14.3 - I'm Not Wearing That Girl's Leotard!

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Re: 14.3 - I'm Not Wearing That Girl's Leotard!

Postby evening on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:51 pm

I cant believe they started another episode with the Luke is Deaf vignette! Was fully prepared to see everyone's comments from last week AGAIN.... So, we eliminated 20 minutes of driving to LAX and finding Park 1 - only to have it replaced by the weekly 5 minute ode to Luke? Can we go back to the 405 please????? Or were the previouslies screwed up the way the Survivor preview ones were all last week?

Hopefully Victor will learn from his mistake, and listen to his sister next time. They're still my favorite to win. That completely sucked about the plane. I wonder if that plane had landed on time instead of turning around, if they would still have been wandering when the other teams arrived.
evening
road blocked

Postby username on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:03 pm

I was kinda upset that during the 2 and a half minute recap of the two previous episodes that they left out Steve and Linda's elimination from last week! I mean come on, editors! What was that about?
username
the world is waiting

Postby username on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Oh, and I'm over Luke being deaf also. He's a good racer so stop using his lack of hearing as an inspirational 'can he do it?' moment. Obviously, he can.
username
the world is waiting

Postby PhilG on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm guessing there was some sort of maximum time on the challenge.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby JenEx on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:48 pm

I hate that "Luke is deaf and communicates only to the one team that tries to communicate with him - and his mom" is the new "He has a soul now."

Wait, Luke is deaf? I guess that means Ben is Glory, too, huh?

This is probably a really obnoxious thing to say, but when Luke was complaining about wishing he could understand what the other teams were saying, I was thinking, uh, then maybe you should have learned to read lips, dude. I really don't know anything about the Deaf community other than that some deaf people feel very strongly they should learn to speak and to read lips, and some believe they shouldn't have to learn any form of communication beyond sign language. But if he's going to complain about not being able to communicate, well ...

I thought Victor was being bossy but Rachel is right, they never showed Tammy doing any kind of "told you so" at him -- and he redeemed himself a little by finding that key. Still, I don't want to make out with him quite as much as I did before. More from the crying on the mat and then denying anything was wrong. Own up to your feelings, dude! If you're going to be a crybaby, OWN IT!

I still think he's cute, though.

Sorry to see Brad and Victoria go. I was quite liking them.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby kelda_shelton on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:15 am

Loving the gymastics task and the detour tasks were ace (also loving that random Roma bike thing)

This was being filmed / or had been filmed while TAR 13 was still being shown right? Becasue otherwise Kris - did you learn nothing from the fannypack/taxi/Russia thing!?

Did anyone else think that Brad & Victoria were going to make up time & catch up? Because they showed them in the middle of the episode - normally they just forget about the ones really trailign andf then they pop back at the end and you're like - oh! forgot about them! - but this is probably the new editing again.

And also - I wondered why there was such a close up view of Jen in the interviews - was it to hide where she was or something?

Oh and can i just say IVE BEEN THERE!!!!!! I got so excited! Did you notice that the teams didn't start out exactly where they had the pit stop? Instead they were standing front of a glass gazebo?

Well its THIS gazebo from the Sound of Music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3DDXh9o ... re=related

And I have stood in exactly this spot while on the Sound of Music tour and had my photo taken there..

You can't actually get into the Gazeebo, our tour guide told us - and he swore it as the truth - because someone old woman tried to recreate the jumping from bench to bench and slipped and broke her back! :o
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby PhilG on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:41 am

Maybe I'd feel differently about Victor if I heard him say those three magic words: "I was wrong."

But even when he finally agreed to go down the hill he still managed to make it sound like it was his decision...and when he saw the real marked path, again no "I'm an idiot" or "You were right all along" or even a simple "I'm sorry."

Just because he didn't rant and rave doesn't mean he treated his partner any better than took place with some of the more infamous teams of the past--he's treating her like an appendage rather than a partner.

I prefer rooting for teams.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby njlady30 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:26 am

As soon as they said lets take the flight to Amsterdam and get a connection I turned to my son and said that is a big mistake!! You should always wait for the direct flight - especially since they were not saving that much time.

I kept laughing when victor was following those wrong arrows and his sister kept telling him that they were not the right ones. People like him think they never can be wrong. He was so lucky the other couple had the problems in Amsterdam.

And I loved the blood in the wood frames - thought it was a great effect!!
njlady30
at the start line

Postby M. Darcy on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:04 am

This is probably a really obnoxious thing to say, but when Luke was complaining about wishing he could understand what the other teams were saying, I was thinking, uh, then maybe you should have learned to read lips, dude.
I thought the same exact thing. Does anyone know - if you are born deaf, it is impossible to learn or just more difficult. And, they have never said why he doesn't read lips - if he can't or was there is reason he decided not to learn.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Kanuck on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:51 am

I recall reading, at some point, that even those who are "expert" lip-readers can often only definitively identify about half of the words spoken, and are guessing/extrapolating for the rest (because many sounds are made intra-orally, with no obvious change in lip movements, ditto for vocalized/non sounds - that is, for example, 'p' and 'b' are made with the lips in the same position, but one uses the vocal cords and the other doesn't). If other speakers have facial hair, are facing away, etc. the recognition rate is even lower.

I do agree that it was unwise for Brad and Victoria to take the risk of a connecting flight going in the opposite direction, with no other teams on that flight, for only a 20-minute time advantage. Once they saw that the first flight was delayed, they again should have bailed and switched, in my opinion.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby miri on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

And people have to be looking directly at you in order for you to lip read well. You don't realize how often you tend to turn your head away from someone when talking until you are trying to communicate with a lip-reader.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Rachel RSL on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:57 am

Just because he didn't rant and rave doesn't mean he treated his partner any better than took place with some of the more infamous teams of the past--he's treating her like an appendage rather than a partner.

I disagree. Both of them have openly acknowledged that they have an entire lifetime of older brother/baby sister dynamics that they need to work on. That kind of behavior (the older sibling being in charge, etc.) isn't something that will disappear overnight. Victor was wrong to not listen to Tammy but Tammy was wrong to not insist that he listen to her. I might have a problem with them if they were Bossy Boy & Wimpy Woman with no self-awareness but they're both aware of the situation and have acknowledged that it's something they both need to change. I appreciate the fact that they're at least trying, and not biting each other's head off in the process. (Yet.)
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby whereverthefk on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Plus, I got the impression from one of the comments that one of them made (can't remember when) that they're actually intentionally having Victor make all the decisions, in order to avoid wasting time arguing or debating. It's a flawed approach, because it assumes that Victor's always right, but I do get the logic in it.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby PhilG on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:00 pm

My sense of that was Tammy was ceding any say because she knew it was pointless to argue; Victor will never accept any opinion but his own.

Needless to say, your mileage may vary...I just see him as a bully, and her as beaten down by years of it.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby evening on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:59 pm

I was thinking about lip reading when he said that too... And, started to type it, then felt like a bitch because I already complained about the vignette.... I only know one deaf person, and she reads lips, but had a really rich father who sent her to great schools. The mother is really the amazing one in this duo.
evening
road blocked

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons