5.8 "I'm Going to Jail"

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

5.8 "I'm Going to Jail"

Postby Mama Tiger on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:52 pm

Okay, is it possible to hate Colin more?

Has there ever been -- or could there ever be -- a more Ugly American moment in the history of the Race, past, present, or future?

And what moron in casting let this guy on the Race in the first place?

And anyone care to lay wagers on how long it's going to be before the first "former Racer" ends up in the slammer?
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby miri on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:14 pm

He was butt-chapping stupid in this episode. You do not get into a dick-measuring contest with local law enforcement. He was an asshole to take it out on Christie and she had nothing to apologize for.

I think Colin was pissed off at himself for not noticing the cab was on a spare to start with. Just a bit ago, he was smart enough to check for good tires before getting into a vehicle. He's damn lucky that police officer was so calm and willing to talk. I wouldn't have been.

But you know what? I'd still rather have him around than someone else. ;)

eta - I forgot! My favorite thing about this ep? I never knew camels wore little crocheted nose mittens. I have no idea why, but that cracked me up big time. Yes, I'm weird.
Last edited by miri on Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Colin has serious Anger Management Issues

Postby lolacat on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:35 am

I just have to vent. I have never seen such an "UGLY AMERICAN". No wonder so many people dislike Americans abroad. Colin should not be allowed out of the USA, someone should revoke his passport. Not only is he obnoxious, rude and disrespectful ... he is an absolute and complete Jackass!!! Does he not understand that once you are on foreign soil, you must abide by the rules and laws of that foreign land? He is nothing but a first class bully! Who the hell does he think he is?
lolacat
the world is waiting

Postby pinkgodzilla on Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:23 am

Colin needs to die. But I still hate Mirna more.

That being said. Miri, I believe the nose cushions would be to keep the camels form spitting since they can hawk loogies an incredible distance if you piss them off.
pinkgodzilla
taking a detour

Postby MacMadame on Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:35 am

This episode really upset me. I really don't need to see some prick being emotionally abusive to his girlfriend. It isn't entertaining and it isn't what TAR is supposed to be about.
MacMadame
TARfly

Postby miri on Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:40 am

miri, I believe the nose cushions would be to keep the camels form spitting since they can hawk loogies an incredible distance if you piss them off.

So that's where Mirna learned her manners!

Some of the Insider Videos are very interesting this week. If you listen to Chip's take on Colin and Christie, Colin is totally whipped and Christie is the one in charge. It's very strange.
miri

Postby DariaG on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:46 am

Colin is the new Russhole. And evidently he and Christie just bought a house together (info on some site I can find later today), which is massively depressing. Mama Tiger, I think you were the first one to suggest he was abusive. Kudos for that call. I'm sorry to be agreeing with you. But he's always creeped me out a bit. Now he creeps me out a lot.

Btw, I am now 99.9% sure that this was the emergency back-up country episode. They were supposed to go to Turkey but had to go somewhere else at the last minute due to a car-bombing in Istanbul. That's probably why there was no roadblock and probably why the whole thing looked like it was slapped together with a 15-minute phone call.

Karen looked like she wanted to strangle Linda the second time they were stuck in the sand, and I don't blame her. And one of the twins has a couple more brain cells than the other, but I still can't tell them apart, so I don't know which it is.

Did anyone else notice the money theme to this episode? Colin got it off to a horrible start (I'm with MacMadame, he really upset me), and there were constant discussions and issues with money among all the couple teams (and I'm probably forgetting something with the Twins and/or Moms).
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:11 am

I couldn't believe how much money the twins had left at the end of the leg - they just kept giving Phil money and money and money.

I am really getting tired of watching this shit - I do not watch TAR to see total assholes and couples in abusive relationships. I don't know which was worse to watch - all of Colin's behavior and the fact that he said it was Christie's fault when all she did was calmly point out that it was a waste of time and their plane was leaving or the fact that she apologized? If I was on the race, and my partner did that, I would be on the next plane out of there.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Mama Tiger on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:21 am

Well, I'm kind of sorry to be right about having called Colin as an abusive asshole so long ago. He just, to be honest, reminded me of my father in some really ugly ways, who could be pretty emotionally abusive himself. (But who interestingly became a very nice person when he became seriously ill and changed very much for the better -- it's possible to change that behavior!) My mother also was a "my man right or wrong" person, which my sister and I still have serious issues with to this day. She's come out and admitted, 40+ years later, that she was wrong to do it, but it can inflict some scars, believe me. So when Colin said that, I was so upset I was running around my house during the commercial break literally screaming obscenities. Just ask WhiteRabbit.

