5.9 "If You're Gonna Whine, Just Shut up!"

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

5.9 "If You're Gonna Whine, Just Shut up!"

Postby miri on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:23 pm

Something about Brandon and Nicole approaching the mat let me know it was non-elim. Oh well.

I like the moms, but they were annoying this week. I figure they deserve an annoying week after what the other teams have been up to lately.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby mjmarble on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:48 pm

Heck, Linda was even annoying Karen. So I think you get a pass on being annoyed miri.

They played the fact they knew they'd be eliminated way too much for it not to be a non-elim leg. You knew that B&N wouldn't do the Fast Forward. Models lose their hair??? Not a chance.
mjmarble
republican godfather nekkid frat boy
republican godfather nekkid frat boy

Postby miri on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:56 pm

Oh please, models can wear wigs. Wimps! It's just hair, it grows back.
miri

Postby devajd on Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:39 pm

Idiots - they must've guessed it was non-elimination. Why wouldn't you sacrifice your hair for $1 million? I hope they're not trying to get acting gigs out of this, because if you're not willing to shave your head for a role you're not going to go very far.

Not that mind really - I was glad to see the Twins come in 4th after their trouble with the bricks at first. It is going to be a LOT harder to get money from people while they are in India though. Hmm... they could sell their hair? ;)
devajd
bunched

Postby pseudostudent on Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:49 pm

Plus, as I noted in chat, $1 million buys a lot of wigs.
pseudostudent
fast forwarding

Postby Kanuck on Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:59 pm

OTOH (someone has to be contrary), if you know that you won't have a job when you get home for several months without your hair, that might not seem worth the risk, and I don't think they would've gained much time with the FF (although going back certainly lost at least an hour worth of time).
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby MacMadame on Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:05 am

I was really disappointed that Team God didn't shave their hair. Even though I was chanting to Mr. Mac all night "It's going to be non-elim." (It's all rabrab's fault that I thought that too. Her predictions article put the idea into my mind.)

But I agree it's just hair. I think this shows that most of these teams are not really racing. They don't really think they can win or they'd be more willing to do stuff like that and they'd hustle more. Because getting all your hair cut off is way easier than eating 2.2 lbs. of caviar.

I fell like only Colin & Christie and Chip and Kim are really racing and everyone else is just along for the ride to see how far they can get.
MacMadame
TARfly

Postby rabrab on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:14 am

Sorry about that, macmadame.

I'm going to be the contrarian here. I don't blame them at all for not shaving their heads.

I suspect that Brandon, at least, really does get jobs because of that mop ("Hey, call that model--the one with the hair!") It isn't a "do this for a million dollars" gig. It's a "do this and you'll still have a chance for a million dollars to split between you, that we'll give you sometime in the uncertain future, if you win and if the show airs, but it might be as much as a year after the end of the taping" gig; which for me negates the question of how long can they live on half-a- million dollars while their hair grows back? They can't--they don't have the money while their hair grows back. Either or both may have already had jobs lined up for right after the race, and while I agree that someone in showbiz who won't shave their head to get a part is in the wrong business, somebody who gets hired for their look and radically changes that look after casting is likely to find themselves fired. Finally, it doesn't look like it was an easy choice for them; they had a hard choice to make, and it took some deciding, so I applaud that they made their choice and accepted the consequences.

On to the Moms and their taxi: from the way that I remember what the conversation was, they asked for directions, the cabbie's response was "You follow me." It wasn't clear at the time whether he had a fare or not--I couldn't see the cab clearly enough to see. So I'm chalking that up to an honest failure to communicate.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby ctcurler on Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:41 am

There was no way B&N were losing their hair. Would have been interesting to see the Twins take the FF. They might have done it (wild speculation).

The Moms I think also asked if the cab driver was going there. They stated in the car that they were following the cab that was going to the airport anyway. But, do think there was a lack of communication based on the fact they were trying to get to the airport quickly.

I realize I am now noticing all the little things Colin does that are annoying/condescending. Did anyone else notice him pointing to the mat for where Christie should stand?

Chip and Kim, another good leg. Still hoping they can pull out the win. What was up with Chip steering and Kim pushing? Although, says a lot about them when they can laugh it off later.
ctcurler
at the start line

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:56 am

Its freakin hair...that grows back! Honestly, if I was going to be on the race, my hair would be cut as short as possible. I guessed it was non-elimination because the twits from TES never showed up to say that the eliminated team would be on the next morning. But that would have been awesome of they had been eliminated due to vanity. And, Nicole, comparing mosques to Starbucks. I still can't believe she said that.

That water slide looked really fun.

And, I watched the show with my friend Mark so I have a witness and watched the tape three times.....Phil did not say advantageous last night!
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby devajd on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:05 am

Ooh! I forgot about that! It made me so mad when Nicole compared the mosques to Starbucks! It's not like there aren't a lot of churches in many neighbourhoods either. I would say probably more churches than Starbucks even.

She's only 19 or 21, that's the only reason I'll give her a little leeway. And when she was uncomfortable wtih all the people staring at her? You're a PAGENT girl! You parade in bikiinis and get judged and you don't like it when a bunch of people in India stare at you? Hypocrite.

Brandon is handling the developing world much better than I thought he would, but Nicole is handling it rather like Emily did, unfortunately.

It was kind of funny when Colin was rehersing his "soundbite" in the car, saying how different and interesting India was, then Christie accused him of being sarcastic (or something like that). Then he said: But all the other will say how ugly and poor it is!

Cut to the moms commenting on how beautiful all the women look. Ahh. Love those editors!
devajd
bunched

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:07 am

I honestly think that everyone was staring at her because there was a camera crew with her. But B&N swearing on the train - Oh my gosh. I was outraged!
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby DariaG on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:13 am

Did I call that right in the racer report or what -- Karen is getting increasingly annoyed with Linda. It's been showing a bit more each episode. And I think Linda would be hard to take in extremely large doses (like around the clock for -- what by now? -- two, two-and-a-half weeks). Not to get too far off course, but being an introvert or an extrovert (by Myers-Briggs definitions) isn't black and white, it's a matter of degree. (M-B: extroverts draw energy from other people, introverts draw energy from being alone.) And I think at this point, anyone who isn't an extreme extrovert is going slightly crazy. Or maybe a lot crazy.

I'm with Rabrab on Brandon and Nicole shaving their heads. Yes, hair grows, but fast growth is about 1/2 inch per month, average. We know that 2nd-place gets about $20-$25K to split, and each team below that gets substantially less. Factoring taxes, if they came in 2nd, their hair might be 1 1/2 - 2 inches long before they ran through the prize money. They may have other money, but that's not the point. They can't be away from the camera 6-12 months while their hair grows back in. It was a gamble either way, and in the end they made the right decision.

CTCurler, I've noticed Colin's little assy bits all along, like the pointing. She can dish it out, too. They should get married and live in their own little private hell together so that innocent people who want healthy relationships don't end up involved with either of them. Yuck. And FTR, despising Colin and despising Mirna are not mutually exclusive. She had charming moments early on, however, whereas he's never done anything for me; his best has been meh.

Speaking of meh, the twins? And their alleged sexiness? It must be a combination of those men not seeing many blondes, plus the camera crew. Otherwise, I completely don't understand how they got any money.

But I liked this episode, and mostly because of Brandon and Nicole. I also like the foreshadowing of Chip and Kim setting up Colin and Christie. I expect the Yield to be used in the next episode. No info on that, just a hunch, and I have a couple of ideas as to who uses it on whom. I think that's why the non-Yielding got so much camera time this episode. It's imminent, and they needed to remind us of what it is.

Finally, what to watch for in the next episode: If we see Linda or Karen talking to a teenaged boy after arriving at an airport, that's our big spoiler guy! On Feb. 21, he saw 5 teams come in, and a day or two later, he saw 3 leave, though there was supposedly at least one more team leaving at another time. He actually talked to one of the Moms on Feb. 21 and heard them address each other by name, so we knew who Linda and Karen were while the race was still running.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:28 am

I do have to admit, my hair grows really really fast. At that point on the race, if it had been me, I probably would have been begging for a pair of scissors. Especially without being able to wash my hair every morning. It wouldn't have been pretty :-)
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby devajd on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:32 am

I agree about the Yield - I almost expected someone to use it during this episode since it was the first time we'd seen it in weeks. I wonder if Chip and Kim will be able to manipulate Colin and Christie the way they say they want to. They certainly are pushing all the right buttons. I think they do more strategizing during the pit stops than the other teams. Colin and Chrisite have one objective: Be first. It will be interesting to see which strategy wins out.

The Twins didn't have any trouble getting their money at all. And I loved how the british (?) guy looked right at the camera and said: "Twins!" Heh.
devajd
bunched

Next

Return to Past Seasons