TAR 8-2: How Do We Know We Aren't Going to Get Shot?

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

Postby The Australian on Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:35 am

Well, yet again it would seem that I am out of step with majority TARfly opinion. I actually thought this was one of the best episodes of the show in a long time...certainly the best since the second episode of TAR7. Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective - far from being boring, they really did do a great job with the locations and tasks here. Although it may be confined to the eastern seaboard of the US at the moment, we still had the gamut of TAR trademarks from the bizarre (the shoe house), the recognisable landmarks (Capitol), history (Civil War re-enactment) to an actual tough Detour choice and a superb Roadblock which showed that the show can still come up with something original. Though why it took place at the Tidal Basin in brilliant sunshine and not in an underground car park, I don't know.

One aspect of this season I am really enjoying is the constant shuffling of position due to such things as navigational problems, task performance and plain luck. After becoming annoyed at the seemingly endless procession of Romber/Ron & Kelly doubles all through last season, it's incredibly refreshing to never quite know where the teams are going to end up until almost the last minute. There really isn't a lot separating the teams and one wrong move can be fatal.

I was thinking to myself after last week that Ian from TAR3 had finally found a worthy successor in Denny Rogers. It seems I was right! What a disgraceful way to treat your own son, especially considering that it was all your fault on just about every single occasion your team stuffed up. I felt especially sorry for Brock when Denny ordered them to change Detours - he pretty much knew they'd lost right there and then. And I'm not sure how badly injured Renee really was after what looked like a pretty innocuous fall, but her total non-performance on the Detour (and indeed the race itself) was really quite pathetic. One especially good thing about their elimination is that I don't have to put up with Britney anymore.

I still like all the other teams (yes, including the Paolos). The Weavers and Godlewskis had good legs, the Gaghans showed that while they certainly are fit they don't seem to have that much brainpower (Two hours at the wrong Reflecting Pool? You really think Billy and Carissa can carry a casualty on a stretcher???), the Aiellos and Bransens look to be having a battle between Tony and Wally as to who collapses first, the Linz siblings bought a street directory which paid dividends, and the antics of Mark Schroeder continue to be something a guilty pleasure. I'm one of those people who certainly thinks harsh things to myself - he obviously verbalises them, and this time around it's on national television.

Then there's the Paolos. I cannot hate them no matter how much they make me want to sometimes. DJ and Brian are obviously cut from the type of cloth that makes you think you're always smarter than your parents, particularly when the parents state the blinding obvious over and over again and needle you constantly. I've certainly been there at times, and though I'm not exactly proud of admitting it, I can empathise with DJ's frustration to a certain point. One thing that I did enjoy this week was Tony finally finding some voice at the end and giving some of his own back and berating his exhausted sons on the way to the mat. I do think they are this seasons "story team" (refer Nancy & Emily, Mary & Peach, Ian & Teri, Kelly & Jon, Linda & Karen, Adam & Rebecca and Meredith & Gretchen), so I hope they continue on for a little while yet.
The Australian
bunched

Postby EnricoV on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:25 am

And I'm not sure how badly injured Renee really was after what looked like a pretty innocuous fall, but her total non-performance on the Detour (and indeed the race itself) was really quite pathetic. One especially good thing about their elimination is that I don't have to put up with Britney anymore.

Actually, on the morning show after their elimination, she said she left the pit stop in an ambulance. She said it didn't really show, but the injury was pretty bad. I think it was a concussion. And Dad did do a pretty good job of fessing up that it as all his fault they were eliminated.

They also said they were at least 20 minutes behind the Paolos, that there wasn't really a race. They knew they were last.
EnricoV
bunched

Postby Loraxe on Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:31 pm

skydiving, bungee jumping

This might be why I am not finding this season boring. I have been bored since about season 3 with these height related kinds of tasks because they do them too often and what kind of new twist can you put on watching people wait in line to put on helmuts and gear? I much prefer tasks that have some kind of storyline to them, like this week.
Loraxe
fast forwarding

Postby pacwoman28 on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:27 pm

While the Paolos are not the nicest family, I think I can stand them more than the Schroeders. That man has the class of an ant. The Paolos may yell at each other, but we have yet to see them degrade another team or anyone else they came in contact with. Meanwhile Daddy Schroeder will knock down anyone in his way. And that goes for Mr Rogers also. I would be proud to have a teenage son like Brock. Mr. R you don't know how lucky you are!! I still love the pink girls (must be my Polish heritage)& hope they can continue to stay thick in the pack.
pacwoman28
bunched

