Mirnish to English dictionary

Talk about the silliness on the Times site. Post story suggestions too.

Mirnish to English dictionary

Postby DariaG on Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:01 pm

This came in at a time when we had a lot of new content, and I don't want it to get lost.
http://www.tarflies.com/article.php?_f=detail&id=264

I thought it was hilarious -- Frenchteacher (our Mr. Language Person) knows his stuff. This was one of my favorite bits:
"The word "necesito" is very flexible, meaning I need, I want, please, I must, I have, I think, I should, thank you, Help me, watermelon, sandals, algebra, closed-captioning, and swordfish."
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby rabrab on Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:28 pm

I put my head down on my desk and just shook with laughter at that one. I'd been giggling the whole way through, but I lost it there. Yay, Frenchteacher!
rabrab
TARfly

Postby mjmarble on Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:13 pm

Wonderful job!! I love how you ended it with - just make it up it'll all work. It really had me going...
mjmarble
republican godfather nekkid frat boy

Postby Mama Tiger on Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:36 pm

That was a truly brilliant effort, Frenchteacher! I hope we can see more contributions from my Evil Triplet! (There's three of us following each other around TWOP saying the same things all the time, me and Frenchteacher and Pointe3579, to the point where it seems strange not to say everything in triplicate!)
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby Kanuck on Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:31 am

The 'watermelon' part had me laughing, too, and the whole thing was pretty amusing - thanks!
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby Frenchteacher on Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:06 am

I'm glad you guys liked it. Relieved, actually. My career in satire is officially born! Anyway. Hopefully another racer will come along with an interesting take on language so I can pretend to be funny again.

BTW, Colin's Spanish is not that good, either, for the record. I mean, compared to Mirna, he's Cervantes, but that's not saying much.
Frenchteacher
the world is waiting

Postby mjmarble on Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:19 am

At least he didn't lie about his abilities. Or assume that people would understand them with a simple "o" added on to every word(o).
mjmarble

Postby Mama Tiger on Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:34 am

In fairness, it's entirely possible, as has been repeatedly pointed out, that one of the team members -- and it could easily have been Charla, not Mirna -- mentioned studying Spanish in high school or something, and whatever CBS flack put together their bio added it in. Look at what they did to Chris and Alex, ignoring all their degrees and calling them "bouncers." I really don't trust CBS's descriptions of racers abilities, jobs, or much of anything else, to be honest.
Mama Tiger
scary TARfly

Postby devajd on Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:09 pm

In the bit from their application video that was shown on Entertainment Tonight they said that they spoke four languages though. How many words in a language do you need to know before you can say you "speak" it?
devajd
bunched

Postby miri on Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:31 pm

I think it's the same problem as when you apply for a job - you are trying to make yourself look good. So, if you know a little bit of something, you are might be inclined to say, "yes! I know that! Hire me!" Of course, that just means you usually end up looking foolish to an employer and co-workers...not to the whole TV viewing audience.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Frenchteacher on Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:04 pm

I think the 4 languages to which they refer are English (no question), Armenian, Turkish, and French. I doubt we'll get a chance to examine their knowledge of any of those last 3 languages. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Probably good.

I also agree with Mama Tiger that CBS must have heard them say something like, "I know some words in Spanish" and then put that on the website to make them look silly afterwards. Which is fine with me, actually. It gives us something to talk about. Compare the whole why-did-Erika-and-Dennis-break-off-their-engagement thing. Naked skydiving? Hmmm.
Frenchteacher
the world is waiting

Postby Super Goten on Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:48 pm

sorry to bring back an old topic, but I was in my Spanish I class today (and since i'm only a freshman, my Spanish is more like Mirnish! LOL) and I was wondering, what is the REAL word for "Stop" in Spanish?

I don't think it's Stop-o, that's for sure! ;)
Super Goten
road blocked

Postby pseudostudent on Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:57 pm

The word that I've seen on stop signs is "pare."
pseudostudent
fast forwarding

Postby MacMadame on Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:26 pm

When we were in NYC, we heard a shop keeper tell a customer as she walked out the door "Adios, habibi". I had a flashback to the Mirnish-American dictionary.
MacMadame
TARfly

Postby rabrab on Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:52 am

To be a completist, Super Goten:

Parar: stop (Please stop talking.)

Parada: a bus stop (You want the next stop.)

Pare: command form (Stop!) Pare aqui! (Stop HERE!)

Detener: delay or detain (The police stopped Colin.)

Impedir: prevent, impede (You can't stop me.)

Dejar de: quit, stop (Quit staring at me like that, Colin.)

Hacer alto: Halt, rest, stop. (We stopped at the Coconut Palace to E/S/M)

Alto! : Halt!, Stop! (Stop, or I'll shoot!)

If you want the whole shebang of conjugations and tenses, let me know and I'll e-mail them.
rabrab
TARfly

Next

Return to TARflies Times