5.7 "Are you sure this is Safe?"

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

5.7 "Are you sure this is Safe?"

Postby miri on Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:08 pm

Yay! I don't hate any of the teams left. Wow, that's a first.

Did everyone stop and get tattoos some place? Linda's arm, Karen's hand, one of the twins on her chest, the other on her arm, Nicole on her hand and Christie on her shoulder. Weird!
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby devajd on Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:20 pm

LALALALALALA!!!!!!!!!

I did the longest happy dance after Phil said they'd been eliminated that I missed part of their good-bye speeches. Phil sounded a little teary... awww. Still - so, SO HAPPY!!

My friend and I had convinced ourselves that it was going to be a non-elimination leg. I figured if that was the case we'd never hear the end of it from Mirna.

Oh - I will barely be able to sleep from the sheer joy!!!

I am so incoherent. It's a good thing I didn't post this on TWoP.
devajd
bunched

Postby Tribefan on Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:05 am

Well, I absolutely despise Colin, and Christie is no better than he is. I can take any of the remaining teams winning, except for these two. Blech. I'm rooting for Chip and Kim now, but if any of the other teams take it, I'm OK with that.
Tribefan
official tush photographer & fish tease
official tush photographer & fish tease

Postby miri on Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:16 am

I didn't like them much in this leg, but they still have the "at least they are good racers" thing for me. A lot of the teams were bitchy this week. (Except for Chip and Kim. And Chip? Best facial expressions ever. I just love his face.) I think it was fatigue mixed with less than glamorous surroundings.

And what's this seaon's obsession with eggs and eating? It's either one big egg or thousands and thousands of little ones.
miri

Postby MacMadame on Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:12 am

I agree with Miri that if C&C win I'll be okay because they are good racers. But I don't like them and I think they are in the process of a meltdown that started last leg. I'm going to miss my weekly visits to Mirnaland, too. Hee.

I can't believe the Twinkies managed to come in next to last again. They have the Luck of the Twink. At least they amuse but I'd actually not be okay with them winning. Luck has always been part of TAR but there is a point where skill should win out.

Did everyone stop and get tattoos some place?

You know tattoos just don't seem as cutting edge when a bunch of bowling moms have them.
MacMadame
TARfly

Postby rabrab on Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:18 am

They were henna tattoos. It was an extended Pitstop--the E/S/M eating sequence was during daylight, but all the teams arrived at or after sunset, and left early in the morning. There had to be an extra day in there for them to be eating together in daylight.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby DariaG on Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:41 am

Yeah, but I think Linda already had that tattoo. It was showing last episode. But maybe it was a factor of jumping up an interview. The fashion reporters will deal with this one. Right, Swimmerboy?

There are a lot of eating tasks this season, and I wonder why. And while I'm totally loving this season, there's less warmth among the teams than I saw in TARs 1-3. That could change now that Mirna is gone. She was pretty disruptive. I thought the same thing happened in TAR3 when Ahab left. The final five teams usually seem to get along pretty well, which must be a factor of time spent on the road.

And this is the same final five as identified in the "big" spoiler, although that happened further along in the race. The team that was identified by name back in February was Linda and Karen; the person who spotted the teams heard them call each other by name. As a total spoiler-ho, I loved knowing team names months before the teams were announced.

Loved the barf buckets, too.

Colin grates on my nerves. I think he's condescending. Otherwise, I'd put his and Christie's bickering in the "annoying but understandable" category. He needs to crank it down a couple of notches, though. And Brandon? Put your **** away, fool. You don't need the attitude. Sheesh!

Great episode, though. I'm not sure how much more Mirna I could stand, even with Chip and Kim and the Moms to balance out her negativity.[/b]
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:02 am

It would be nice if Chip at some point would seem a little happy to be on the race :-) Honestly, if the Race was made up of teams just like Chip and Kim, it would be, well, amazing. The joy that they have is just wonderful to watch. But I won't admit I like them - I don't want them getting eliminated.

I hated the airport scene - it was just so junior highish. And Mirna and Charla making the faces at the ticket office. It was embarrasing to watch.

And, the end with Charla's speech. I don't know - if she was talking about the race, I don't agree. The only reason I thought that people thought less of her (if they ever really did) was because her partner was a crazy bitch. Everyone always said that they were good racers - it was Mirna's attitude and personality that people had a problem with.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby ctcurler on Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:25 pm

Got to watch this episode early again last night due to the Yankees. Took all my willpower to not post at 8:00. Stood up and clapped in my living room, is that wrong? Would like to see Chip and Kim win, they certainly seem to be enjoying it immensely. Probably watch the repeat Saturday just to see them get Philiminated again.
ctcurler
at the start line

Postby miri on Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:45 pm

I just rewatched the last ep (yes, my local station shows football on Saturdays instead of the repeats...if they do that during TAR6, I will go bat shit crazy) and when describing the detour, Phil says that each team must choose "one bike" - does this mean that only one would have to actually ride it? So one (Charla) could sit on the seat when the other teammate (Mirna) would stand and pedal? If so, then I don't think it was Charla's drawfism that kept them from taking the alternate task.
miri

Postby MacMadame on Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:58 pm

Miri- I thought they were tandem bikes with two seats and two sets of pedals. That means Charla could have sat on the seat and not peddled but Mirna would have had to do all the work. It could be done but it might have ended up a disaster too.

I still think they should have tried it though because I think the last place team should always take the faster detour and this seemed faster. Plus the chair delivery detour was very physically demanding so it didn't play to their strengths.
MacMadame
TARfly

Postby miri on Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:46 pm

Yeah, they would have been at a disadvantage compared to other teams, but it wouldn't have been impossible for them...which I had kind of thought upon first viewing. I'm with you on the idea that it would have been smarter for them to choose the bees.
miri

Postby DariaG on Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:01 pm

I also wondered if they were put off by the bees. Or allergic to bee stings, which could have been a huge problem despite the protective clothing. That's the task I would have chosen, so I was really surprised the teams all took the other option.
DariaG

Postby miri on Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:59 pm

BTW, I just paused on the shot of the bikes when Phil is explaining the detour. They weren't "bikes built for two" with two sets of handle bars, seats and pedals. They had a regular bike seat and then a larger seat on the back - on top of the back wheel - kind of like where those little racks go that you can bungee strap things to. So, for each team, it would have been one person pedaling and one riding.
miri

Postby Mama Tiger on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:06 am

I do wonder just how much faster this task would have been, however -- granted, it was closer, but there would be all the donning/taking off of the protective gear, and you'd better believe that anyone doing this would want to make sure there was no way in the world a bee could sneak in somewhere. So people may have viewed it as potentially slower due to that.

The Detour designers this time have been doing a good job of not always making the choice an easy one, with an apparently faster task actually taking longer due to other factors -- donning protective gear, waiting for other teams, etc. Just because Phil says a task is faster doesn't necessarily make it so.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Next

Return to Past Seasons