TAR 8-3: I Don't Kiss, I Make Out

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby Calen on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:29 pm

FrankTheTank wrote:I like it too, count me in the 'it's better than no-TAR' camp. And I really don't mind the All-North America aspect either, it makes sense because of the youngin's, and there's some cool places they can go to in the US and Canada.

I also don't have any trouble with the North American slant. Personally, I don't have trouble finding adventure anywhere I travel, even if it's "in my own backyard". But I don't see why the kids should have driven this decision. I guess that's a convenient cop out, but it seems to me that they should not have made that decision because of the young children.

One thing I really don't like, though, is how close the teams are when they leave the pit stops. Surely they aren't all arriving to every single pit stop that close to each other (are they?), why are they leaving that close?
Calen
yielded

Postby lowbrow on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:53 pm

Maniller Sixty Five wrote:Phil looked kind of tired (or sick?) at the pitstop. Maybe he was still recovering from the centrifuge, but there was just something ... off. It was nice to see him demonstrate a roadblock for once, though. I don't remember him ever doing that.

I was just at cbs.com and they have video of Phil describing how he did that stand up and it cracked me up. For me that was the best part of this episode. I watched it twice.
lowbrow
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby MacMadame on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:53 pm

My problems with the race to date and this episode:

Up until now, I've felt most tasks were lame. Last week when they did the Civil War reinactment, was the first time I thought "I want to do that!" And even then, the second task of the detour was lame -- fill up 20 lamps and light them? WTF?! This episode with the mud race and the space camp tasks and shucking shrimp heads are much more what I expect TAR to be like. Hopefully there will be more of this in the future.

Poorly constructed legs. This was a big problem with TAR6 for me (my least favorite season) with it's crazy-ass bunching. This season has actually been good in some ways -- until this leg. I think that TPTB thought the hunt for the AOL clue would mix things up a bit but the centrifuge tasks just spaced the teams out too much. Up until now, we've had many more position changes in a leg due to all the self-navigating combined with tasks that also allowed things to be mixed up. OTOH all that driving leg after leg was a bit much as was spending so much time in such a concentrated area. They should have only had 1 leg in the East Coast and then moved on.

Too hard to know who people are. I'm starting to get some sense of certain strong-willed team members on some of the teams but still have no idea what their names are. For example, there is one YabbaDabbaDoski sister who seems to be overly bossy and it looks like it is her who causes the other one to cry next week but I'll be darned if I have the faintest idea which ones they are. Teams with a mixture of ages and sexes are easier to figure out but even then it's hard to get a sense of personalities sometimes -- I've only just figured out that it isn't both Paolo boys fighting with their mom but only 1 of them, for example.
MacMadame
TARfly

Postby emjaytee on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:01 pm

I've only just figured out that it isn't both Paolo boys fighting with their mom but only 1 of them, for example.

Well you're far ahead of me, because I didn't know that till you said it. I agree it's disconcerting to not know who's who. I know the family names now, but everybody within the families are indistinguishable.
emjaytee
TARfloozy

Postby MacMadame on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:08 pm

I think they did dumb down the race because of the kids. The irony is, I don't think they had to at all. Or at least not this much.

I was in the "give it a chance" camp before this season started. Now I'm in the "meh" camp. Hopefully it will get better as more teams are eliminated.
MacMadame
TARfly

Postby bungle3358 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:09 pm

I agree that most of these people are a blank to me. I didn't know a single Aiello by name. I don't know any of the Godliewskis, or Wally's daughters, or the Linz boys.

I didn't like the setup of this leg at all either. It basically came down to who grabbed the tickets fastest. Nothing before or after that mattered. Plus, the Roadblock was totally lame. The only skill involved was the ability to sit.

Actually, I'm starting to like Hunter. It was nice that he and Rolly became friends, and I don't think he had much strategy or whatever to let slip. And I'm not going to come down on him too hard for calling his mom a bitch. It's not cool, but not really surprising coming from a boy his age. I really don't think it's a mom vs. stepmom thing either. I'm not proud of it, but I probably said as much about my mom when I was that age. I would have known better than to say it on camera though.

Much to my own surprise, I wanted the Gaghans to stay over the Aiellos. The Aiellos seemed really nice, but didn't bring much entertainment value. I'm impressed by how NOT exhausted the Gaghan kids are.

The Weavers on the other hand? oy. That breakdown on the bus was painful to watch. To be there would have killed me. I'm not sure if only one of the daughters is a spaz, or they both are. And of course all the Jesus name dropping is getting old too. I do think the racetrack thing next week is cruel however.

djeber, there's no doubt in my mind that your scenario will come to pass next week...

I can't keep the Linzes straight, so I'm not sure, but I think it's just the littlest Linz who's trying so hard to be funny. The rest seem ok.
bungle3358
road blocked

Postby FrankTheTank on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:44 pm

bungle3358 wrote:I can't keep the Linzes straight, so I'm not sure, but I think it's just the littlest Linz who's trying so hard to be funny. The rest seem ok.

Yeah, it's Tommy, I think. The one who was spooning with the shrimp and letting us know how much he likes to fart. He's only funny because he's so cheesy. I like Megan a lot, she's cute and is more than pulling her weight. The 2 oldest brothers aren't bad either. They're definitely a lot more naturally funny than Tommy. They need to listen to Megan more though.
FrankTheTank
bunched

Postby jer2002 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:04 pm

Ok this is about those Great Moments in TAR History that they show during the show. How do they pick them? Because in my view, JVJ eating the cheese was the lamest thing on that season.
jer2002
taking a detour

Postby DariaG on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

I thought so, too. That same leg had a bungee jumping detour, and goat-chasing, which was amusing. And many of the other episodes were even more exciting.

And John Vito and Jill aren't even together any more, which makes it worse for me.

Oh, well.
DariaG
content witch & strip tease artist
content witch & strip tease artist

Postby jer2002 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:23 pm

I think the thing that I was most disapointed by was that "She's a bitch." was not the episode title.

There are three airports in the DC area.

I know of 2, Dulles & Reagan. Which is the third?
jer2002
taking a detour

Postby Super Goten on Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:12 pm

I liked the episode, except for the fact that the Aiellos couldn't catch up at the RB.

I like the past TAR moments thing they're doing. Next up, season 4. A season where i watched the whole thing! lol They should show Amanda and Chris just to hear some f-bombs. lol.
Super Goten
road blocked

Postby leew261 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:21 pm

Well you're far ahead of me, because I didn't know that till you said it. I agree it's disconcerting to not know who's who. I know the family names now, but everybody within the families are indistinguishable.

Don't worry, after just two more eliminations there will be fewer people in this race than at the beginning of a normal season of TAR.

There are three airports in the DC area.

I know of 2, Dulles & Reagan. Which is the third?

Baltimore-Washington International.
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby yikes on Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:38 pm

jer2002 wrote:Ok this is about those Great Moments in TAR History that they show during the show. How do they pick them? Because in my view, JVJ eating the cheese was the lamest thing on that season.

At least you get those moments. Us Canucks are at the mercy of CTV and regulations about showing Canadian ads. (Note to self: arrange it so I get the HDTV of American channels so I can SEE these ads.)
yikes
fast forwarding

Weavers and the busride from hell

Postby genghisKhan on Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:54 pm

Although the Weaver females all seem a bit hysterical for my taste, during that busride they must have been seriously sleep deprived. They left the pitstop at 2:20 AM (and they do interviews beforehand), went to Dulles, then the flight to Charleston, then the busride that went from 5PM to at least 1 AM the next day (8 hour ride, assuming all went well in route), and then they do the Space stuff in the early morning hours. So those kids were without sleep for a lot of hours, and some people deal with that better than others. This surprised me given how easy they had it at first, presumably for the sake of the kids.

I actually think Ma Weaver did a good thing to get her girls to blow off some steam and get the energy going for the Huntsville tasks ahead. And it paid off, they went from last to 5th while some other teams were just too slow off the bus. That said, I didn't like the fact that the centerfuge thing was line-up because there was really no way for a later team to overtake a team who had left proabably a 10+ mintutes ahead of them. I'm guessing on the time difference, but they usually do a little training before they put them in to do the centerfuge.

Lastly, anyone get how much money they got at the beginning of this leg?
genghisKhan
at the start line

Re: Weavers and the busride from hell

Postby FrankTheTank on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:39 pm

genghisKhan wrote:Lastly, anyone get how much money they got at the beginning of this leg?

I don't think they got any. I can't remember anything they've done these first 3 legs that required money.

Has anyone said yet who said the title line?
FrankTheTank
bunched

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons