12.7 - This is Forever, Now

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

12.7 - This is Forever, Now

Postby miri on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby KenF on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:28 pm

Phil lied to us when he said there would be no non-elimination legs. Well, I'm glad for it as the Goths continue on at least for another week. Good episode. No airport drama.

And good on Don for doing the tattoo!
KenF
taking a detour

Postby miri on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:30 pm

When did Phil say that? I don't remember him saying that. I thought someone else not as directly involved with the show (producer or something?) said that.
miri

Postby WalterC on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:30 pm

It was Littman and Van Muster who lied about no non-elimiation legs. I wished the 1st (and probably only) non-elim would have been the leg before.

Like it or not, I can see Jen & Nate winning this race, like the way Eric & Danielle did the season before. Only difference is that J&N are a legitimate team.
WalterC
bunched

Postby miri on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Ah, thanks, WalterC - it was Littman I remember saying that. You'd think BVM would know better!

I finally saw the first ep of the season and Phil did say that 8 of the 11 legs would be eliminations.
miri

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:45 pm

Either way, I'm glad that the NEL is still around. Even though it's only 2, and even if they might seem predictable sometimes, I always find them interesting (moreso given the twists that have come into play over the years and how the victims would overcome them).

Mentioning twists, I really love the new Speed bump twist.

Love the new Speed Bump thing. I have to wonder though, what would happen if the U-Turn surfaced next time, and if the Goths were the victims!
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby AlexDitto on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:54 pm

I nearly died when I saw the Goths were last, since I thought there were going to be no NELs. Ha, the one time I'm glad NELs are still around! I'm glad the mugging's gone, and I'm a bit worried about the Speed Bump: since they've never done it before, I hope they don't get the difficulty wrong and make it impossible to win.

I'm not so sure how I feel about the tattoo. Getting your head shaved is one thing, but a tattoo? It just didn't seem like that much of an "Amazing Race" challenge.

The fact that there are only five teams left really hit me hard this episode. I suddenly realized how close we are to the end! Scary!
AlexDitto
at the start line

Postby Rachel RSL on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:59 pm

Yay! I was also surprised (pleasantly) by the appearance of a NE leg but I also have stayed away from Spoilers this season so I didn't realize the Speed Bump was somehow tied in with a NE leg. I love the idea of the Spead Bump. FINALLY a Non-Elim penalty that makes sense, is interesting, doesn't make you cringe, and actually ties in with the entire concept of the Race!

TK and Rachel really grew on me in this episode so I would have been sad with either team leaving. I'm ready for Gramps to go. I still like that team a lot but dude was stressing out way too much about a tattoo. You can always get it removed afterwards. Ron can go too. If only Christina and Nick could be a team.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby yikes on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:24 pm

The Speed Bump was semi leaked as it was mentioned on the CBS site but with no details and was pulled. But I REALLY like the idea. I think there have been fans that have been asking for something like this as the penalty for a long time now.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby miri on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:34 pm

Rachel RSL wrote:TK and Rachel really grew on me in this episode so I would have been sad with either team leaving.

Same here. I think it's because we did see them getting frustrated and a wee bit testy. Makes them human! They didn't start ripping in to each other, though. So good on them.
miri

Postby theschnauzers on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:42 pm

I'm not aware that any of the spoilers had mentioned a connection between the Speed Bump and the NEL before this episode aired tonight. I did suspect after the U-Turn was introduced that the Speed Bump might involve just one team, but I had not connected it to the NELs because of Littman's interview last summer.

From the previews, I'm wondering if the next leg is headed back to Africa. CBS said there were two new African contries in this edition, and it seems to me they're running out of legs to get back to Africa.

This week. Boy, the team standings got all jumbled up this leg; the Fast Forward pulled a team that atartd the leg last into first, a well-performing team implodes over the driving and map reading, a misplaced clue ends up giving a team better information on driving to the next clue, and it seems that TK never learned to lose his cool, because most teams would have melted down with problems on two clues in the first half of the leg. And props to them for doing the "other" detour option....and somehow I suspect they made the better choice for themselves.
The ultralight aircraft were cool. It reminded me of the gliders in Italy during TAR Classic.
Kynt and Vyxsin have hit KF big time. And from the previews it looks like KF is hitting Ronald as well, so I wonder if those are the next two teams on the chopping block.
Last edited by theschnauzers on Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby lucinator on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:30 am

Love the Speed Bump idea! I wonder if it'll be companion to the U-Turn, with the NEL team being the one that has to perform both Detours.

The ride in the ultralight looked awesome! And scary! I'd love to do it. I was a bit surprised that so many teams wanted to do the flag detour since it's subjective.
lucinator
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess

Postby Trista on Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:20 am

Yet another episode I had to miss due to work, thank goodness for YouTube:)

I read an episode guide though and I must say that the Speed Bump is the best idea for a penalty that there has been. The mugging and clothes could turn out to be an advantage in some cases, so it wasn't a terrible penalty so to speak. Marked for elimination was a good idea-on paper. But it never turned out that way. Granted you lose a half hour so you're affected for the leg after that too, but most of the times it was like "What half hour?".

But Speed Bump-first of all, it does fit quite well with the race theme, second of all, it's a true obstacle to overcome, and third anything is better than the previous two options.
Trista
at the start line

Postby evening on Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:42 am

Great editing in the end! I was screaming at the TV! I've been a TK/Rachel fan since the beginning and didnt want them to go. WAS ready for Kynt to go... Free Vyxsen!
evening
road blocked

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:15 am

Finally, an episode that drives me up the wall! I love those two Goths (except when they're fighting) but I have to go for TK & Rachel here.

Sigh, seems I finally found the team that I am biased to, heh(though I dunno how long that will last, seeing how lucky those two Me&Daddy teams are, ie. Me&QuietDaddy and Me&NoisyDaddy).

I like Rachel for the quiet fighter that she is, strangely compatible with TK for all his drive and energy. Though she looks small and fragile, I sometimes am more worried of TK than her! Does she see things through of what? Surprises me most of the time, despite the seemingly insurmountable obstacles (and those bad lucks)! But at least she tried to stay cool and just fight on to stay in it in contrast to Jen who is always shouting and screaming...that impatience and control-freakiness just don't make me any more confident with her race (don't get me started with her boyfriend - I dunno whether to pity or hate that guy).

Another reason is the fact that I still haven't seen TK and Rachel abusing one another especially now that the pressure's on. Even I want them to yell a bit at each other...(for example, TK's "We're done for" statement, grr).

As for the Speed-bump, good idea... although I think maybe they should put the Speed-bump at random to penalize any other teams as well. At least it'll even the odds for the Kynt/Vyxen who has to do it compulsorily due to the NEL. Dang, I hate to see them go too soon if they're unable to overcome it.
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Next

Return to Past Seasons