15.1 - They Thought Godzilla Was Walking Down the Street

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

15.1 - They Thought Godzilla Was Walking Down the Street

Postby miri on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:10 pm

Discuss

As much as it sucks for the first elim team, I preferred the first task tension to the standard drive to the airport tension that a first ep seems to be filled with. Eliminating them seems harsh, though.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 15.1 - They Thought Godzilla Was Walking Down the Street

Postby rockhpi on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:28 pm

The early elimination seemed like such a waste of preparation for the eliminated team AND the whole TAR staff that prepared them. At least it came down to two teams I wasn't crazy about. I loved the Japanese Game Show theme and having to haul around 20 locals but it took up too much of the episode - there should have been more to do in Tokyo. Only a 2-hour penalty for not finishing a task? Unless the speed bump was much farther than it looked, it was kind of weak. But I really like the Globetrotters, Zev & Justin, and Brian & Ericka. I like Meghan and Cheyne better than I thought I would but he needs to go to a grownup's barber. The ducks were very cool. My g/f noticed that the teams left the first stop at ~1AM but didn't get to the airport until it was light out...what happened there?
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby macaddict on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Eat the wasabi!!!!!

Canaan is "sexually pure?" Oh no, more virgins!
macaddict
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:39 pm

macaddict wrote:Eat the wasabi!!!!!

Canaan is "sexually pure?" Oh no, more virgins!

I laughed everytime they played the "Eat the Wasabi" voice. And when Mika said "We're Christians, so that'll help us on the race", it made me wonder if all the other eliminated teams over the years were Satanists or something.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Kanuck on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:58 pm

I loved the ducks, and laughed at the wasabi/gameshow wackiness. I wonder if the gameshow connection helped re: the supposedly crazy filming fees in Japan.

I also noticed that it was light when they reached the airport, and unless Narita is 5hrs from downtown (guessing it could be light as early as 6am in summer) wonder if they were actually checking out from the pit stop later than it claimed, or else there was another task that was dropped.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:11 am

I think that was one of the worst first episodes ever. If I were a first time viewer, I don't think I would have stuck around for the second half. I absolutely HATED the pre-starting line elimination! It seemed like a Survivor-esque thing to do and was just totally unnecessary. And the first task in Tokyo was ridiculous. First they make everyone wait until all the teams were together, then the teams couldn't do anything but stand there while some guy spun a wheel. I hate the tasks that are pure luck. I'd also really love to know what moron thought that people standing around eating sushi would make for interesting tv. Then teams almost got eliminated because people employed by the show either wandered off or had to go to the bathroom. Just a really crappy first leg!
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:02 am

The first hour kinda sucked. The license plate elimination reeked of Survivor (eliminate someone instantly.) At least we didn't waste any time with airport drama. As usual the second plane caught up to the first one. Then, everyone had to stand around and wait at the game show for everyone else to show up. They should have started spinning the sushi roulette wheel as soon as the first team showed up. I started cracking up on the 'Eat the wasabi', though. It all seemed a waste, because no one was eliminated, and everyone essentially started the next leg at the same time (all on the same plane, even the team with the 2 hour penalty.) Even the bus ride didn't provide any separation, as the boat dock was closed for the day by the time the first teams arrived.

Lot of herding in this 2 hours, first 20 Japanese tourists, then 100 ducks. Wouldn't it have been funny if Phil had announced the prize for winning that leg was the 100 ducks!
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:52 am

I loved the game-show thing.... the "wasabi Bryan" etc screenshots rocked. It was appropriate it was a NEL though given the issue of them all having to wait until everyone arrived before the game started. And in TAR Asia they've done the first leg NEL thing and its worked well, as some teams just need a few legs to get in to their groove.

I would have been GUTTED to be the team at the startline that got eliminated though. I did think though that the task was far eaier and more simple than I thought it would be.

I also thought it was clever for the teams on the second bus to pay the bus driver to leave. Good thinking from them.
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby Bart Ender on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:03 am

I liked the first hour. The quickie elimination could have bombed badly - had nine of the twelve teams been eliminated, it would have been a bummer (Hi, Bilal and Sa'eed!) - but since one of the three teams I hated based on introductions got eliminated, it was kind of satisfying. I don't think I would want to take that bet again, though.

I really, really like the addition of a task to figure out who is on what flight rather than airport drama - there's only so many ways to make the drive to LAX exciting. The task itself wasn't the best - it seemed to be a "read the clue" task, but it didn't really reward teams for reading the clue as much as it rewarded teams for moving quickly and trying multiple times. Maybe a two-minute penalty for each bad guess would have helped (and given teams time to read the clue).

Eat the Wasabi!!! I agree that the chance-based first task seemed kind of random, but I liked the challenge, and the only way to make a random challenge make sense is on a non-elim leg.

The second half of the hour was really good - challenging transportation and a really cool duck-hurding task.

All in all, it did a really good job of introducing all of the teams - it was probably my favorite first episode since season six.
Bart Ender
fast forwarding

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 am

I would love to know what they cut from the 2 episodes. If the flight arrived Toyko at 4pm and they went to the game show - then how come the teams clocked it after noon? They obviously made them come back in the morning maybe?

And I had a feeling at it was NEH cause that sushi task was such a luck of the draw kind of task.

And the poker players lucked out on that 2 hour time delay!

I'm just glad to see my favorite show and Phil back on the air again!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:52 am

The second half of the hour was really good - challenging transportation and a really cool duck-hurding task.

All in all, it did a really good job of introducing all of the teams - it was probably my favorite first episode since season six.

There were 2 episodes back to back last night. It sounds like most of the stuff you liked was in the second episode.
Rachel RSL

Postby macaddict on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:03 am

I don't watch Survivor so I didn't know they do the before-we-get-started elimination thing. So that makes me like it a little less. I guess I was just happy a team who's introduction I found annoying was eliminated.
I was surprised Team Poker incurred only a two-hour penalty for losing people. Hasn't the penalty for not completing a task always been more like four or six hours? I can't remember how long Rob and Amber had to wait because he didn't eat the meat.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:08 am

I'm pretty sure that the non-meat eating people had to wait 4 hours. Maybe they made an exception this time because it's not really their fault if dumbass people wander off or break their shoes or have to pee.
Rachel RSL

Postby bluelena on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:27 am

I wonder what their instructions were from production. They could have easily been instructed to NOT make it easy for the teams to keep up with them.
bluelena
TARfly

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:33 am

I glad that TAR is back, but I too thought it was an okay episode at best. Not the typical awesome start that I'm used to upon the show's return, but rather interesting. The open elimination thing wasn't cool. It might have been good for the show to start off with such drama and excitement, but I felt more upset about the whole thing as well that I wasn't worked up at all. At least they were warned in advance, but hopefully if this segment surfaces on a future race, maybe it would fit better mid-race instead of at the start.

Maria/Tiffany definitely lucked out last night, as it's been unheard of for a NEL to occur on the first leg. It would not have been a loss at all had it been an elimination leg, but that would've sucked for someone to go out based on the fact that you needed an entire group of people to stay together through the end of the leg. People exit out of tours all the time (unless it's worth it or costs too much). Although as mentioned, I wonder if those folks were instructed to make things difficult for the teams during the tour.

So far, of the two teams out of the race, it's two teams (of several) that I actually wanted to see Philiminated.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Next

Return to Past Seasons