5.10 - They're Screwing the Helmet to my Head...

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

5.10 - They're Screwing the Helmet to my Head...

Postby miri on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:02 pm

Wow, Colin and Christie are on a roll! (Okay, so most of the teams were rolling this week.)

Was anyone else disturbed by the "birthing" image emerging from the Zorbs created? Just me? Okay. That said, I so want to try that - and I'm a huge wimp!

I don't dislike the Twins, but I'm glad they aren't going to win.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Kanuck on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:31 pm

I liked this episode - intense and interesting without the unpleasantness we've seen too much of this season.

I'm guessing the twins got lost en route to the roadblock/pitstop as it was still light when they found the mud clue, yet it was long past dark when they finally arrived. It was well-edited, though, in that it was tense and wasn't obvious until the end who was in last place. I'm glad the twins were eliminated - I don't hate them, I just don't think they're particularly great racers and they've scraped by way too many times. Dumb luck has to end eventually.

On the NEL money-stripping: none of the teams that came in last were eliminated in the subsequent episode, and it hasn't really been much of a deterrent. In all three cases, teams were able to hit up some tourists/local wealthy folk and within minutes (or so it seems), acquire enough money to compete with the other teams. I'm wondering if, when they instituted the change, TPTB were hoping for more drama and despair. OTOH, it may come into play in later episodes. We've seen situations in the past where teams have saved money throughout the race and it's benefited them at the end, so that could still happen here.

One last note on the money-begging - I think it was smart of B&N to use their downtime at the (obviously upscale) hotel to scrounge for cash and so not waste race time (which could have caused them to miss the flight).
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby Sue Denim on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:58 pm

Kanuck wrote:I'm guessing the twins got lost en route to the roadblock/pitstop as it was still light when they found the mud clue, yet it was long past dark when they finally arrived.

I wonder if they fell behind because Ka*i pushed the air pump aside and blew up the Zorb ball with lung power...

I loved the episode. Beautiful scenery and fun, fun tasks.
Sue Denim
the world is waiting

Postby Mama Tiger on Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:10 am

And I absolutely adored it when Kim got her attitude on Chip, after him nearly blowing it completely by not Yielding the Twins. He clearly understands Rule #1 for a happily married man: At certain times, there is only one right answer, and that answer is, "Yes, dear!"

I was wondering when they headed off to the Zorbing site if they were going anywhere near Hobbiton. Because you could totally see Hobbiton potential in those lovely rounded green hills.

And Phil's "cheap thrills" line? His best this season! Hee!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby MacMadame on Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:03 am

I am glad Chip & Kim didn't Yield the Twinkies. It would have been a waste of a perfectly good Yield. Even not knowing how it would end, you have to figure they'd screw it up somehow. And they did.

I think it's interesting that C&K seemed intimidated by their "speed". Exactly how many legs have the Twins come in ahead of C&K? You'd think C&K would have more confidence in themselves with all their number 1 and number 2 finishes.
MacMadame
TARfly

Postby Kanuck on Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:08 am

I'm sure I've heard of Rotorua (their destination) somewhere, maybe in connection with the LOTR movies.

after a wee bit of searching:
from http://www.rotoruanz.com/trademedia/trademediastory_detail.asp?ID=19
Ian Alexander’s 500 hectare property at Matamata, 55 minutes north of Rotorua, came to the attention of the Lord of the Rings film-makers during aerial exploration looking for the perfect location for ‘Hobbiton’. They transformed his family’s rolling sheep farm into ‘Hobbiton’ complete with 37 hobbit holes, mill, bridge and oak tree.

I knew I'd heard the name - probably on some sort of 'behind the scenes' LOTR thing. Glad to know I'm not completely delusional.
Kanuck

Postby pinkgodzilla on Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:48 am

I am soooooooo happy. At least one of my two choosen teams from the beginning will make it into the final three. So I'll definately have a team to root for this year. I'm crossing my fingers that both make it.

I would love to see Colin and Christie (preferably) or Brandon and Nicole yielded into fourth place. Highly unlikely I know. The yield will probably be the determining factor between 3rd and 4th though. That would be it's greatest effect which Phil (yum) has been talking about.
pinkgodzilla
taking a detour

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:08 am

I want to go to New Zealand now to do those tasks - those looked like fun. And, don't yell at me Rachel, but Colin was looking good last night.

I think I'm going to be a little upset if anyone but Colin and Christie win - they are the only ones really running a great race.

