12.2 - I've Become The Archie Bunker of the Home

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

12.2 - I've Become The Archie Bunker of the Home

Postby Rachel RSL on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:51 pm

Discuss
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby KenF on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:57 pm

Ron did not acquit himself well in this. This is the hard driving Asian father that I know all too well. This episode hit a bit too close to home for me. However, he did seem to ease off a bit.

Good episode. The Hoist It Detour had a lot of Girl Power.
KenF
taking a detour

Postby beats on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:16 pm

Much better than last week. The blondes aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, but I still don't really care for them. But Lorena's the one who just annoys the crap out of me. At least it looks like we're in for a good meltdown next week.
beats
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby vinzanity on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:24 pm

A much more entertaining episode than the first, I must say.

Anyone find it ironic how in the first episode, Christina told her dad "You would never disappoint me!" and then on this leg, Ron told her that "you are disappointing me". Aah, that was brilliant. Always been a fan of airport drama, and in this episode, it was no exception. I honestly didn't think Nicolas and Donald were being overly aggressive when it came to talking to the person who was trying to get them tickets. I've been following this race forever and I've seen teams do much worse. Switching topics for a second now, i thought the siblings (Azaria and Hendekea) would receive a time penalty for not paying their train fee until after the train ride. They just hopped on the train and they were fortunate that didn't end up biting them in the ass. The detour was aight, although i must admit finding the bike wouldn't be too long considering you know exactly where the sticker is... so it was only a matter of trying to find the place that proved to be challenging. The roadblock was a little pointless, especially after watching Jason just zoom right through it in what looked like less than 5 minutes. That had to be the fastest roadblock completed ever in the history of The Amazing Race. Props to Marianna for also completing that obstacle rather easily.

All in all, a very entertaining episode tonight, but it's only a matter of time before Ron and Christina gets philiminated. As for the preview for next episode, all i have to say is "what is up with all these challenges involving animals?" First, it was the donkeys and now it's the goats. I'm not particularly digging this, but the Amazing Race didn't win 5 consecutive Emmys for nothing... so i'll let it go.
Last edited by vinzanity on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vinzanity

Postby Northwoods101 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:25 pm

Sad that the ministers are gone already. After their comment " we have no illusions that god cares weather we win the Amazing Race" was the best line and makes me want to attend their church! Ron going off on the kid airline pilot was way out of line, especially with the way he treats his daughter. Kynt sticking out of the blog was a LOL moment for me.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby WalterC on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:29 pm

You're not alone there, Ken. The episode did the same for me, having grown up with an Asian father myself.

Sad to see Kate & Pat go, but I was not surprised. They just seemed too slow, and I think what cost them, was getting easily distracted by Ronald's yapping at Christina.

I also thought it was a bit odd that Keoghan shortened some people's names, like Jen & Nate, or Ron & Chris.

Kudos for Shana on the Detour.
WalterC
bunched

Postby Kergillian on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:50 pm

After watching Donald jump the ditch, and Ron be such a useless curmudgeon for the entire episode, now I understand why Christina spoke of "spending the time together" as if her father was on death's door.

Ron is old. Maybe not chronologically, but he's old-old. Older than Donald. Older than anyone else on this race or any other. If he can't concentrate on what's happening in front of him and how to get through it (Oh, we can't hoist stuff! Oh, we can't do the bikes! What? You're telling me we're doing the bikes? You're so indecisive! I'm looking where you're looking, why aren't you looking elsewhere?), then... it's time to have someone else look after your affairs.

Now, yes, after the ditch jumping, we now know for a fact that Donald is a dirty old man, but... damn, he's a spring chicken compared to Ron.
Kergillian

Postby KenF on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:52 pm

We did see clues that Ronald was a hothead in the Innertube videos when he got impatient with Kate & Pat in Ireland. If you have yet to see it, I won't spoil it for you, but suffice to say he's quite impatient.

I do hope he gets better, but he seems to know that communication is a problem between he and his daughter.
KenF
taking a detour

Postby Abiz on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11 pm

vinzanity wrote:all i have to say is "what is up with all these challenges involving animals?" First, it was the donkeys and now it's the goats.

I'm a botanist rather than a zoologist... but I think those were camels in the preview. :)

Personally, the more misbehaving animals, the better. And camels, llamas, alpacas and yaks are my favorite!
Abiz
taking a detour

Postby PatentlyTAR on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:15 pm

I thought it was a great episode. My kids loved the mud, particularly the several times when people jumped onto the pole and went right down.

I was surprised that anyone chose the bikes, except maybe the minister couple, because lifting the furniture did not seem that difficult (if you could tie a knot).
PatentlyTAR
yielded

Postby vinzanity on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:19 pm

Abiz wrote:
vinzanity wrote:all i have to say is "what is up with all these challenges involving animals?" First, it was the donkeys and now it's the goats.

I'm a botanist rather than a zoologist... but I think those were camels in the preview. :)

Personally, the more misbehaving animals, the better. And camels, llamas, alpacas and yaks are my favorite!

My bad, camels it is. I just assumed they were goats, haha.
vinzanity

Postby camnjmom on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:49 am

Ron seems to think he is the moral compass of everyone on the race. He lectured Ari last week about stealing the cab and now, he is lecturing Nicolas about how he speaks to airport personnel. How did everyone's actions become his business?
camnjmom
yielded

Postby heinlein on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:42 am

vinzanity wrote:Switching topics for a second now, i thought the siblings (Azaria and Hendekea) would receive a time penalty for not paying their train fee until after the train ride. They just hopped on the train and they were fortunate that didn't end up biting them in the ass.

According to NS:

You cannot buy a ticket on the train
A fine of 35 euro is added to the fare if you do not have a valid ticket on boarding the train.
We advise you to buy a ticket before boarding.

If they actually travelled free, then they should have gotten some punishment (and it is possible that they got one but it wasn't shown). The ticket seems to cost €3.60 per person, so the fine would make it quite a costly journey.

Generally good episode, but Shut UP Ron!
heinlein
yielded

Postby banredbeans on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:52 am

I take the train into NYC from CT and the same applies. If you have to buy your ticket on the train you just pay a lot more and in cash.
banredbeans
amazing racer

Postby rockhpi on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:52 am

I was a little disappointed when I saw the ditch-jumping at first, when the first guy got across so easily (I'm still learning names and a LOT of the Racers blend together for me). But once people started falling in, the 4-year-old in me clapped and went "Wheeeee!"

I'm not sure I have a team to root for, now that Ronald has been revealed as a jerk.

I'm not religious, but the ministers have all my respect for admitting god doesn't care if they win the Race. Hear that, Weavers?

Good episode, but we need a lot more in the natural-wonder vein, lest this season end up like All-Stars and spend all its time in cities and back rooms and pits. I hate to repeat myself, but I just watched season one again and when they retrieved that clue from in front of the enormous waterfall...WOW! We've been sorely in need of that stuff in the last few races.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Next

Return to Past Seasons