11.8 - The Way You Look, Yeah

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

11.8 - The Way You Look, Yeah

Postby miri on Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:54 pm

Discuss!
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby leew261 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:00 pm

Trying for a flight with such a short connection is so stupid that Uchenna and Joyce richly deserved their elimination, as well as being all but edited out of this episode.

Why do people get their panties in such a wad about being Yielded? It's a legitimate race strategy. Teams don't do it cause they hate you, they do it because they want to beat you.
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby Abiz on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:00 pm

Somewhere, Rob and Amber really enjoyed that episode, I bet.
Abiz
taking a detour

Postby miri on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:04 pm

Hmph. My computer decided to not record the ep. *sigh*
miri

Postby Loraxe on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:05 pm

The Girl Power episode. I liked it, even though we knew none of it meant anything, once it wasn't TBC. Mirna wasn't even as annoying as usual.
Loraxe
fast forwarding

Postby KenF on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:07 pm

leew261 wrote:Why do people get their panties in such a wad about being Yielded? It's a legitimate race strategy. Teams don't do it cause they hate you, they do it because they want to beat you.

Exactly. People take it personally. In every version that has the dreaded Yield, the yieldees take it as if they're a victim. It's strategy. Like Dustin & Kandice said, it's strategy. It's a game. They treat the race properly.

Felt bad for Uchenna & Joyce. They went for a risk and lost.

And what about Charla & MIrna? During one of her interviews (perhaps it was after the last leg), Mirna says "Oh we never look at anyone's flights because we don't work that way."

Oh! Um! You have selective memory, Mirna! You tried to find out what Teri & Ian were doing earlier, plus back in TAR5, you did the same thing to Colin. And you also wanted to find out what Eric & Danielle were doing just as you arrived arrived at the airport in Poland. You don't work that way. Shut up! I don't know how I even liked this team back then. OMG!!!!! They annoy me soooooo much!!!!!
KenF
taking a detour

Postby DariaG on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:08 pm

My local cable company had a glitch, so I missed about 10 minutes of it. I don't know which detour the Chas or Eric & Danielle did -- can someone fill me in?

I'd yield Eric & Danielle on principle, just because they're awful. Charla & Mirna are also awful, but they're so insane they're amusing.

Just as yielding is part of the game, so is taking chances. In TAR3, KennyG and the Wonder Twins also had a tight connection in Frankfurt, and were also told that the flight was closed to them. But they got on it anyway, so it paid off. It's one of the gambles of the race. Where I fault U&J is that the next flight wasn't that much further behind, so the gamble didn't give them that much of an advantage.

I'm so glad to see that the lovely people of Malaysia recycle their newspapers!
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby leew261 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:09 pm

The Chas ended up doing the artistic one, while Eric and Danielle were the only team to successfully do the cookies.
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby vinzanity on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:11 pm

Hey guys, my TV satellite's down and has been down since last night.

Could someone please tell me the following:

Which team was the first to complete the detour challenge? roadblock challenge?

Was there a fast forward or a yield on this leg?

Who was eliminated?
vinzanity
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Stooge-a-holic on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:15 pm

Mirna made me laugh at the start of the race. We don't copy off of other racers we run our own race. I guess Mirna uses selective memory when it comes to finding flight connections that the BQ's use.

We were yielded ... sob sob boo hoo ... it's called a race. I would have done the same thing. At that point you have a chance to give yourself an edge you take it.

Other than it was obvious who was eliminated I still enjoyed the show.

Was it one box contained licorce or just one cookie? I still couldn't figure that out hearing reading the clue sevral times.

Next week's preview ... I will be Mirna's stunt double ... trapped between the two BQ's sounds good to me.

Will Eric ever do a difficult roadblock?

Will a yielded team ever get over it?
Stooge-a-holic

Postby Abiz on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:15 pm

Beauty Queens finished both the detour and roadblock first (even though Charla and Mirna had what looked like a 2-hour head start). They also checked in to the pitstop first and won scooters.

No FF that we saw. There was a yield, and the BQs yielded Eric and Danielle.

Uchenna and Joyce were eliminated, and were never a factor because they were a day behind due to a missed plane connection in Frankfurt. They got the mercy clue at the first route marker that told them to go straight to the pit stop.
Last edited by Abiz on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abiz
taking a detour

Postby vinzanity on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Abiz wrote:Beauty Queens finished both the detour and roadblock first (even though Charla and Mirna had what looked like a 2-hour head start).

There was a yield, and the BQs yielded Eric and Danielle.

Uchenna and Joyce were eliminated, and were never a factor because they were a day behind due to a missed plane connection in Frankfurt. They got the mercy clue at the first route marker that told them to go straight to the pit stop.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.
vinzanity

Postby KenF on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:17 pm

By the way, for Amazing Race Asia fans, I believe the greeter with Phil in tonight's episode was the same greeter with Alan Wu in the first leg of TARA.
Last edited by KenF on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenF
taking a detour

Postby Trista on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:20 pm

I kinda figured that Uchenna/Joyce got the mercy clue, something we haven't seen in a long time.
Trista
at the start line

Postby cutecouple on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:34 pm

KenF wrote:By the way, for Amazing Race Asia fans, I believe the greeter with Phil in tonight's episode was the same greeter in the first leg with Alan Wu in the first leg of TARA.
Makes sense. Just as how Malaysians all knew many of the Racers - they must be big fans of the show in general. Which might explain why they spent so much time in South America - less local knowledge of the racers.

Anyway, a decent leg marred by U&J's extremely risky travel choice. Twas bold, but with no margin for error. When they couldn't get their flight, I knew they were pretty much doomed, and that drained the drama out of the leg. I wonder if the other teams knew or cared while they were racing.

Danny & Oswald - please stay.

Danielle & the other boob - generally OK, but kind of childish.

The BQ's - great race, nice strategy.

Charla & Mirna - getting a better edit, but Mirna's still brutal. It's like she either has no sensitivity to others at all, has no idea how she appears to others, or is generally off the wall. She's witty at times, but she's not smart about it.
cutecouple
bunched

Next

Return to Past Seasons