the first night was a great wake-up call for the prissy among them that yes, they really will be encountering some conditions they're not used to. Although I am probably not alone in wishing we hadn't been treated to quite so much detail about Gus's snow bath. Or his not-so-tighty whities.

Sorry, M. Darcy, that your team got knocked out right off the bat! If it's any help, I think Whiterabbit is cursing equally strongly at ending up with the front-runner her first time reviewing, so it cuts both ways!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:09 am

It was their own damn fault. Why did they pick that detour? WWWHHYYY!!!
M. Darcy
philpostle

Next

Return to Past Seasons