Postby Mallonman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:57 pm

I'm not quite convinced that this run is going to suck. In fact, EVERY run of the race has been a bit boring for the first few episodes, while we sort out who we like and dislike, and start to wheedle down the competitors. This allows us to associate with specific teams that get more air time each successive episode. I feel certain that by the time we see about six teams left, the action will increase, the editing will get tighter, and Phil will have to make room on his mantle for another Emmy.
Mallonman
the world is waiting

Personals

Postby Mallonman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:02 pm

Wanted:
Map reader for long distance race. Must know classic rock songs "I'm a Man," and "Natural Man." Ask for Papa Rogers, TAR 8.
Mallonman
the world is waiting

Postby cutecouple on Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:57 pm

Finally watched this after a few weather related delays. Not bad, not great, but it doesn't suck. Had to drag myself to watch though - none of the families are really compelling enough to make me want to watch yet.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby MacMadame on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:39 am

EnricoV wrote:Dad did do a pretty good job of fessing up that it as all his fault they were eliminated.

All the "apologies" I've seen him make are of the "Yes, but..." variety. I haven't been impressed.
MacMadame
TARfly

How to not make an apology..

Postby genghisKhan on Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:17 pm

I agree with MacMadame as to Papa Rogers' yes-but apologies, including the new one in their TV guide interview. In that one, the reason for his mistake was that he wears bifocals.

And then he goes on (again) that he tries to reach his kids to take full responsiblity for what they do. Well, Papa, it begins with you and so far you're a lousy role model. Just listen to yourself a bit more closely and you'll see what folks are talking about (if you're lucky).

Here's a clue: If you're going to accept responsiblity, then no yes-buts (Jonathan are you listening?). You'd think some of these bozos would at least realize they're on camera and chose their words more carefully.
genghisKhan
at the start line

Postby kelda_shelton on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:04 am

Okay - I know - I am very behind the times but I have just finsihed downloading season 8 from Bit Torrent to see what all the fuss/non fuss was about.I've watched the first two episodes (where is the episode 1 discussion thread btw?)

And maybe its a non american thing - but like The Australian,

Well, yet again it would seem that I am out of step with majority TARfly opinion. I actually thought this was one of the best episodes of the show in a long time...certainly the best since the second episode of TAR7. Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective - far from being boring, they really did do a great job with the locations and tasks here.

I'm really enjoying this so far.

But then I haven't seen a lot of America and don't know huge amounts about American history so maybe thats why. Although the places I have seen in the USA are NY (I walked along thatpark to get to that fancy chocolate shop, so was all excited that i had been to exactly the place a TAR had been to)and DC.

Some of the kids are whiny or over excited - but they are kids - you expect them to be! But I'm sorry - what family would not want to do an adventure like this, even if it WAS only in American soil most of the time. Its also interetsing tosee the dynamics of a 4 person team too.

Definitely the cemaraderie is nice to se - was lovely of the father and son in law team when they helped everyone with their tent.

A different race but still a good race IMO.
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby leew261 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:42 am

The thread for the first episode is here.

I can see how the locations on TAR8 would seem more exotic to a non-North American. I'm sure if an entire race were run in Australia it would seem more exotic to us and more boring to you.
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby kelda_shelton on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:56 am

leew261 wrote:The thread for the first episode is here.

I can see how the locations on TAR8 would seem more exotic to a non-North American. I'm sure if an entire race were run in Australia it would seem more exotic to us and more boring to you.

Thanks for that.

Yes - perhaps thats true - exotic/boring but then when they were in Aberdeen in TAR 3(I'm Scottish rather than an Ozzie), I would never have done any of the things they did - so in that sense - you're still seeing a unusual task - just in a more familiar setting..

But of course like anyone - 12 episodes of familiarity might get boring after the initial excitement of oooh! I've been there has worn off - but I'm liking it so far. The tasks I wouldn't say are any easier than other tasks that have been completed in TAR. Just different.
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby leew261 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:15 am

Sorry, I thought that you had said you were Australian at one point. I hope you didn't feel insulted that I called you that. (I kid because I love, Ozzies.)
leew261
TARfloozy

Postby kelda_shelton on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:11 am

hee hee.. not at all - us Scots are just a cheery and just as good beer drinkers as our Ozzie counterparts!! (we just don't have the nice weather!)

;)
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby Rachel RSL on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:04 am

Also, if it's not Scottish, it's CRRRRRRRRAP!
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

PreviousNext

Return to Past Seasons