TAR 8-2: How Do We Know We Aren't Going to Get Shot?

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby FrankTheTank on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:46 pm

It sucks to see Brittney go. At least the Branson girls are still around though, but Wally needs to pick it up if they're going all the way.

Best part of the episode was seeing some guy with one of those disgusting Bungles jerseys running around a civil war battlefield! I don't think I saw one of those in Gettysburg or Glory!

And though I work out there, I am wishing that there were a lot fewer gas stations in NoVA right now. And how dumb do you have to be to turn into a gas station, and then turn out of it in the opposite direction. It's too bad the Paolos couldn't have gotten lost in DC when they went back for more, maybe hop on 295 and take that down into Anacostia.
FrankTheTank
bunched

Postby pseudostudent on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:05 pm

leew261 wrote:Was it just me or was that the most boring episode of TAR ever?

I definitely thought it was the most boring episode ever, as did several other people in the TARchat.

Maybe next week they'll go somewhere I've never been before. The first two episodes been nothing more than the Less-Than-Amazing High School Field Trip to me. The only good part was seeing all those Civil War reenactors.

If you've never been close to a Civil War re-enactment, you've missed a very intense experience. Those guys are extremely serious, down to obsessing about the realism of the buttons on their uniforms.

You'd have to be serious to run around on an open battlefield in wool uniforms in the middle of summer!
pseudostudent
fast forwarding

Postby rabrab on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:17 pm

For me, TAR classic is prime rib and all the trimmings. TARFamily is manicotti-it's good manicotti, but it's not prime rib.

I too was hoping the Paolos would run out of gas. Yes, that Yukon has got a big gas tank-- that means that it takes a long time to fill it from empty.

At least Pop Rogers did take the blame for sending them the wrong way, but I must admit, if I were in Brock's shoes, I'd have been pretty pissed, too. Tell me I missed an exit, when you gave the wrong directions and then call me stupid? Nope, I wouldn't be letting that go for a while.

And once more, Carissa finds something that she can do in a task that's mostly beyond her capabilities. All she was carrying was caps and canteens and such, but that meant there was just that much less weight that her parents had to haul on the stretcher.

I think that driver-daughter Weaver was using the cruise-control, and that that's how she could drive with her left leg pulled back that way. I know that it's what I do when I put on the cruise.

I'm still pulling for the Aiellos, the Gaghans, and the Godlewskis. The Weavers are OK, so are the Bransens. The Paolos need to go away. Soon.
rabrab
TARfly

Postby yikes on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:19 pm

Not THE most boring one as I've watched a few where I knew it was a NEL from the get go, but there was too much focus on driving that made it certainly not as fulfilling.

At least we did some of the standards:
-Several teams misreading the clue entirely. At least with Pat and Brenda in TAR1, they didn't know there was a second pendulum. But the clue was specific in the location. How did 1/2 of the teams miss that, I would LOVE to know.

-Map reading. The Linz learned a lesson, but Daddy Rogers? Ass. He clearly said to Brock to go east instead of west, gets pissed off at his son for alledgedly missing the exit and no one seems to call him on it. And then says he goofed AFTER they got booted. Can't wait for The Early Show to hear him explain this one.
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby lucinator on Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:20 am

When the Godlewskis left the pit stop at the beginning of the race, I noticed that Phil didn't mention what time they arrived. Since that was around the time of the London bombings, I think they probably ended up staying at the first pit stop for an extra day or so while the travel plans were adjusted. It's hard to believe that they were allowed to do all that in DC around that time! Security must have been tight.

I like the friendliness between the teams. I was thinking that they might not have time to get to know each other since there isn't much airport bunching but I guess they could have bonded while camping and at the pit stop.

I'm also surprised that the Gaghans chose the physical detour. The parents must be really strong to have been able to push the buggy last week and do most of the work of carrying five men. I think they took a long time at the first reflecting pool because they went all the way around it. It looks pretty big.
lucinator
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess

Postby EnricoV on Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:49 am

Daddy Rogers screwed up several times this episode, all on his own. Not only the bad directions, but he also clued the clueless Gaghans and Bransens into there being a second reflecting pool. If he'd kept his mouth shut, they likely still be in it. Which bums me out, 'cause I liked the son the best of all the racers.

And speaking of clueless daddies -- Daddy Gaghan probably ought to listen to his annoying son and ask for help next time. But they did impress on the Detour, where so many other teams (of 4 adults) were having such trouble.

I have re-enactors in the family. And it is a kick in the pants. Fortunately, we're out in the cooler northwest, so humidity isn't a consideration (while rain can be). The soldiers do come off the battlefield soaked though, due to the wool uniforms. It's a fun hobby. But expensive!
EnricoV
bunched

Postby emjaytee on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:36 am

First he gets blamed by his father and everything he says is totally ignored, and then even when Pa Rogers is forced to cop to it being his mistake, he still twists it somehow so that I end up hating him even more.

Exactly. And when everyone realized it was his fault all along, he says something like " well, I guess one guy can't do everything". No wonder his son is so sullen. He is right, but no one listens to him. I am sorry to see Brittany go. Her little squeal when she completed the roadblock was very cute.

Maybe the word Capitol reflecting pool confused the teams somewhat. Maybe they figured "Well this is the reflecting pool. In the Capital.

