14.11 - He Made Me Look Like Alice Cooper

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.11 - He Made Me Look Like Alice Cooper

Postby grubsneerg on Sun May 03, 2009 11:25 pm

I would have preferred to see Kisha and Jen in the final three rather than Jamie and Cara, but when you gotta go, you gotta go.
grubsneerg
eating, sleeping & mingling

Re: 14.11 - No More Mr. Nice Guy

Postby alexking on Sun May 03, 2009 11:33 pm

I agree. I had been rooting for them, but they deserved to lose. Stopping to pee???? At the pit stop??? Before checking in??? After taking your sweet time doing the eating roadblock??? They didn't deserve to make the final 3. Now I have to root for T&V, who are the lesser of three evils.
alexking
yielded

Postby rockhpi on Sun May 03, 2009 11:57 pm

I hope that pee felt good, Jen because it cost you a million dollars. Dammit, dammit, dammit. Jen & Kisha's stock was low with me after last week, but I started rooting for their comeback this week. Especially when it seemed that the ultimate comeuppance was about to occur: Jaime & Cara being eliminated because of their inability to interact with locals. And Jen had to spoil it all. You know, if it means a million dollars I'd leave a wet streak right down the middle of Beijing's busiest street. Very frustrating. And it means that harpy has a shot at the win.

So, for the math geeks:

If Tammy & Victor win, they will have the best winner's record ever in the Race (78%).

If Margie & Luke win, they will tie for 3rd best winners ever with Rob & Brennan (72%).

If Jaime and Cara win, they will only be slightly better than Freddy & Kendra, making them second worst winners in Race history (47%).

[Teams beaten divided by max. teams possible to beat]
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby BrianBoyko on Mon May 04, 2009 12:18 am

I've never understood why Tammi/Victor are the lesser of three evils; one of the things about the Race is that it changes the relationship; in fact, that's the whole premise of the show.

That is, T/V started out with the Overbearing Big Brother, but as time went on, they learned from their mistake and their near miss in Romania, and since then, they've been playing an A-game.

So, Victor's got a high, squeaky voice. So what?

The big thing is the U-Turn. While I like the U-Turn compared to the "wait around" factor for the Yield, I really don't see a real need for it to be there; I also think the U-Turn is such a "instant lose" that it probably should only be used on NELs and the first half of uberlegs. Granted, the U-Turn has only been used 4 times in the history of the Race, and used only 3 times on teams that were behind, rather than forward, but all three of those teams were eliminated. Yes, Kiesha and Jen stopped to pee... probably shouldn't have - but the biggest factor in their elimination was the U-Turn; if they didn't have that extra task, it would have not even been close.

But you run the race you have, not the race you wish to have, and if I were in T/V's position, I would have chosen Kiesha/Jen. Both Jaime and Cara and Margie and Luke are showing major signs of KF; beyond the footrace aspect, which is obvious, they were simply the better competitors.

Which brings me back to T/V. I don't blame -them- personally, because T/V have been outstanding racers, (four first place wins, and only one leg (Romania) where they weren't in the top three,) but I do think it's a little worrisome that three legs (or, 1 leg + 1 uberleg) were in the same country, and it was a country where the team had no language barrier to overcome. It's one of the reasons that I don't like it when TAR sticks around too long in a single country; the advantages and disadvantages are multiplied. In this particular case, T/V got a HUGE leg-up on the other teams because of that language barrier going into the final three. (I think the three teams are getting bunched on the same flight, of course, based on the previews.)

Was I on the edge of my seat? Was I loving every moment? Did I punch the air when K/J got out of the U-Turn before J/C got to it - you bet I did! If anyone from WRP reads this - take it with the same grain of salt an NFL fan does when he complains about things "two feet-in-bounds vs. one foot-in-bounds."
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon May 04, 2009 5:34 am

What the hell was Jen going to the toilet for? I mean HELLO!!!
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby sls on Mon May 04, 2009 7:20 am

I hope Tammy and Victor win, but it [u]is[/u] extremely unfair to spend so long in a country where they have a clear advantage! Therefore, a Margie and Luke win would be acceptable, too. They're not my favorite racers - they've had their problems, but they did overcome a very difficult language barrier the last 3 weeks.

If Cara and Jamie win, I may stop watching the race for good! They do not deserve to win after the way they have treated the locals. It's been in every country, too. They haven't learned anything at all during the race, and to be honest, have even gotten worse. Telling the cab driver, "Stay!" was totally uncalled for! I really hope they are embarrassed watching the race and show up much more humble at TARcon!
sls
at the start line

Postby whereverthefk on Mon May 04, 2009 9:19 am

Best moment of the episode for me: Cara breaking the 4th wall and looking directly at the camera when JaiME! said Cara had been negative the whole race. Her "Seriously? Did I really just hear that right, you guys???" look was CLASSIC.

As for PeeGate, WHAT. THE. FUCK????? How could Jen stop??? And how could Kisha let her??? I mean, I wanted them out, to be honest (I don't like either K or J, whereas I like 50% of the Reds), but this one floored me. All I could think was that, if that were me and whereverthesister, there is NO WAY she'd have let me stop!! She'd have ordered me to hold it or just pee while running (I'd have gleefully chosen the latter), but stopping? NOT an option when we're thisclose to getting to the last leg! Lamest reason for elimination EVER.

In spite of the inherent unfairness of 3 straight legs in a country where one team is fluent (even Mr. Wtf was like "WTF???" on that one), I'm hoping for a T/V win -- I like how their relationship has evened out a bit, I think Victor has been somewhat humbled, I think they've raced really well, and [shallow] Tammy's just really pretty [/shallow].

Margie and Luke won't upset me, either, though. Despite a little KF on Margie's part, in particular, this episode (With the micromanaging of the make-up job forst, then, if I heard right, when Luke said "The U-Turn has to be near the Roadblock"?, but she didn't listen and insisted on wandering around anyway.), they have never bothered me, and I think what they've managed is actually pretty damn impressive -- including the fact that some of the detours have really only offered one choice for them, due to Luke's hearing issues. Margie's been a beast (in a good way), and they've earned the win.

The Reds are my new FloZach. If they win, I'll be happy for the seemingly delightful Cara, but I'll have to block out the fact that one of the nastiest, shrillest, most ethnocentristic harpies ever on the Race gets half.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby M. Darcy on Mon May 04, 2009 9:45 am

Best moment of the episode for me: Cara breaking the 4th wall and looking directly at the camera when JaiME! said Cara had been negative the whole race. Her "Seriously? Did I really just hear that right, you guys???" look was CLASSIC.
That was great. I also loved it when the cab driver winked at the camera.

Now that is a great ending! I doubt the finale will be that exciting.

Wow, yeah, you never stop on the way to the pitstop. I wonder if the food really disagreed with Jen and that is really why she had to stop at the toilet.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Kanuck on Mon May 04, 2009 10:05 am

That's what I wondered, considering the length of time she was apparently in the toilet. To be accurate, though, I would say it was her performance on the roadblock that cost them the spot in the finale, not the peeing ... she took forever to eat the crispy critters, breaking them into tiny wee bits and washing them down with tons of water, and that's what allowed C/J to catch up more than the time spent peeing. And really, to say it cost them the million implies that, had they arrived in the final 3, they would have won and considering their performance thus far I would still have rated that as an unlikely possibility.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby rockhpi on Mon May 04, 2009 10:45 am

one of the things about the Race is that it changes the relationship

I like Victor and Tammy, but last night, he told her a couple of times during the Chinese Waiter task "Ok, I'll let you talk" and he kept joining in. I think he hasn't TOTALLY turned it around.

As far as legs in China, I have to believe that the Race is planned before the teams are chosen - maybe I'm wrong.

I agree, whereverthefk, a Cara/Jaime victory would be a Zach/Flo, Freddy/Kendra, Eric/Danielle, season-ruining victory. That would be too bad because I think this season is an improvement over the last two for the most part. Still room for improvement (did the teams drive themselves once this season?) but a good season so far.

I'm ashamed to admit that I chuckled heavily when Jaime clonked her head on the cab door.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby evening on Mon May 04, 2009 11:31 am

I've been a Tammy and Victor fan from the start, and know the route was probably mapped out before the teams were selected, but it still seems really unfair! That restaurant task was made for them.

And every time they say something like "I know where that is from the Olympics" or whatever, all I can think of is the usual "hometown" dis-advantage. Like the Guidos lived in Paris for 2 years.

And, I see drag queens all the time in their natural habitat - and none of them look like Margie after Luke was done with her!
evening
road blocked

Postby JenEx on Mon May 04, 2009 11:53 am

No, the peeing most likely didn't cost them the million, but it still seems rather un-RAAAAACE-like. Considering Kisha and Jen did BOTH detours and still got to the eating task before Cara and Jaime, they should have had it in the bag -- the slow eating did them in. We don't know yet how far behind they actually were, so no telling if the bathroom break really was the killer or not, but it just seems like a bad idea in any case. Sure, when you gotta go you gotta go, but I would totally have peed my pants to get to the pitstop before C/J, million dollars or not.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby rockhpi on Mon May 04, 2009 12:00 pm

We don't know yet how far behind they actually were

Phil said when Kisha/Jen were on the mat "You had to stop for the bathroom? It came down to seconds."
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby JenEx on Mon May 04, 2009 12:26 pm

That's what he said, but that doesn't mean it's the truth. They love to edit it to look like seconds, and maybe it was, or maybe it wasn't. Either way, if she's eaten more quickly she would have had time to stop to pee and still been ahead of C/J.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby whereverthefk on Mon May 04, 2009 1:01 pm

Agreed completely, JenEx. At one point, I was actually starting to wonder exactly how small "bites" Jen could possible break those pieces into! She just made it all last twice, three times, whatever LONGER, allowing the motoring Cara to catch up. And adding 4 bottles of water to her load, to boot!

As for the time/editing issue, you are again right on the money. As Mr. Wtf (who, yes, has become quite the vocal TAR-watcher!) asutely observed at one point, you can't tell how long it really takes anyone to do anything/how far apart the teams are because of the editing. And I wouldn't put a little hyperbole past Phil.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Next

Return to Past Seasons