12.8 - Honestly, They Have Witch Powers or Something!

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

12.8 - Honestly, They Have Witch Powers or Something!

Postby miri on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:33 pm

Have at it
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby PepeNY on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:49 pm

Well, poop!
PepeNY
gal friday & official burro spotter

Postby tallskinnylatte on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Arrrrgggh. If only they'd U-turned Nathan and Jen....
tallskinnylatte
taking a detour

Postby WalterC on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Wow, that's a first, using the U-Turn on a team that was actually ahead of them. And it ended up costing K&V the race. Instead, we have J&N for another leg.
WalterC
bunched

Postby AlexDitto on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:09 pm

NOOOOOO!

Excuse me for a moment, while I grieve.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Truly, a terrible twist of fate, picking the wrong team at the U-Turn. They should have just gone with the safe bet... Kynt must be kicking himself now. Terrible!

Though, I suppose that if Kynt hadn't left the receipts behind, they might not have gotten the boot either. Or if they had just gotten mugged instead of speed bumped....

So all that's left is, what, two "blah" teams and two "I strongly dislike you" teams? What a shame. I wish I didn't like the Race so much, so I could stop watching in protest.

But I do so I won't. I'm so torn!
AlexDitto
at the start line

Postby theschnauzers on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:36 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the first ever use of a mass-circulation daily newspaper for a clue. Which explains how well this leg was planned out so teams have to arrive and wait for the newspaper stand to open.
That was a well put together leg, and there was so much going on in the first 40 minutes, it felt like an hour, and that was before any of the teams were even headed to the pitstop.
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby shoyt_2001 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:38 am

Jen got help when the woman she went to for the second delivery, reminded her that she needed the receipt.

No one reminded Kynt that he was supposed to take both receipts.

He should have gotten a break in the form of a time penalty for Jen, since she got help.

I thought those who worked for AR knew that they are not allowed to help the racers.

Goodbye to my favorite team since the Bowling Moms. Love Kynt and Vyxyn. (even if I can't spell their names).
shoyt_2001
the world is waiting

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:53 am

Wow, AlexDitto, I could have written the exact same post as you, so consider me as dittoing you!
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby mynameishunter on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:33 am

NO!! I'm going to miss them big time. My favorite team ever. If they would have Uturned Nate and Jen, you can almost garuntee they would still be in the race. I mean, they got through the speed bump like it was nothing. When I saw they were using the speed bump, I assumed it was Nate and Jen so I was cheering, but when the show came back from commerical and I see they used it on Nick and Don, my heart started beating again. NOOOO!!!
mynameishunter
the world is waiting

Postby corkystclair on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:47 am

They really are experts at editing. They totally had me going before the commercial that K&V were U-Turning N&J. Waaaaah!

Speaking of N&J, my friend Melissa shared a this with me last night after the show: "Who left can beat them? A 70 year old, a 60 year old with a hernia, and 2 stoners." (Hee.) Frightening, yet true.

I did love the clue printed in the newspaper.
corkystclair
gal friday & clay maniac

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:23 am

They were idiots - why would you U Turn a team that you had absolutely no idea where they were. They knew that Nate and Jennifer were close by so its their own fault they were eliminated

My favorite team (Don and Nick) are still in it. Who would have thought it.

Kudos to Jennifer - she kicked ass in that roadblock.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Jake on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:34 am

I could not figure out their logic in not U-Turning Nathan and Jen. Yes, they left the Detour first, but they had NO clue where any other teams where. And since they should have been amazed that they were even close to N/J after doing the Speed Bump, they should have taken their chance on them instead of some team that they had not seen for hours.

Even still, if Kynt had remembered the receipts correctly they might have still won. Plus, Jen got that hint from the lady in the apartment. I don't begrudge her that though, since the lady was just trying to be nice, I'm sure she didn't care one way or another about Jen finishing the leg.

So the Speed Bump did contribute to doing them in, but mistakes they made also were a factor.

I couldn't believe how high Ron started that poster the first time! Right then and there Christine should have said "Stop" and re-hung it.

The poster task seemed the easiest from the clue and it seemed to have turned out that way. When you had to take the garland to someone somewhere, that adds another element of difficulty. I'm sure that elephant really wanted the flowers! But kudos to Jen for going up to the elephant without seeming to freak out.

But she did freak out with the newspaper clue. But both of them were incompetent there.

I was hoping for a 2 part leg, but at least it wasn't another NEL. Otherwise, why impose the Speed Bump on K/V?

Sad to see them gone, now my favorite team is TK and Rachel.
Jake
taking a detour

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:05 am

Sigh. And they were doing so good! God, I knew the U-Turn was too good to be true, but never in a million years did I see that one coming...

From the past seasons, it's clear that in the heat of the moment, one can do the wrong things, but I think Kynt's overconfidence as to his team's position in the race at that moment led to the team's downfall. Either that or the uncertainty of where the other teams were or whether the rest had passed the U-Turn is more prevalent than it appears.

On the upside, my favourite flower-power team made it to the first place with an impressive exercise in team effort (balancing each other's strength and weakness where necessary) that all they need to do now is keep focusing and hope that luck is on their side. I did notice Rachel using her brains and communicating with TK on the choice of detour and also reminding themselves not to leave anything behind when they're done with the garland. Truly they're working together - not against each other - and that's always a good sign.

Still, I can't help feeling unnerved by the preview of the next episode. Whoever does the editing sure knows how to keep viewers nervous!
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:14 am

Hmm, another thing that is still bugging me is what on Earth was Jen trying to do, giving the elephant that garland?! I never heard myself laughing nervously at that point (nervous for Kynt & Vyxsin while trying to process that silly spectacle!)
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby buckybacker on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:25 am

Great episode. Loved the speedbump - it didn't seem like it immediately put teams at a disadvantage, though the 30 minute marked for elimination penalty was probably less of a burden. But as with the u-turn it at least offers some feeling of control. And it makes better television than watching a team stand and sweat.

Thought the tasks were some of the most country-appropriate in a long time. The movie posters and flower-sewing were very good. I'm still waiting for Christina to hit Ron over the head with her backpack. Just what TPTB want to hear I'm sure.

Goths seemed to come unhinged the last two legs. Definitely not karma, but by this point fatigue obviously has started to affect teams.

Regarding the teams left, I've become so blasé about TAR I don't care who's in it. It's fun to watch if I can get to it, but TAR has slipped from my "must-see" radar.
buckybacker
bunched

Next

Return to Past Seasons