For me, TAR classic is prime rib and all the trimmings. TARFamily is manicotti-it's good manicotti, but it's not prime rib.

I hear ya. But I prefer manicotti.

And this might show a personality flaw, but even though I want the Paolos to be eliminated next, I wind up laughing at them when they're on screen and cannot seem to get up any anger toward them. When mom was screaming "You never listen to me!", I was cracking up. They're so horribly funny.

I really like the Godlewskis. They're my favorites right now. And good for the Weavers for coming in first. I didn't think they had it in them.

ETA: Oh yeah, I thought how cool it would have been if all the briefcase spy people were former racers.
emjaytee
TARfloozy

Postby yikes on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 am

emjaytee wrote:ETA: Oh yeah, I thought how cool it would have been if all the briefcase spy people were former racers.

Or to make it more interesting, have the Roadblocker answer a trivia question concerning a previous season. How maddening would that have been?
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby tallskinnylatte on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:06 am

And this might show a personality flaw, but even though I want the Paolos to be eliminated next, I wind up laughing at them when they're on screen and cannot seem to get up any anger toward them. When mom was screaming "You never listen to me!", I was cracking up. They're so horribly funny.

I kind of feel the same way. I feel sorry for Ma Paolo. While she REALLY comes off like a screaming shrew, I can't help but be embarassed for her. Because I'm so warped, I have to laugh. Of course I think the crazy son needs a good smack.

I immediately thought of the "pendulum" incident when the teams were at the wrong reflecting pool and thought for sure that the Gaghans were going to be out for wasting so much time there.

I couldn't figure out why the Paulo kid was looking at all the briefcases so closely before, but miri, I think you're right. He might have thought he would be penalized for asking the wrong person. I hadn't even thought of that!

I'm SERIOUSLY hoping that the Weavers comments have been "edited" out of context. How do you not only not know that Pennsylvania is a state..but not know where or WHAT Washington, DC is? Is it in Washington? UGH!

I'm trying really, really, really hard to love this family edition, but so far it's just not my favorite show. I'll still watch it.....but it will be great when REAL TAR comes back.
tallskinnylatte
taking a detour

Postby michelec on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:12 am

Was it just me or was that the most boring episode of TAR ever? It seemed very choppy and frenetic, but nothing much really happened.

Once I saw what the roadblock entailed I turned to the Yanks-Angels for awhile, only coming back just at the start of the detour.

I'm bummed that we have to be subjected to the Paolos for another week, but I wasn't too upset to see the Rogers go. Pops was an self-righteous ass. Brock had every right to be pissed off because he was only following the directions that were given to him. I thought the family's body language in the final shot was quite telling.

Aside from the Aiellos, I'm pretty meh on the other families right now. As for Season 8, this Amazing Summer Road Trip concept just isn't doing it for me. I may stick around for another week to give it one more chance, but I have a feeling that I may ultimately take a pass until Season 9.
Last edited by michelec on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
michelec
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:16 am

That was the strangest TAR ever. Watching people in DC traffic - that's something you don't see everyday - oh wait, I do. Oh well, it was hysterical. We had fun yelling out the streets the racers were on. The Paolos actually went all the way to Crystal City.

Yeah, as Daria said, honestly, all the Paolos had to do was continue up Independence, it turns into Penn and there is a gas station at 4th and Penn. Which is so obvious :-) Heh, actually I am sure someone could have told them if they had asked.

Man, they told them the clue box was at the US Capitol Building and they still went to the Lincoln Memorial.

And, Phil was only a few blocks away from my office and he didn't let me know? He is getting such a talking to next time I see him.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Whiterabbit on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:23 am

Hmm. My two least favorite teams competing for last place. I would have rather lost the Paolos this week and the Rogerses next week, but I can deal, especially after the way he treated Brock. Jerk.

Having driven in DC once or twice, I think it was really mean of them to make them. Frankly, it scared me when I did it, and I learned to drive in Los Angeles. I'd much rather take the Metro and get a cab at the other end if I need to.

Otherwise...eh. I thought the spy stuff was silly but kinda funny. I would have expected Carissa to take that one, somehow, I think she'd have absolutely loved it. The reenactment stuff was neat.

Paolos, GO HOME. PLEASE. JUST GO.
Whiterabbit
bunched

Postby Rachel RSL on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:45 am

This season is sucking big time! That was, by far the most boring episode of TAR ever.

Drive somewhere.
Get a clue.
Drive somewhere.
Get a clue.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

I miss the airport drama of racing to catch a plane on time, trying to sneak on a better flight then the others, begging to be let on a plane at the last minute. The Amazing Road Trip just isn't doing it for me. The only thing I enjoyed about last night's episode was:

"The sky is blue."
"Yes, it is." :::walks away:::
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby pseudostudent on Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:17 am

"The sky is blue."
"Oh, yeah, isn't it a beautiful day?"
Hee hee.

The spy stuff was definitely cheesy. It would've been more interesting if they'd had to do something at the Spy Museum.
pseudostudent
fast forwarding

Postby M. Darcy on Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:20 am

Or navigate the tunnels under the House of Reps Office Buildings. Too bad they don't allow filming there. Those are confusing enough that 3 months later, some of the teams would still be wondering around.
M. Darcy
philpostle

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons