5.6 "Why Can't We Get a Camel?"

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

5.6 "Why Can't We Get a Camel?"

Postby miri on Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:35 am

Quit, huh? I have mixed feelings about this. It was a logical thing to do, but why not at least try to finish? Get the scarab and then see if there is another physical task after that. If not, you can at least make it to the pit stop. If there is? Quit then. Oh well.

The tension Charla and Mirna cause just keeps growing.

Go moms! I didn't like the begging (don't like that whole aspect), but they did good at it and managed to catch up. Yay!

And why didn't anyone know what a scarab was? Sheesh.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Kanuck on Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:20 am

Yeah, I know what a scarab is, so why were they all so clueless? I'm not sure why I know ... is it in Harry Potter or did I pick up that bit of random info elsewhere?

Overall, I thought this was another great leg - while I enjoy our episode chats, I found I was able to pay closer attention to the episode (shocking, isn't that?) and catch more details while just watching (visiting relatives in the PTzone, so no chat). So far, I think that WRP et al have done a great job of designing a course with lots of interesting, diverse, local tasks.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby DariaG on Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:30 am

Loved the episode! And I agree, why didn't anyone know what a scarab was? I can't remember not knowing.

As for Marshall and Lance, I had a lot of thoughts about their predicament. First, I was shocked that Marshall even tried going down that shaft. If you were to have told me in advance that they'd quit in this episode, that's where I would have had them dropping out. Also, while I understand the prevailing ethic among a lot of TAR fans that you shouldn't quit or even talk about quitting, I think it was the right thing to do in their case. If you're physically incapable, you're physically incapable. I wonder about the timing, though. Obviously, as a fan of the Moms, I wish they'd done it in the previous episode. I also wonder about medical treatment or advice they might have gotten at the Pit Stop.

ATCs? Can you weigh in on this?

Anyway, I'm not going to criticize them for it. And I also thought about the pre-race physical. They're not the first team that's made me think it's not that rigorous. And to have only one team in 57 drop out for physical reasons is really something for a show this demanding, although in each season most of the teams are young and buff. But still. . . .

I loved most of the other teams, especially Chip and Kim. I still consider Colin too pushy for my tastes, and I still think Mirna's half-whacked out (at least half), although this has evolved. She was amusing in the early episodes. I think the bottom line is, she comes across a lot better without days of accumulated stress.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby Whiterabbit on Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:01 am

Over the years, Mama Tiger has had a fair amount of knee pain. I've seen it. As much as I am not a fan of Marshall and Lance, he was obviously really, really hurting. It's not like they just up and quit because they were in last place; I bet they weren't sure they could get to the pit stop at all. Knee pain is horrid. I'm not going to call them quitters because of that. This is not an Osten situation.
Whiterabbit
bunched

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:10 am

Marshall and Lance are my favorites. Heh, now Marshall and Lance are doomed.
Now who is the Angel of Death?

I kept thinking last night, didn't any of the racers ever see The Mummy?

Stupid CBS, I know that they probably aren't going to have two nonelimination rounds in a row but saying the eliminated racers will be on TES the next morning kinda blows the suspense.

Poor Kim but honestly, if Chip was your partner, it just makes sense to have him do most of the tasks.

My new favorites - Colin and Christie. Honestly, I know that Mirna is annoying but if I saw an empty taxi, I would have taken it. However, Mirna's reaction that Colin is jealous. Well, whatever. And Colin's asseration that he does all the tasks. Yeah, how quickly he forgot the fish eggs.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Mama Tiger on Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:41 am

Colin's "asseration"? Okay, granted that may have been a typo, but it was an inspired typo, M. Darcy!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:01 am

Me make a mistake? That's unpossible. Yep, it was a typo but ha. For some reason, when I think of Colin, I think of an ass.
M. Darcy
philpostle

marshall and lance-sit close to the bar at TARCON5

Postby debraslove on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:13 am

my heart went out tot M&L. there's nothing worse than feel yourself moving slower, when you need to move faster. the editing made it look like they gave up immediately looking for the scarab, but the lighting difference was truly pronounced, which shows they were never in serious contention.

but i can just imagine Bert's reaction when he learned they had to move Phil to get the closing shot. ouch!

hey miri, can we have a special gimp table at TARCON5 for those racers with serious knee problems (Debra, Dave, Lance and Jim). table service required?
debraslove
amazing racer

Postby miri on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:20 am

Only if I get to sit there too! (Yeah, reason number 8753 why I would never go on the race.)

I agree that they were at that task for quite awhile and arrived there much later than the other teams. I don't think it was an easy decision for them to quit. The look on Lance's face said that.
miri

Postby Mama Tiger on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:48 am

I still wish Lance would have at least soldiered on to complete the task; from there, all they had to do was take the lovely water taxi ride to the Pit Stop, so Marshall wouldn't have had to walk far at all. And knowing the kind Egyptians, someone probably would have had an ass for him to ride on to get to the boat if it was more than 50 yards or so.

I get a place at the gimp table, too!
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:49 am

Yeah, I think I read over at TWOP that they were there for 2 1/2 hours. I hate defending them but digging in the dark with just the flashlight couldn't have been that easy.

And, personally, after reading all the Elizabeth Peters mysteries and seeing the Mummy movies, I would have been a little freaked out being near an Egyptian temple during the night.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby miri on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:28 am

I still wish Lance would have at least soldiered on to complete the task

I'm with ya, I wish they had too. It's something I can see both sides of, though. I don't think their quitting is anywhere near the level of "WTF" as, say, Osten.
miri

Postby Mama Tiger on Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:54 am

Definitely not an Osten level of quitting; perhaps more like a Sue Hawk or Jenna Morasca level -- a valid reason not related to the game, with no interest in completing tasks prior to just leaving.

But it still sucked that they were ever there in the first place. Why did they do so much stunt casting this time? I'm willing to bet that at least seven or eight teams got on through something other than the normal application process. Which stinks. Totally.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby TAR4 ATC Dave on Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:21 pm

I lost any sympathy I might have had for these two when they quit. Sure, they knew they were in last, but quit? What if it had been another NEL?

There is medical attention available at the pit stops, but it could come with a price. When I fell on the mountain in Cortina, we had a visit from one of the production staff once we got into our room that night. He told me that their doctors thought it would be a really good idea if I went to see them, as it was quite possible I had done something quite serious to the knee. I asked him if the doctor could remove us from (or cause us to be removed from) the race. He said that they could. I decided against going - not wanting to take the risk.

I'm pretty sure that Jaree (of Tian and Jaree fame) actually did see their doctor during the race. She had a kidney infection (I heard).

So, M/L could have seen a doc, but they also could have been removed from the race if they did. So...
TAR4 ATC Dave
amazing racer

Postby devajd on Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:27 am

Based on the way Lance was talking about "irritated nerves" under his kneecap, I got the impression that they had seen the doctor and knew what was wrong, but decided to soldier on. I don't really like the fact that they quit, but I'm guessing they HAD been there for hours. It's quite possible the production staff got sick of waiting for them at the island!

Does everyone suppose that Linda and Karen got the fruit they were selling from the pitstop? That seemed like a good idea! I'm glad they caught up and kept going. I was thinking they might run out of cash with all the taxi rides and things.

When Mirna started psychoanalyzing Colin? Ohhhh the irony. No Mirna, no one is jealous of you, everyone just wants to stay the hell away from your crazy self. And yet... they just keep going. Mirna the annoying pink fluffy self-entitled energizer bunny. Keeps going after you want it to quit banging those damn drums already.
devajd
bunched

Next

Return to Past Seasons