What a tense ending! And, what did happen to the twins - it was dark when then arrived at the pitstop. Unless they left the mudpit right before sunset and it just seemed like it was still early afternoon when they left.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby DariaG on Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:32 am

True, Colin and Christie are good racers, but they're so vile. Or rather, he is, and she's playing along. Ick. I really don't want them to win. Last night's faux-redemption edit did nothing for me.

Supposedly, the twins had a car wreck or got badly lost or something -- it was in a really vague spoiler. But the "big" spoiler was at the NZ airport, when they landed. The kid there had the teams arriving in the right order, although he said there was a difference of 2 1/2 hours between the first and last teams, while there was only 1 hour. Also, Linda and Karen initially got bad directions at the airport, but someone intervened and told them exactly how to get to Rotura, which was an advantage the other teams didn't have.

Loved the tasks.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby Mama Tiger on Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:51 am

Matamata Farm IS Hobbiton? Okay, I would SO be dropping out of the Race to do the LOTR tour of NZ at that point! Damn, I THOUGHT those hills looked like the Shire!

I am holding out hope that the redemption arc edit Colin is receiving is way to try to make us care about him as a prelude to him getting Philiminated, hopefully sooner rather than later. Although if he ends up getting Philiminated next week because he loses it totally, I will be exceedingly gleeful because I still think his Total Assy behavior is going to come back to bite him in the butt. Either way, as long as he gets that karmic bitchslap he has been trying to earn for the entire Race now, I will be doing the Happy Dance all over my house!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby Giuseppe on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:13 am

Wow. TAR in black and white is STILL awesome. Though wrong on every level. Yep, still no cable dammit.

Um...Colin doing a barefoot backflip? I'm sorry, but that was pretty hot.

So it wasdark when the twins got philiminated. I couldn't tell on my tv, but that's what I thought.

Not too sorry to see the twins go, but part of me was hoping Brandon and Nicole wouldn't recover from the no money or would get forever stuck at the mudpit. I don't dislike them, but they just don't provoke any type of reaction from me one way or the other.
Giuseppe
fast forwarding

Postby tallskinnylatte on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:33 am

part of me was hoping Brandon and Nicole wouldn't recover from the no money or would get forever stuck at the mudpit.

Nah, God splashed some bathwater onto the mud for them so they could find the clue.
tallskinnylatte
taking a detour

Postby devajd on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:17 am

I didn't see too much of a "redemption" storyline for Colin and Christie this week. I know they were trying for it, but all that stuff Christie was saying about how their relationship has "grown" seemed like a bunch of hooey to me. That being said, Colin was in his element this week, since he's an Extreme sports nut. There was no stopping them this time. I'm not looking forward to yet another meltdown from him next week. It looked like they were doing something similar to being dragged through the mud in India. Knowing Colin, he's probably having a hissy fit because one team passed them.

I am speculating that someone will use the Yield on Brandon and Nicole. That's just a hunch I have. They've been so under the radar that it seems like that would be a betrayal to them. Also - they are SO wimpy! I can't believe they chose the mud over body boarding. Yeah, right you were concerned about your girlfriends' head Brandon. You're just a scardey cat.

I loved watching the Moms do the water detour. That looked like fun, and it was a big triumph for them, especially since it bumped them into 2nd place. I'm starting to think Daria is right and they will be the ones challenging Colin and Christie for 1st place.

New Zealand looks so great. I think they should go there on every race. There are so many cool things to do!
devajd
bunched

Postby Big Slick on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:54 am

Either way, as long as he gets that karmic bitchslap he has been trying to earn for the entire Race now, I will be doing the Happy Dance all over my house!

Yeah.
Clearly, karma is going to make Colin its bitch.

That "what goes around, comes around" has definitely been a central theme this season.

And . . . apologies and backflips and support for Christie--hello, editing flip-flop. In Survivor, such editing would be a sure sign of impending doom, but, in TAR, that is not necessarily the case. In season 3, Ian's editing turnaround happened at about this time (when they went to Vietnam).
Big Slick
TARfly

Postby Mama Tiger on Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:16 pm

Jeez, way to burst a girl's bubble, Big Slick. Well, it won't work! I am still convinced that the feebly-attempted redemption arc is just setup for Philimination for this team that I hate so much it's just visceral, and nobody and nothing, not even logic, past history, or reality, is going to change that!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Next

Return to Past Seasons