13.1 - Bees Are Much Calmer Than All This!

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Re: 13.1 - Bees Are Much Calmer Than All This!

Postby macaddict on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:45 am

This episode was an excellent argument for a two-hour season opener. The edit seemed especially rushed this year.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:47 am

I thought the first task (candy-pushing) was sort of ho-hum (back in MY day the first task was to run out in front of VICTORIA FREAKIN' FALLS and now they're pushing candy trolleys.) I liked the net but felt the "mystery question" was a bit too twisty for the Race. I guees they did it because climbing up ~35 steps doesn't take all that long, but it was weird.

I didn't like Andrew & Dan (superbad) as much as I thought I would, mostly due to the dark-haired guy being a little annoying. I thought the edit was telegraphing their demise, because often we spend more time with people who go out early since we don't see them for very long.

Ever notice that the teams with a cheating spouse seem to show the wife as being kind of a bitch, forcing you to think "Oh THAT'S why he cheated on her"? Last year it was Jen and last night all Tina ever did was snipe at Ken and he seemed sort of genial. The show seems pro-cheating husbands :)

I think I liked Aja and Ty better than I expected and I like Mark & Bill. So far Starr seemes cute without the snottiness than can come with it. I'm surprised by my like of that team as well. Terrence is creeping me out Peter-style.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby evening on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:40 am

Boring! I hate to say it, but I think TAR has finally jumped the shark.... Maybe because I stayed home all day yesterday watching the TAR 12 marathon on Travel Channel.... Maybe I'm just so sick of the opening drive to the airport/Park 1/LAX montage.

And Terrence reminds me of Peter! Free Sarah2

I'm just not loving any of these teams yet.
evening
road blocked

Postby djeber on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:05 am

Anyone else think that the woman at the airport counter looked a lot like Jane Krakowski?

Anyway, I think the luster on this show is finally wearing off for me. I found myself distracted through the whole first episode and only half paying attention. No team particularly stood out to me, and I didn't really get involved until the rope climb. I think part of the problem is that the staggered departures in the first episode means that there's little tension when watching the first group race, since you know that none of them are going to be last. What's more, they're all just racing to get spots for another staggered departure the next day, so the first half just isn't that exciting. But aside from that, maybe I've just seen it too many times before.
djeber
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby emjaytee on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:48 am

For some reason, I just love that first scramble to the airport. I can't say why. It's just all kinds of chaos and the teams realizing they're actually ON the Race that gets me. But then I'm a doofus.

My bowling night was last night and more than one person asked what I was doing there. But I ran home and watched the last 20 minutes, then started from the beginning. Phil looked great and as stated above, the extreme eyebrow was a fine welcome back.

I think the long hiatus helped me get excited again for its return.
emjaytee
TARfloozy

Postby lucinator on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:24 pm

evening wrote:Maybe I'm just so sick of the opening drive to the airport/Park 1/LAX montage.

Heh, it's harder than you think ... I've gotten lost twice trying to find the Park One lot at LAX!
lucinator
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess

Postby bluelena on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:01 pm

You'd think by now that once teams are cast they would immediately research where Park One is and how to get to it from all angles.
bluelena
TARfly

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 pm

emjaytee wrote:For some reason, I just love that first scramble to the airport. I can't say why. It's just all kinds of chaos and the teams realizing they're actually ON the Race that gets me.

Me too! I love that initial first few moments of chaos. I also enjoy how the teams that don't make the first flight always freak out even though it never ever affects anything in the end.

I think the long hiatus helped me get excited again for its return.

That's what I was saying too. It's been away just long enough that I'm happy to have it back.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons

Postby rockhpi on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:00 pm

For some reason, I just love that first scramble to the airport. I can't say why. It's just all kinds of chaos and the teams realizing they're actually ON the Race that gets me. But then I'm a doofus.

I'm a doofus right there with you - I love the tension in the air as Phil is reminding us of the rules.

I think part of the problem is that the staggered departures in the first episode means that there's little tension when watching the first group race, since you know that none of them are going to be last.

But last night the 9:00, 9:30, 9:45 signup times really negated the airport drama because it reduced the 3-hour lead of plane 1 to 45 minutes, max - more than enough time to screw up royally.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby OneAnne on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:07 pm

Last week I missed my Seattle/Denver/ BWI flight and got rebooked on a direct flight to Dulles. I was totally freaked out because 1) I've never done that before and 2) it was a business trip with four co-workers booked on the same flight. But even with the rush hour drive around the Beltway, I ended up getting to our facility outside of Baltimore three hours before the rest of the group and felt like I had won a leg of TAR... so I was totally pumped for the premiere last night.

I also enjoy the mad dash to the airport, when the teams realize yah, they are really doing it. My favorite team so far are the Geeks, Mark and Bill. I was turned off by Tina, but can see how she may have gotten a pretty harsh edit, so we'll have to see. Wasn't crazy about the tasks and in general I'm not crazy about having to rush from place to place just to get clues - I would have much rather have seen the Roadblock , and would have loved to have had a two hour premiere... a real two hour premiere, not just two episodes back-to-back like Survivor.
OneAnne
bunched

Postby Mister_Mojo on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:12 pm

Is it just me or is there something just a tad creepy about the Toni and Dallas/ Mom and Son team? First there was the "i'd pimp him out" comment in the earlier video, then she is constantly calling him "baby" , kissing him on the cheek etc. I'm not prepared to dub them Team Oedipus yet but something to keep an eye on..

One of my favorite things is how every Amazing race some of the teams will try to equate some type of completley unrelated life experience into why they should win the race. ..i.e. "I was a mom of 3 so this will be a snap!" This weeks winners were Kelly and Christy who had been through "ugly divorces" therefore were destined to win.."huh?" How does an ugly court case and abusive(?) ex husband make you more likely to win? Unless your prior experience is something like "i used to be a travel writer for lonely planet" I don't see much prior life experience really helps on this show.

Also, I wanted just one person on the show to point out that they speak Portugese in Brasil and not Spanish. Especially when Tina was bitching to Ken that his Spanish wasn't helping here, I really wanted to him to be like "well because they don't speak spanish here okay?".

Terence and Sarah seem nuts which is good..some of the most entertainment from TAR has been when you get a few episodes in and a crazy couple is tired, hungry and stressed and starts flipping out. I will keep my fingers crossed for these two.
Mister_Mojo
the world is waiting

Postby miri on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Mister_Mojo wrote:Also, I wanted just one person on the show to point out that they speak Portugese in Brasil and not Spanish. Especially when Tina was bitching to Ken that his Spanish wasn't helping here, I really wanted to him to be like "well because they don't speak spanish here okay?".

I think some people were saying "obrigado" instead of "gracias" - so maybe they had a clue. I can't remember who it was, though.

And I'm with you on the "we are X so the race will be a breeze" bits. They usually make no sense whatsoever.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:40 pm

Speak for yourselves! I'm a lazy, out of shape, couch potato internet geek which means I would totally have an advantage when it comes to winning TAR!
Rachel RSL

Postby miri on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Well that's different. Couch potato internet geeks always have an advantage at everything!
miri

Postby timothytim on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:19 am

rockhpi wrote:The show seems pro-cheating husbands :)

Nope, that's just patriarchy!

Not a very stunning episode, in my opinion. I agree with all those who lament the loss of the 2-hour (or even 90 minute) premieres - TAR12 did alright on the 1-hour premiere, but generally, it's been choppy and borderline confusing - I don't think we saw even a second of footage of some of the teams driving to LAX, then they magically appear in the car park. Annoying.

I wished there was another small task between the military camp and pit stop to spread the teams out; just SOMETHING that required more ability than catching taxis and climbing down a cargo net.

The teams didn't really wow me - I felt like so many of them were incarnations of past teams, and none came across as really likable. Sure, several were pleasant; Mark and Bill, Aja and Ty, Kelly and Christy, but most seemed kind of bland or just not really likable.

I'll keep watching, but I haven't got my hopes as high as last season. Maybe it's because TAR Asia is having a good season and I got my expectations up.
timothytim
eating, sleeping & mingling

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons