TAR 8-2: How Do We Know We Aren't Going to Get Shot?

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby Rachel RSL on Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:03 pm

I don't know if anyone else thought this, but to me some of the racers were very rude to the "spies". I believe I even heard one of them say to a "spy" (don't remember who) that her panties were too tight. I would have slapped that asshole as hard as I could if I were her for a comment like that. Others made remarks to but his was the worse.

I think that was one of the Paolo kids. And yes, they need to be slapped upside the head. Maybe with a brick.

It was that damned Schroeder dad who made that tacky comment. The same charming man who wished he could throw a handicapped kid out in traffic last week. I believe he also went up to an older spy and referred to him as "Pops". The man is just an asshat. The closest a PaoloGotti came to being rude to a spy was when he finally got the right spy, who happened to be black, he said "I love you my brother!" and shook his hand. But I wouldn't even consider that being rude because he obviously didn't mean it in a racial slur kind of way. I think he was actually being polite, in his own way, by saying that.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby miri on Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:11 pm

Northwoods101 wrote:Glad the Rodgers are gone, the Dad just ruins the rest of the family. CBS has kinds ruined the surprise by announcing the Schoeders stayed with them during the hurricane, it lets us know the Schoeders don't last long and bond with the Rodgers in sequesterville.

Not necessarily. At the TAR5 premiere, I noticed how close Dennis/Erika and Colin/Christie seemed to be. They were fast friends. Then when D/E went out first, I figured C/C weren't going to be far behind...
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Super Goten on Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:59 pm

I was really hoping for another racer cameo. Gus would have been a cool one. I was expecting it to be a racer in the limo....
Super Goten
road blocked

Postby macaddict on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:06 pm

Obviously, TAR is a fantasy show, not a reality show. That can be the only explanation for racers finding parking spaces at the Lincoln Memorial, the Capitol and the tidal basin.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby miri on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:10 pm

And in Manhattan! When I saw that first ep I knew they had to have cleared some curbs for them.
miri

Postby Jake on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:25 pm

When Phil said that they must choose between two tasks common in the Civil War, my first repsonse was:

"What? Dying and killing?"
Jake
taking a detour

Postby Loraxe on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:42 pm

I have not really been bored, but then Washington is as foreign as Taipei to me. If they had to deal with crappy Ottawa drivers and go to the War museum and the eternal flame at the Parliament buildings, I would have been bored too.
Loraxe
fast forwarding

Postby yikes on Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:28 pm

Rachel RSL wrote:It was that damned Schroeder dad who made that tacky comment. The same charming man who wished he could throw a handicapped kid out in traffic last week. I believe he also went up to an older spy and referred to him as "Pops". The man is just an asshat.

True that. I think he's trying to be hip and "with it" but I knew he was going to be a problem as soon as he said he was like a cuddly bear that loves eating small animals. Even his wife (who we haven't seen much of, but I do like so far) was like "Dude, the hell?!" during the pre race interview. I somehow missed the panties comment but the "Pops" comment was just tacky.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby Northwoods101 on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:30 pm

If Erika(from TAR5) was a beauty queen she and Christie could have known each other from the pageant circuit.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby lucinator on Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:27 pm

Colin said that he and Christie connected with D/E at media day when they noticed that they had similar gear. They bonded with the teams that were on that first flight with them because they were all embarking on this great adventure and ended up spending a lot of time together on that first leg. It seems like the families this season might have bonded during their camp out that first night as well, especially since they were helping each other set up their tents. In this episode they seemed pretty friendly toward each other and there were a lot of "Good lucks" yelled out when they passed each other.
lucinator
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess

Postby Calen on Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:57 am

yikes wrote:
Rachel RSL wrote:It was that damned Schroeder dad who made that tacky comment. The same charming man who wished he could throw a handicapped kid out in traffic last week. I believe he also went up to an older spy and referred to him as "Pops". The man is just an asshat.

True that. I think he's trying to be hip and "with it" but I knew he was going to be a problem as soon as he said he was like a cuddly bear that loves eating small animals. Even his wife (who we haven't seen much of, but I do like so far) was like "Dude, the hell?!" during the pre race interview. I somehow missed the panties comment but the "Pops" comment was just tacky.

I think he's hilarious, when taken in the right context...

But then, I love tshirthell.com, too. :D
Calen
yielded

Postby djeber on Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:32 pm

I like the humor on tshirthell.com too. However, I found the dad to be more asshat than funny this time around.

Speaking of asshat dads, yes, papa Rogers does indeed fall into that category. That said, I was bummed that the family with the cute daughter got eliminated while the thoroughly obnoxious and unlikeable Paolo's didn't.

Also, I'm starting to realize how important the exotic locales were to this show. It's just not quite as cool now that it's taking place in the U.S., but I'm still enjoying the season.
djeber
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Northwoods101 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:07 pm

How long until Pa's Rodgers and Schroeder start blaming the editors?
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby bluelena on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:37 pm

If anyone blames the editors, it'll be the Paolo's.
bluelena
TARfly

Postby EnricoV on Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:47 am

I don't think it's the locale that's the problem...it's the tasks themselves.

TAR always starts off with a "daring" task. In recent races, it's always been a zipline. Where's some skydiving, bungee jumping ... something like that?

I think, too, the short distances they have travelled is a problem. It instills excitement when the routemarker tell them to fly off to another continent. Driving 30 miles down the road just doesn't have the same thrill.

Mixing up the transportation would liven things up, too. They could have driven to Washington, DC and at least have them go by public transportation to a more distant location for the "find the spy" task. And then return to the point of origin, back to their vehicles. But I get why they didn't...too much unsupervised public interaction. So that's a trade-off.

The NASA stuff in the previews looked a bit more thrilling. I'm not hating this race, but I do have hopes things will liven up just a bit.
EnricoV
bunched

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons