**********TAR10 Spoilers (Enter at your own risk)**********

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby Abiz on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:30 pm

simslut wrote:Add me to the list who would like to see the race go to Denmark. My parents and sister, who took a cruise to Scandanavia, said that there is this great castle in Copenhagen with about a million winding steps to get to the top. As they were trying to catch their breath upon reaching the top,they thought about how great of a pitstop the top of the castle would be for a future race.

I was in Copenhagen last winter -- I bet you're referring to the tower in Christianhavn on Vor Felsers Kirke. There are tons of cool towers in Copenhagen. This one has a freaky spiral staircase on the outside of the tower that you can climb all the way to the top.

You're right, it would be an awesome place for a cluebox.
Abiz
taking a detour

Postby rabrab on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:18 pm

Got another probable/possible/reported location!!

Barcelona, yesterday and today.

Posts on TWoP, starting here about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Contestants were in Barcelona yesterday and today at some type of art museum (I forget the name) doing something that had to do with a very large amount of tomatoes.
in a later post, (s)he identifies the museum as this place, the Colonia Guell.

Reportedlty the Teams came in at 8:35 pm yesterday on Air France from Paris. That part does check out; there's an AF flight from DeGaulle to Barcelona -- AF 2148 departs Paris at 6:50, arrives Barcelona 8:35PM.

If true, that means we've got the schedule (color-coded for your reading pleasure!) thusly, so far:

Start: Seattle May 27th. Solid--film permits for Gasworks Park on file with Seattle Film Office.

No sighting but information that they went through Beijing [(plausible/probable (first leg/ first elimination) on the way to

Ulaan Baator, Mongolia, May 31st. Relatively solid, or a very elaborate hoax.

Third leg (unknown)

"a small town in" New Zealand (Devonport?) June 2-3rd. Relatively solid.

Singapore (flimsy, very flimsy.)

Kuwait June 8th - 9th. Solid, including photos.

Unknown whether there is another leg between these two.

Mauritius, June 12th starting between 10-11 am (five teams, six kayaks seen; photos of cluebox on the beach; teams seen match previous descriptions.)Solid.

Finland, June 16th: possible, but completely unsupported.

Another missing leg, based on elapsed time

Barcelona, June 21st, 22nd (probable.)

Based on the way this fits together, I'm going to suggest:

1.Beijing
2.Ulaan Baator
3.New Zealand
4.Kuwait
5.unknown possible leg
6.Mauritius
7.unknown leg
8.Finland
9.unknown leg
10.Barcelona

list edited to reflect firm dates of New Zealand leg
Last edited by rabrab on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby FrostieJ on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:26 pm

OMG check the link again to the video...it shows more now.
FrostieJ
amazing racer

Postby rabrab on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:38 pm

The link to the longer video is on page 6 of that thread.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby one on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:48 pm

Woooow! Thats an Amazing (with a capital A) video!

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/i ... op2wmv.flv
one
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby SVNBob on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:44 pm

Spain? Tomatoes? TAR's going to Tomatina?
SVNBob
road blocked

Postby rabrab on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:58 am

That would be wonderful, but wrong month, wrong city, I 'm afraid.

So, I just went trolling thru the Sucks spoiler thread for anything that hasn't already been carried over here, and came up with these:

1. Mauritius: The roadblock happened near Merville Beach Hotel, one of the oldest hotels on the island. It is over an hour's drive from the airport.

2.Finland: teams and camera crews were spotted at Turku's railway station at 5:20 pm last friday (June 16th). Teams drove off towards east in Mercedeses.

3: New Zealand: Devonport is a maybe, Queenstown in confirmed--more tunnels. Dates are June 2nd and 3rd.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby theamazingracer on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:20 pm

I can help with Rabrab's timeline from my non-English source.

1 Seattle to Beijing, China
2 Beijing to Ulan Bator (the English spelling), Mongolia
3 Ulan Bator to Christchurch, New Zealand (two part leg)
4 Christchurch to Singapore (flimsy, but NZ to Kuwait seems too far in one leg when you don't have to)
5 Singapore to Kuwait (Kuwait confirmed, you can see a "5" tag on one backpack in the photos)
6 Kuwait to Mombasa, Kenya (flimsy, but unless Kuwait is a double-extended pit stop, there's something in between here and Mauritius)
7 Mombasa to Mauritius
8 Mauritius to Parnu, Estonia
9 Parnu to Turku, Finland (non-English site has five teams taking the ferry across from Tallinn)
10 Turku to Unknown Location (Possibly Paris or Belgium, based on next leg flight info)
11 Unknown Location to Barcelona, Spain
12 Barcelona to Token Lame Middle Destination to Finish Line

To all the spoilers who call this a west-to-east race (and I've seen it several times in this thread alone): There's a reason America and Canada are "Western" countries and Japan etc. are the "Far East". You mean east-to-west.

