14.12 - This is how you lose a million dollars.

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.12 - This is how you lose a million dollars.

Postby BrianBoyko on Sun May 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Loved it!

1) Taxi Karma

2) It all coming down to a three-way race at the Geography Roadblock

3) Everyone wearing beachwear.

4) Everyone taking off beachwear!
BrianBoyko
yielded

Re: 14.12 - This is how you lose a million dollars.

Postby rockhpi on Sun May 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Congrats Tammy & Victor! I felt very bad for Luke...he did so well until people showed up and psyched him out.

And as much as I don't like Jaime, I appreciate that she apologized to the driver and showed Luke the last two boards after he helped her finish. (But: "...not their personal concierge"-Ha!).

I don't like these short finales but staying in Hawaii was better than flight-Hawaii-task-everyone on the same plane-final city.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby grubsneerg on Sun May 10, 2009 9:40 pm

"I'm not wearing any pants!" What a way to win a million. :) I missed the first half of the episode, so I'll have to watch it on cbs.com tomorrow. So glad Tammy and Victor won. I consistently liked them. I did feel sorry for Luke--how frustrating to get to the final task first and leave last.
grubsneerg
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby commodore64 on Sun May 10, 2009 11:02 pm

I am excited for Tammy and Victor. I wasn't really rooting for any particular team at the end... but anyway.

I really like it that they have that sort of task at the end, remembering previous places/ tasks. though, it's getting a little predictable- in that- as your racing, you should know to memorize or retrace your steps at every pit stop.

I wish they had named the episode "I didn't remember seeing Jesus in the first leg" or whatever Jaime said.. I thought that was funny.
commodore64
yielded

Postby alexking on Sun May 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Phew! That was the best possible outcome. Luke never learned to stay calm and not give up under pressure, and that's what lost the race for them. T&V were the strongest team overall and they deserved the win. GO T&V!
alexking
yielded

Postby rockhpi on Sun May 10, 2009 11:34 pm

I wish they had named the episode "I didn't remember seeing Jesus in the first leg" or whatever Jaime said.. I thought that was funny.

I was hoping for Jaime's "Please Pick Up the Pig" lol.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Loraxe on Mon May 11, 2009 7:33 am

Was this the mushiest ending ever? Lots of love and respect within each team, but also between the three teams. The 3 waiting at the roadblock were so supportive of each other, as well as their team mates. Normally, I would have been put off by this, but since I didn't mind any of these teams winning I refrained from gagging over what I call the Return of the King ending.

Still cheering for the redheads right up to the end, but Margie rocked as usual, and Victor won me over for the last leg with his 'I hope we get to bring to gnome' comment.

Loved the lack of pants, and the final task.
Loraxe
fast forwarding

Postby evening on Mon May 11, 2009 9:00 am

I like Tammy and Victor from the start, so the outcome was great to me! Midway through I was sure it was going to be Margie and Luke... Would love to know how much of a head start he had.

Did anyone else notice that when they were carrying the pig, the entire weight of it was on Cara's end most of the time? It wasnt in the middle of the pole so Jamie was getting off easy.

I didnt remember "Jesus" at all
evening
road blocked

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon May 11, 2009 2:14 pm

I always get emotional when the teams do the finish line bit and the clips of both the cheerleaders and Luke and Margie in the cabs also made me cry.

I have to say, I really think the best team won here. They as a team ahve been the most consistent, the friendliest and cheeriest contestants all the way through except for the blip in Romania.

Statistically in terms of their placing in all the legs they're one of the best teams ever yes? Someone with the stats can you tell me? . Only behind Jeremy & Tyler & ?????

With regard to
rockhpi wrote:I appreciate that she apologized to the driver and showed Luke the last two boards after he helped her finish. (But: "...not their personal concierge"-Ha!)

I agree totally with this I as like oh good you apologised but re: the peronal concierge quote to be fair they were only asking to find a bloody road - surely a taxi should be able to do that - surely thats ehat they get paid for!?!

He did really run when he was putting the petrol in...!
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Mon May 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Statistically in terms of their placing in all the legs they're one of the best teams ever yes? Someone with the stats can you tell me? . Only behind Jeremy & Tyler & ?????

This sounds like a job for Super Geek! Yes, for teams beaten/teams possible to beat, T/V have the best record among winners (78%), ahead of BJ &Tyler and Nick & Starr. Eric & Jeremy still have the best record ever (86%), but they didn't win.

To me, it's the fairest way to compare, although an argument could be made that a team with 70% in a 13-leg season beat more people more consistently than a 70% team in an 11-leg season. It's also legitimate to say that a team that comes in 2nd-to-last every leg then wins the final is better because they won the game! It's just food-for-thought fun. You can see all the stats on page 15 of the Whimsy/Fantasy thread-I try to keep it updated.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon May 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks rockhpi!
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby Jeepin'G on Tue May 12, 2009 2:00 am

I've thought about this all day (well not the entire day) and have come to realize that the finale sucked. The entire leg was totally pointless, except the final challenge. The might as well had the surfboards set up at the Honolulu airport, with the cheering throng of previously eliminated teams standing 10 feet away. There was basically no opportunity for any of the other portions of the leg to make any difference in the outcome.
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby kelda_shelton on Tue May 12, 2009 3:16 am

how so? luke & margie passed everyone at the pig task as they were physically a stronger team. The cheerleaders got lost finding the surfboards...
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby njlady30 on Tue May 12, 2009 7:27 am

I enjoyed the finale - laughed at the heavy pig!! I thought that there should have been one more stop between the surfboards and the pitstop but otherwise a well done show!! Again cab drivers really can make a huge difference.

I also liked that they all liked each other - especially when they were hugging each other while the partners were doing the surfboard challenge.
njlady30
at the start line

Postby evening on Tue May 12, 2009 1:59 pm

yeah - have we ever seen Phil hugging teams to the extent he did at the end of this finale??? I dont remember ever seeing that, but by then I may have turned it off...
evening
road blocked

Next

Return to Past Seasons