I'm sure that Mirna (and everyone else at Sequesterville) got an earful from whatever team is the fifth place finisher -- after all, everyone else was there at the airport when Colin was blaming Christie for the whole mess, when it was 100% without any question his own Super Asshole behavior that caused the problems. I am just PRAYING now for a C&C elimination. Because if they win? And dare to show their faces at TARcon? Well, I'm going to need one of those no-spitting nosebags! Think we should pass them out to everyone just so Colin knows how everyone feels about him???
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby miri on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:31 am

I almost thought, that with all the Brandon/Nicole kvetching about money right at the start of the ep that we were being set up for them to come in last and lose all their money. I thought Alex and Rarab (our predictors) were right! Hoodwinked again.

Colin is the new Russhole.

Speaking of that...after hearing stories from some racers, this is why I give new credit to the "editing/schmediting" argument. From all accounts, Cindy was the recipient of one of the nicest edits ever as she's a bit of a psycho.

I laughed when later in the ep and it came time to deal with another cab? Christie ordered Colin to put their stuff in the trunk while she dealt with the driver and he did so like a good little boy. Personally? I think they are both bossy and like to order each other around and that somehow, that works for them.
Last edited by miri on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
miri

Postby pseudostudent on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:52 am

I don't know which was worse to watch - all of Colin's behavior and the fact that he said it was Christie's fault when all she did was calmly point out that it was a waste of time and their plane was leaving or the fact that she apologized?

That was easy for me - Christie apologizing was much harder to watch. Colin's temper tantrums, as ugly as they are, blow by and are gone. Christie's emotional scars will last much longer.
pseudostudent
fast forwarding

Postby DariaG on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:58 am

I knew a couple like that, Miri -- they were a perfect match because they each needed someone to yell at, and the other person yelling created a reason to yell. It was ugly to watch, though, much like last night.
DariaG

Postby Rachel RSL on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:23 am

I really don't need to see some prick being emotionally abusive to his girlfriend.

I'm sorry, I *still* don't see how Colin is abusive. It seems very clear to me that Christie bickers with him just as much as he bickers with her. Yes, he can be an ass, I won't deny that, but calling him abusive is just such an exaggeration IMHO. He's never called her names or told her how worthless she is. He's never threatened her. Tara treated Wil a lot worse than Colin has ever treated Christie. Alison treated Donnie worse than Colin has ever treated Christie. Karen treated Lenny worse than Colin has ever treated Christie. I just hate the fact that the word "abuse" is getting tossed around so freely when all we've ever really seen out of Colin is some minor bickering with Christie. So he snapped at her to let him tell the story. Is there really anyone here who hasn't snapped at their significant other/brother/mom etc. like that occasionally? Lord knows I have. Yes, he wanted her to support him...just like Nicole wanted Brandon to support her. All of this, IMHO, makes them nothing more than a typical couple. I see no signs of abuse.

Christie's emotional scars will last much longer.

See above paragraph. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby devajd on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:49 am

It did sort of seem like a hastily thrown-together episode, didn't it? They were lucky to get the more dramatic ending that they did (the sand dunes thing was hilarious) otherwise it would not have been quite so interesting. It was cool that they got to go to the UAE.

We should think about asking Bertran / Elise if they have back-up countries along the way with potential activities. It seems like it's something that would make sense to do.

I nearly forgot the best line of the episode!

The Twinkies:

"Just because you see a flag, doesn't mean you should go to it."

Oh, really? Well - most of the time that would be true (with the exception of the Roulette detour) but really. If you already have the clue, stop at the bloody flag!
Last edited by devajd on Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
devajd
bunched

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:57 am

From my perspective, and I do realize that I am totally not an expert so I probably shouldn't have used the term abusive and we might have not seen the entire drama, I thought the abusive part came in when Christie apologized to Colin. To me it seemed that Colin was totally in the wrong but she was the one who apologized and that is what threw up the red flag.

But again since my knowledge is zilch, it was probably not a great word to use.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Next

Return to Past Seasons