Mongolia, the Middle East, Mauritius, Finland, Spain, and possibly Belgium. It's like with the last two seasons (with Brazil, Greece, Oman and Japan) they're trying to make up for TAR:FE with all the locations we've been begging for them to go.
theamazingracer
taking a detour

Postby rabrab on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:38 pm

I don't now about anybody else, but I've been calling it west-to-east because that's the direction they're travelling, not because of some outdated, Euro-centric view of the world. <g>

Anyway, it's nice to have those spaces filled in, even if the Singapore leg seems to be an assumption. (At least it's based on a comment heard in passing that's open to two interpretations: that they were going to Singapore next, or that they were going to Singapore on their way somewhere else.

Where did the Mombasa one come from? I don't recall even seeing that hinted at (but I'm not following all the boards by a long shot.) And Airwise says there aren't any flights Mombasa-Mauritius. I'm not having any luck getting any information on flights out of Mombasa.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby theamazingracer on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:50 pm

Mombasa is also from my non-English site (which, by the way, has confirmed Dubrovnik as false). Try flights to Nairobi.
theamazingracer
taking a detour

Postby rabrab on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:41 pm

OK, then there's
Non-stop Mombasa-Nairobi (1 hour flight) arriving at 8:30 and 12:10 AM and 2:00, 5:30, 8:15, 8:30, and 9:15 PM. Connecting at Kilimanjaro Airport there's one that leaves Mombasa at 10:05 and arrives at either 2:45 or 4:30 depending on the connection, and one that leaves Mombasa at 12:40PM, connects through Zanzibar, and lands at Nairobi at 5:00pm.

From Nairobi, they almost have to go to Johannesburg, and there a few:
9:50am -- 5:05pm connecting thru Zanzibar
10:00am -- 3:20pm thru Kigali
1:10pm -- 6:45pm thru Entebbe
3:30pm -- 9:45pm thru Harare
3:40pm -- 7:00pm Direct.

But the last flight of the day from Jo'burg to Mauritius leaves at 12:25pm -- several hours before the first flight even gets to Jo'burg. So it looks like Mombasa to Mauritius would be a least a 24-hours transit.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby EnricoV on Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:57 am

Personally, I refer to it as going "to the west." I'm not sure how you can call anything, east to west, considering there's nothing that's definitively "The East" or "The West." It's all relative!

It's incredible all these spoilers coming out of the woodworks. And what great destinations.

I'd say, though, that there has to be a leg or two in between NZ and Kuwait, not because of the length of the flight (24 hours), but just because of the number of days in between. They have to be somewhere during those 5 or so days.

Am I remembering wrong, or on TAR6 did the flight not go via Mauritius when they flew from South Africa to India?

This race is going to mess with everyone's (ours and the racers) perceptions of time, since everywhere they go, they'll be losing time as they go. It makes it harder to calculate the distance.
EnricoV
bunched

Postby Tenderfoot on Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:39 pm

I'm not sure how you can call anything, east to west, considering there's nothing that's definitively "The East" or "The West." It's all relative!

If that's true, it makes it pretty hard to use a compass or read a map.

Over at TWoP there's a supposed sighting of the black female team at Rockefeller Center. Of course, I believe that decoy teams -- I think including Lynn & Alex -- ran through Rockefeller Center for TAR7.
Tenderfoot
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Signal on Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:10 am

Here's some pics in a train from Tampere to Turku :)

http://viltsu.net/gallery/v/Yhteiset/Matkat/Turku2006/

I heard from a reliable source that some woman had talked with one couple in the train and the couple said that they had flown from Madagascar to Helsinki and from Helsinki to Tampere and Ylöjärvi and then they had to travel with a train to Turku where they must find the cars and drive to quarry mines in Lohja. What happened after that is unknown.
Signal
the world is waiting

Postby EnricoV on Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:24 am

If that's true, it makes it pretty hard to use a compass or read a map.

Perhaps, when you take one statement out of context. But it is still relative, just as I said. The point at which you begin is either to the north or west or east or south of everywhere else.

I guess I was just attempting to emphasise that it is a direction, not a place. At least, not without a descriptor; you can be in East LA ... you just can't be in "the East." If you don't want to be accused of being ethnocentric. You can travel to the west, and you'd be correct in saying you're coming from the east of where you're going, but you're also going to a location that is east from someone else's point of view. And if you're going to circumnavigate the globe, and essentially end up back where you started, would that not then be travelling east to east ... if it's a place?

And in my case ... the first leg of the race was run from The North to The West. But that's not true for everyone. It did, however, travel in an east to west direction.

Yeah, yeah. I know I should go look for the philsophy thread and take this out of here....

Oooh ... great detail info Signal!
EnricoV
bunched

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons