16.5 - I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

16.5 - I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?

Postby buckybacker on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:12 pm

I couldn't wait.

How dumb do some of these people come off as? Double Elimination would be so nice sometimes. I can't even describe how annoyed I feel watching the models and Big Brother.

U-turning Joe & Heidi was, while not the smartest move, definitely understandable. Not to mention it was fun to see the little bit of glee in the Detectives' eyes. But man, can you say suck? I can't imagine sitting there trying to do the Morse code. But man, never talk smack unless you're being interviewed with no one else around.

Carol and Brandy complaining about, "this isn't what I signed up for?" I realize it's in the moment so I don't entirely fault them, but WTF? What did you sign up for? Unrolling hay bales for 8 hours?

Loved the WWI detour; loved the Tour de France shout out.
buckybacker
bunched

Re: 16.5 - I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?

Postby macaddict on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Best. Episode. Ever.

So many quotes that could have been the title:

"They're up in some sort of flying things!"

"????"

I don't agree with the choice of target, but it was refreshing to see someone use a legitimate game play move and not be consumed with guilt over it.

Loved Dan's exasperation at Jordan's running commentary on the battlefield. Loved the funny bicycle outfits -- complete with moustaches! Loved the cowboys' determination and how much fun they seem to be having. Hate whiny Carole and Brandy. Surprised that Jordan and Jeff weren't eliminated in spite of running one of the worst legs ever.

And now I'm hungry for a bag-you-ette.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby M. Darcy on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:09 pm

What's that? A type of pastry?
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby rockhpi on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:00 pm

I thought it was cool that the bus ride was BEFORE the start. I love airplanes so I would have just sat there watching them fly by. I kind of didn't understand why Joe & Heidi could get "Vive Le" but nothing else. Eventually you'd think you'd get it since it played over and over.

I was very critical of the U-turn choice, since it's normally not good strategy to get the people right behind you when the last place team is 3 hours back. But who knew it'd actually knock them out? I thought the tasks were great but it really seemed like there should have been one more stop in there, a roadblock or something.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Kanuck on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:32 pm

I wonder if there was a roadblock that was edited out?

The whinier of the lesbians (the dark haired one) disgusts me with the constant "I didn't sign up for this" crap. Has she ever seen the Race, or was she pulled out of some TV-less hermitage by casting?!? If you don't want to be on the Race, stay home in your little air conditioned palace and give someone who'll appreciate the experience. Hate.

The models are a bit dumb, but at least they seemed to be enjoying the experience this leg, which I'd rather see than the constant whining.

Speaking of dumb, the whole collection of Racers really aren't a good testament to the US educational system, with the various WW2/Nazi/otherwise confused quotes. At least one team referred to the biplane as the Red Baron so had some clue (even if that clue came from Snoopy/Peanuts).

And now I am hungry for a baguette.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby rockhpi on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:41 pm

The models are a bit dumb, but at least they seemed to be enjoying the experience this leg, which I'd rather see than the constant whining.

I am not a huge Caitie fan but I had to give her credit for a great attitude even after being de-nied by Phil at the mat.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Babalu on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:45 am

I think I fell a little bit in love with (boy) Jordan: "I'm having so much fun right now!" "Go to la Pit Stop - it didn't really say 'la,' I just added that." It's such a pleasure to see someone having such a good time. (As opposed to that harridan Brandy, who hasn't enjoyed one single thing yet, as far as I can remember.)

Fell a little bit out of love with Jeff and Jordan - at least Jeff. He really wasn't very nice to her this week.

And WHAT was Brent talking about with the whole "south or the direction south" thing? I'd say that he and Caite are well suited for each other, except that I read they've already broken up.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby rover on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:27 am

Babalu wrote: And WHAT was Brent talking about with the whole "south or the direction south" thing? I'd say that he and Caite are well suited for each other, except that I read they've already broken up.

I really didn't think he could say something stupider than "look, they're in some sort of flying thing!", but I guess I was wrong. Caite probably likes how smart she feels when she's with him.
rover
yielded

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 am

I loved having the U-Turn with the speed bump!

Did anyone else notice that Jordan & Jeff weren't together when they were doing the race commentary? Although it seems that Jordan has already checked out of the race.

And Carole/Brandy - WTF did you think you signed up for? I don't think I've ever seen a mani/pedi road block on TAR. But I could be mistaken. Maybe they signed up for TAR in hopes of going to sequesterville early?
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:29 am

A good episode with nice twists and nice landscapes, and a sad but touching last stand of Joe & Heidi, one of the most respectable racers for me, in drive and attitude at the very least. And it looks like the last stand, with smoke, trenches, battlefield, aftermath and everything. A nice dramatic touch from TAR which I appreciated.

Ugly is the "mean lesbians" and their snippiness but I enjoyed watching them in the dirt where they need to be!

Funny is J&J (despite the frustration of watching Jordan struggle) and Jeff's antics - especially the putting-the-rifle-point-in-mouth part, heh. He may be a bit harsh sometimes, but it's not that bad.

Can't wait to see the models implode next episode, especially Brent. Surprisingly Caite doesn't seem as much a airhead as the guy.
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Tea-time on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 am

AndreaInNC wrote:IAnd Carole/Brandy - WTF did you think you signed up for? I don't think I've ever seen a mani/pedi road block on TAR. But I could be mistaken. Maybe they signed up for TAR in hopes of going to sequesterville early?

Well, there was that "foot massage" roadblock (two races ago, I think), but as it had everyone gasping in pain, I doubt she'd have enjoyed that either. As much as I'd like to see an all-woman team win TAR, I'll be happy when these two get Philiminated.

Also, I was surprised when I heard what the Morse code message was - it was much longer than any of Joe&Heidi's guesses. Having a different message than the other Detour choice made sense, but it was so much longer that I don't think anyone without experience in listening to Morse code could have gotten it. I was a bit disappointed that Joe&Heidi seemed to just give up after Jeff&Jordan passed them.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:58 am

I laughed when Jordan was stuck on the roundabout and Jeff quoted "European Vacation"..."Big Ben! Parliament!"
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby OneAnne on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:18 am

I loved the WWI tasks and the old-school Tour de France outfits, but I didn't like having the non-elimination leg right before a leg that offered so little opportunity to catch up. I have a sister-in-law who suffers from acute-inertia, so Jordan's lack of focus and forward movement was more annoying to me than Jeff''s prodding, but I imagine KF is really kicking in at this point. I also didn't agree with Detouring the team right behind you, but did like that they were straight up about it being part of the game. It was quite sad to see Joe and Heidi fail at the morse code... J/J were so far behind everyone else they weren't even out of the pit stop for the first third of the episode, so J/H had to have been struggling for quite a while.
OneAnne
bunched

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:26 am

OneAnne wrote: but I didn't like having the non-elimination leg right before a leg that offered so little opportunity to catch up.

which is why I loved the U-Turn. Without it - J&J would have been out for sure.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:31 am

[quote="Tea-timeWell, there was that "foot massage" roadblock (two races ago, I think), but as it had everyone gasping in pain, I doubt she'd have enjoyed that either. As much as I'd like to see an all-woman team win TAR, I'll be happy when these two get Philiminated.[/quote]

you are so right .. but ITA that she would have bitched about that too.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Next

Return to Past Seasons