16.9 - Dumb Did Us In

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

16.9 - Dumb Did Us In

Postby Kanuck on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Discuss.

Personally, I'd suggest the title should be "we did ourselves in" but that would require a level of self-awareness that those two do not possess.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Re: 16.9 - Dumb Did Us In

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:23 pm

I completely agree, Kanuck. As mentioned, it's no fun to get U-Turned, but it's not Brent/Caite's fault that Carol/Brandy couldn't get to the U-Turn first. Or that they didn't go for the Fast Forward, which could have made the U-Turn moot.

As far as the U-Turn went and whether it really was dumb of the models to use the U-Turn? I think it could go both ways. I think using the U-Turn on Jet/Cord would have been a better plan, as opposed to using it due to dislike (or because Mike/Louie said so). They're a huge threat and were at the same detour as the two rivals. OTOH, I think Brent/Caite targeting Carol/Brandy was fair enough, because a U-Turn on the Cowboys may not have been enough to eliminate them. Since the Cowboys went from last to first (with a Speed Bump, a TAR first) they might have done both and been able to make up enough time to sneak past someone.

All grudges aside, by U-Turning Carol/Brandy, an average team at best, it's better because they were present at the detour, and would more than likely get knocked out due to having to perform both tasks. Plus, they were so pissed, and that probably contributed to their downfall. Then there's Dan/Jordan & Louie/Michael, where by U-Turning those two would have been risky, as one of them could have performed the FF (and did).
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby rockhpi on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:44 pm

I have seen far dumber U-Turn/Yield decisions. It was only "dumb" to Carol and Brandy because it was against them. I frankly thought neither side of the conflict came off too well and it was given much more airtime than it deserved. Good episode but I don't usually care for first-in/first-out tasks like the Megazip where there's no chance to do better or worse than other teams.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:46 am

Carol and Brandy can't have it both ways. In the beginning of the leg they are talking about how they are going to come in first, and that would make them a threat. All of a sudden at the end, they are no threat, and don't deserved to be U-turned, due to their non-threat status. In my opinion, they reaped what they sowed.
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby Loraxe on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:42 am

I admit that even though I like Caite, I have wondered if she was overstating the case a bit. Now we know she wasn't. Sour Grapes or not, they sure had all those bitchy things to say about the models right on the tip of their tongues didn't they? Maybe one of the best eliminations ever for me. I found myself praying it wasn't non-elim, they way you hope your favourite team will be saved. I hope they were truly ashamed watching this tonight, but they don't seem to be that self-aware.

The cowboys were awesome as usual, but tonight the teams overshadowed the destination for the first time this season and I didn't enjoy it as much. I love how they stuck the zipline in their just because it was awesome.

Oh and go brothers, who the other teams seem to keep forgetting about.
Loraxe
fast forwarding

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:03 am

Awesome. I am so glad that Carol and Brandy are off my tv screen. Did they not realize how bitchy they were coming off?
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:36 am

the title of this ep had me so on edge! I was trying to figure it out the entire episode. I was so hoping that it wasn't a quote from the Cowboys about picking the drum task! phew!

Loved them doing the CMA spot last night! How cute where they?

And I loooved that Zipline task.

I was really surprised the teams stuck with the drum challenge - I think Carol/Brandy said they had been there over an hour? Normally the selling tasks can be done so quickly! Especiall with the cameras that follow. Hey if Terri and Ian can do nails - how hard could ice cream could have been?

thank you Caite and Brent for getting Carol/Brandy off my screen. Too bad they won't be sent to Sequesterville so that Joe could have someone to complain with about the UTurn.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:45 am

Can we discuss the nastiness of those ice cream sandwiches?
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby OneAnne on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:08 am

U-Turn is part of the game and it worked, so how dumb is it? And The Girls certainly showed us their true colors... not only in the ugly things they said after being eliminated but in the ugly way they turned on each other as soon as things got rough.

The Models are my least favorite team left, so I'd love to see them go next week and then the final three would be pretty good, with The Cowboys being my favorites and The Brothers being second.

And that Zipline was awsome!
OneAnne
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:10 am

Another note: I forget which is Dan and which is Jordan, but: He was scared to DEATH but he still did it. And that was 10 times scarier than a water slide.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby macaddict on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:11 am

Rachel RSL wrote:Can we discuss the nastiness of those ice cream sandwiches?
They were pretty nasty. And that was before Carol and Brandy dropped the cutter in the trash and then just re-used it.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby PhilG on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:18 am

Aw cmon...they dipped it in the water first. What more could you ask?
PhilG
road blocked

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:37 am

Can we discuss the nastiness of those ice cream sandwiches?
When they first showed them, I thought it was a stick of butter between two pieces of bread.

I hope the cops gave their driver a really big tip since he bought 10 sandwiches from them.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby lowbrow on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 am

My favorite quote of the episode "What happens if I fart" from one of the cops before climbing into the upper bunk on the train.

I felt like the zip line task was added to make the leg longer to ensure that the people taking the fast forward actually finished first. The task itself wasn't long but I think they had to drive from one side of the city and back to get to the pit stop.

If I ever go on the race I am SOOO bringing a counter.
lowbrow
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Tea-time on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:41 am

lowbrow wrote:If I ever go on the race I am SOOO bringing a counter.

It did seem an unlikely thing to bring, but there's a counting task every few seasons, so it was a reasonable guess. Although none of the teams appeared to have any trouble with counting, which I expected given the extra background noises.

And I thought both teams involved with the U-turn came off badly. Caite is a whiny brat who needs to accept that not everyone is going to like her, and Carol&Brandy's reaction justified the dislike from other teams. Although it was interesting to see Dan&Jordan's reaction to hearing the discussion on the bus. I think they were both surprised at the target, and glad it wasn't them. But in terms of game play, U-turning one of the all-male teams would have been smarter because they're more of a threat.
Tea-time
road blocked

Next

Return to Past Seasons