5.4 "Who Says Pageant Girls Don't Eat?"

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

5.4 "Who Says Pageant Girls Don't Eat?"

Postby miri on Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:12 am

It looks like we got a slight reprieve from the Charla and Mirna show. Although the hatred of Mirna seems to be spreading.

I was so sad to see Bob and Joyce go! Joyce had such enthusiasm and was having fun. Airports are really the killers so far this season. It was nice to see Chip and Kim do well this leg, though.

That caviar...oye that looks nasty! Hey, did anyone actually say the title?
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby pinkgodzilla on Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:21 am

I didn't hear anyone say the title, though I kept expecting Nicole to say it for some reason.

Sad to see Bob and Joyce go.

I bought a ticket on the Mirna Hate Train episode 2 and I think I'll upgrade to a first class compartment.

This would have been an interesting roadblock for my partner and I. I honestly do not know who would have done it. I hate salty foods and have zero intention of ever trying caviar. However, my partner had food poisoning over 20 years ago in Japan that left him with a stomach that cannot tolerate spicy foods. I can't remember if salty foods are a problem also.
pinkgodzilla
taking a detour

Postby DariaG on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:56 am

That roadblock definitely favored volume eaters. Not being one, I identified with Nicole and Christie most.

At least they didn't show anyone barfing. Joyce was on TES this a.m. with Bob and said she vomited "all over Russia" -- but then said she didn't really, she just felt like it. But most of the racers looked incredibly nauseous afterward. It was almost like Fear Factor -- The Luxury Edition.

They should have served vodka with the caviar.

The hockey players were taking it easy on them. All they had to do was aim over the shorter Racer's outside shoulder -- and they all could have made that shot. A true slapshot slices through the air like an arrow. Then again, this wasn't TAR/NHL. Although that would be a good way for some of these guys to spend their time during the impending lockout, and it would make for decent stunt-casting.

Anyway, I was sad to see Bob & Joyce go, since they were such cool people.

This episode also unspoils a spoiler, because 3 teams were seen in another location getting off a flight from Russia: Twins, Moms, and Doughboys. So the spoiled among us knew those three teams made it past this leg.
Last edited by DariaG on Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby mjmarble on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:11 am

Sign me up for the first class section of the Mirna hate train. What I found interesting was that all the racers have decided to basically dislike her too. There is no love to be found at all... Personally I love how Colin/Christie bought tickets for everyone so they could exclude C&M. It honestly is a testament to C&M's racing and luck that they made up all the time and finished strong. -- Decent racers? Yes. Have to like them? No.

The caviar was a bit extreem. Honestly, what's up with the whole push 'em to the limits food theme going on so far???

I too was sad to see Bob & Joyce go, but it honeslty was their time. Nice folks, competitive and all, but someone had to leave and they were the ones.

Overall, the entire episode felt rather disjointed. I don't think I've ever seen one quite like it - in terms of feel of the show. I didn't really think there was any dramatic build up. It's hard to explain, but the editing was definately different.
mjmarble
republican godfather nekkid frat boy

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:23 am

Darn it, I liked Bob and Joyce. Oh well, all my hopes are now on Chip and Kim....which means they will be the next to go. I was hysterical watching the two women trying to get through the caviar - it must have been really bad though - they all looked like they were half dead at the pitstop.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby rabrab on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:51 am

I've taken a first class sleeper on the Mirna Hate train--party in compartment 6!

Seriously, she's gone from wacky to strikes-me-as-way-more-psychotic-than-Colin-ever-will-be. She truly does expect that everyone will do what she wants, and get out of her way so as not to impede her progress. Did she say why she couldn't do the caviar? Because if she didn't say anything to the contrary, I'd like to offer my own theory: she didn't want fish-breath when she hugged Phil.

And I agree, the pacing seems weird, somehow. I wouldn't call it "off" but it's different, and I think its because there hasn't been one. single. Hours of Operation. bunching yet. This is what we get when the artificial bunching is taken out--loss by airport mistake. I think I liked the bunching, better.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby mjmarble on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:57 am

As much as a I bitched and moaned about Hours-of-Operation-Bunching I have to now admit that I actually like it. That is until they have it again and it screws over a team I like.

This epi definately need it...
mjmarble

Postby miri on Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:04 am

Has anyone watched the Insider Video? A lot of Brandon/Nicole stuff. The funniest bit? The twins looking for the "gun" on the ship. Not exactly bright, those two.
miri

Postby MacMadame on Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:07 am

I think maybe the reason it felt off pacing-wise is that a whole bunch of teams were already through the tasks before the last teams even got to Russia.

I guess I'm the only one still enjoying Charla and Mirna. I thought Colin was really rude to her at the airport before she'd even done anything to deserve it. He came off as a real psycho in this episode IMO.

Also, how come the Twins keep racing kind of blah and still never manage to come in last? It's weird how often they are next to last or close to it yet they haven't been eliminated yet. They still have the worst average finish of any team still in the race and Charla and Mirna -- who often start out the leg doing something stupid that puts them behind like they did this week -- still have the best average finish.

Marshall and Lance pulled another good leg out of the air too. I'd like either of these teams to be gone and soon. Oh well, maybe next week...
MacMadame
TARfly

Postby pseudostudent on Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:30 am

How upsetting that my favorite team is now gone! Now who will I root for? The Bowling Moms are the best candidates, but they are starting to annoy me with all their squeaking and squealing. Oy.
pseudostudent
fast forwarding

Postby Rachel RSL on Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:11 pm

guess I'm the only one still enjoying Charla and Mirna. I thought Colin was really rude to her at the airport before she'd even done anything to deserve it

I don't think he was rude to her at all. In fact, from what I remember, he was in the process of talking to the airport guy when Mirna and Shmirna arrived and the very first interaction he had with them was when Mirna interrupted them mid-sentence. All he basically said to her was: "Wait until we're done and then you can talk to him." Which is a hell of a lot nicer then I would have been. She would have received a violent "Back off, bitch!" from me.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby mjmarble on Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:19 pm

How upsetting that my favorite team is now gone! Now who will I root for?

Pseudo, the Twins are available... Heck, they are from Oregon.

I have to totally agree that Mirna was the rude one there at the bus station. Yes, Colin was snipy, but who wouldn't have been had they been interupted. I think it says a lot about them that one by one, every team is starting to avoid them like the plague. Yes, we're getting the edited versions and making snap judegements - but they were there and were coming to the same conclusions. I'm just surprised that the Pizza Guys weren't shown gloating over the fact they didn't make the express bus.
mjmarble

Postby devajd on Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:32 pm

Mirna was a total bitch at the bus station. I was glad she got shut out of the express bus. I watched TAR with a group for the first time since TARCon and had the whole room yelling "Shut UP, Mirna!" It was fun.

I was sad to see Bob and Joyce go, I was rooting for them too. I'm going to turn to the twins, which might mean they're the next to go. I thought they had the funniest moment (besides Charla in goalie gear), when one twin cheered at the mat and the other just looked like she wanted to be violently ill. Heh.
devajd
bunched

Postby mjmarble on Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:29 pm

I'm really curious how spaced out they were in the end. I couldn't get a feel for how far apart all the teams were in the end....
mjmarble

Postby MacMadame on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:30 pm

All he basically said to her was: "Wait until we're done and then you can talk to him."

He also told her where in the airport she was allowed to stand while she waited her turn. That's when I felt he crossed a line from being firm about not letting someone interrupt him into Creepy Colin territory.

The man just seriously freaks me out.
MacMadame
TARfly

Next

Return to Past Seasons