15.5 - Do it for the hood! Do it for the suburbs!

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

15.5 - Do it for the hood! Do it for the suburbs!

Postby Rachel RSL on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Finally an episode that felt like Old Skool Race! Tough challenges, cool scenery, awesome freakouts! And a team that I won't miss at all was Philiminated! Also, Phil in a cute hat!
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons

Re: 15.5 - Do it for the hood! Do it for the suburbs!

Postby rockhpi on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:12 pm

I agree-a much better episode than last week, if only for the tougher challenges. I expected to hate Canaan after seeing the preview of him grabbing Mika but after seeing the whole episode I have to say I've never seen an adult act more like a 6-year-old child on television. And I'm sure 6-year-olds have gone down that slide with far less fuss. I honestly would rate that fit as worse than anything Flo ever did. I don't think I could see my significant other act like that and be able to imagine a future with her. And my girlfriend has an intense fear of heights but she'd do it - she'd cry all the way down but she would not scream out "Help me! You can't make me!" Appalling. I don't hold anything against Big Easy either(even if I thought she would have done it if not for his comments-and I don't). A sad display.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby PhilG on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:14 pm

I agree--she wasn't going down that chute if she'd stayed up there all night.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Rachel RSL on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:27 pm

I agree, that was a freakout of Flo proportions. But it specifically reminded me of that time Flo freaked out when they had to rappel (sp?) off the cliff. You could see that she was genuinely terrified. That's what Mika reminded me of in tonight's episode. She was acting like a little kid but she seemed genuinely terrified. When he tried to push her down the slide and she screamed for the security dude to help her, that was genuine fear in her voice. It was just a waterslide but it was a big ass waterslide that was basically straight down. I can't help but think that if he hadn't been so assy and had been more supportive, it would have gone differently. Once he tried to physically force her down the slide, she was terrified every time he came near her.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I actually like every team left in the Race. Even the poker girls have grown on me. I still miss Zev and Justin though.
Rachel RSL

Postby rockhpi on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:47 pm

I don't doubt that she was afraid, especially at the grabbing moment but...I just have a hard time having sympathy. As they showed in the montage, she's apparently afraid of everything. And it did appear after "the incident" that he was trying to not freak out on her and persuade rather than bully. I think it was just that when it came down to brass tacks, she reverted to little-child-speak in a way that was so repugnant to me that it overwhelmed any sympathy I had for her fear. When he was manhandling her (which was wrong), it seemed like fear. When she was sitting there playing in the water and refusing to go it seemed to me that she was pouting. How many people have we seen over the years do things far more terrifying than a waterslide and still grin at the end? I remember Oswald screaming for Danny at that enormous bungee jump over a friggin' chasm. He was incredibly afraid -he looked green watching others go- but he leapt. It's a little bit like when someone quits on Survivor..you just think "If you were not up for this, why did you waste a slot?" Only they are starved and exposed to the elements for days on end and she had to go on a waterslide for all of 10 seconds.
/rant off

And as much as I like Ericka, she really let Brian do just about everything in that episode. Maybe KF is taking hold of her in this leg.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:50 am

I have seen a waterslide just like that at DisneyWorld and there is probably no way I would have wanted to go down it either. Loved the waterwings!

How could you not ask for a calculator if you tried to do the gold task? You know the store had one!

Loved the brothers Baywatch moment.

And once again a team has acknowledged that this is a game! I don't hold anything against the Globetrotters for taunting Mika - it's not like they tried to push her down the slide or anything!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:44 am

Heh, and that was pretty lameass taunting. That's one of the problems with going on the race with someone you just started dating. If someone gets that hysterical, you probably don't know them well enough to know how to calm them down.

I hate heights and I kind of want to go down that waterslide. There were even sharks.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:45 am

after watching Elimination Station .. they were at the top of the waterslide for 45 minutes. What's even more disturbing is that when he is explaining that he tried to push her down and then tried to pry her hands off the pole - that alot of the guys are laughing while the women are gasping in disbelief.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:59 am

I wonder if they could have slid down together - and if that would have made her less scared. I thought that they were going to try that at one point.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:30 am

M. Darcy wrote:I wonder if they could have slid down together - and if that would have made her less scared. I thought that they were going to try that at one point.

For safety reasons - they wouldn't have let them.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:33 am

OMG, omg, I can't believe she didn't go down the chute!! I don't know whether to pity Canaan (because they lost because of her, and because he's sooo good to forgive) or her (because she didn't try and she let him down), or both (because they couldn't get it together when it matters - like Cheyne and girlfriend). But this is what I like about this episode, it's a RACE!!

Desperation can be fascinating to watch, particularly when you managed to pull through.But the Globetrotters were real lucky, just like the Poker Girls when Zev and Justin got booted out due to dumb luck.

The Poker Girls showed some solid game and being "good with numbers" really works for them and they came through without even losing their playfulness, which I like. Their 'alliance' with Sam and Dan is cute but worrying because no way it can be that cute all the time! I had to admit that Brian and Ericka is quite fun to watch, despite Ericka's diva-ness and Brian's willingness to do everything. But they do work well together - so far - and their humorous nature is much nicer to watch than Meghan and Cheyne (both of whom are actually quite similar to Brian and Ericka than you think - witness Meghan's control-freakiness). Cheyne's "do you love me" and kissy-filly thingy are a tad too nauseating for me, although that stunt at the end with Meghan before coming back to Phil with his "okay, what did we win" was funny. The last of that, I hope!
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:42 am

I thought that stunt was annoying. Let Phil do his job before you go frolic in the water. I was really hoping Phil would say: "Nothing." and then skip off into the water himself.
Rachel RSL

Postby sympatico73 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:52 am

Rachel RSL wrote:I was really hoping Phil would say: "Nothing." and then skip off into the water himself.

Heh.
sympatico73
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby njlady30 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:32 am

How stupid was that Mika for even going on the show? Every race has water stunts and something from heights - if you are scared of both why bother going on the show?? I was rooting for the globetrotters!!
njlady30
at the start line

Postby PhilG on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:41 am

OK so which is the more gut-wrenching loss--last night's or the sisters last season stopping for a pee break? I kinda feel like that's still the worst I've ever seen.
PhilG
road blocked

Next

Return to Past Seasons