14.10 - Having A Baby's Gotta Be Easier Than This

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.10 - Having A Baby's Gotta Be Easier Than This

Postby miri on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 14.10 - Having A Baby's Gotta Be Easier Than This

Postby M. Darcy on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:10 pm

Yeah! I don't think I've ever prayed so hard for a nonelimination (well, since Mike and Mel). I'm glad Kisha and Jen are still around. Man, when you are scared of the pool, it is scary. I'm still not a big fan of the deep end of the pool - well, anything over 5 feet deep.

And, my Mom said that the foot message is that painful.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby PhilG on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:14 pm

I love K&J now even more than I did before...and I dislike T&V and M&L even more as well.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Northwoods101 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 pm

With Jamie obsessing about finishing first, I should have known it was going to be a TBC, but it caught me totally off guard. Luke's running into jen outside of the airport was totally uncalled for, and reinforces my opinion that he is an angry young man. Im suprised that they didnt show it in replay multiple times as well. Has any bald snarked taskes more than Jen & Keisa did episode. I really hope Kara makes Jamie get that foot torture after the race, Jamie was being so harsh!
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby BrianBoyko on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:20 am

After retiring the Uberleg for 3 seasons, I did -not- see this coming. Good job to WRP for keeping something we've literally seen a dozen times before interesting and surprising!

-- Brian.
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby PhilG on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 am

There were signs it was gonna be a "TBC" leg...Phil didn't make his spiel about "the last team to arrive here may be eliminated"...the fact that at 8:50 no one had checked in yet...the fact that we know the series finale is on two weeks and there was only one more team to be eliminated...the fact that there was no greeter.

But what threw me is the clue read "pit stop." IINM usually the clue wouldn't use that phrase and would rather say things like "meet Phil at the mat."

Still and all, I like the extra-length leg to decide the final 3, I'm glad it's an extended leg instead of an NEL (which I hate), and (at the risk of repeating myself) I'm thrilled it means the sisters are still alive.

(But the Michael Phelps comparison thing was kinda lame...)
PhilG
road blocked

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:50 am

Just cause I love to be different (ok, not really -- this is actually how I feel): I am TOTALLY BUMMED that due to the TBC -- which I actually totally dig at this point conceptually, instead of a non-elim -- freaking Kisha and Jen are still around. I was neutral on them until ElbowGate, and I thought (as put so succinctly by Kanuck, I think it was) that that situation really just kind of happened in an unfortunate way, but they (esp Jen) totally lost me at "Bitch".

Add to that all their "They just give us that dumb look, like zombies. They should at least be able to say 'Me no speak English'!" (Really, ladies? Can you say "Me no speak Mandarin" in Mandarin? No? Shocking.) and "They all look alike" (which -- playing devil's advocate -- could have been abt the cabs themselves, or perhaps the cabbies' outfits, but either way: You just DON'T say that.) nonsense, and I really REALLY wanted them gone. Even more than the Reds, because at least Cara seems like a decent, pretty sweet person (though it was pretty killer seing Jaimie get all crushed when they didn't win the leg. Ahhhh, schadenfreude...). J+K have done absolutely nothing to impress me along the way, seeming to just skate along this far, and at this point, their nasty attitudes and general classlessness (like that of Jaimie, aka Ms. "This is why I didn't want to go to China! SUCKS!!") is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth -- to the point where I actually could muster up very little sympathy for them when Jen was melting down abt the water*. They would be really unsatisfying winners for me.

In other news: I can't believe they're going to still be in China next week!!! What the hell??? 3 episodes? And India was only 1? Lame! MOVE ON, please.

Tammy and Victor FTW!!!

(Or Margie and Luke -- I'd still be ok with them, I think.)

*Btw, did anyone else wonder why the frack no one helped Jen get out of the water the few times they tried the Sync jumps? She basically looked like she was drowning while she was trying to get out of the pool -- I couldn't believe no one jumped in to get her! (See? I'm not COMPLETELY heartless! :p)
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:19 am

Did we know the Fast Forwards weren't happening in this season?

I so felt for Jen in the pool. I was screaming at my TV when they hit the aquatic center .. just take the time penalty and run to the pit stop!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby PhilG on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:21 am

We know there was a FF a few weeks ago that no team chose to go for since it involved spending $$ and they were afraid it would be too costly. That apparently was the only one.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:30 am

I mostly agree with whereverthefk but I hate the reds worse than Jen and Kisha. I had such evil joy when their first place....wasn't really. Ha! And they have the nerve to complain that they never get good cab drivers. It couldn't have anything to do with the way they talk to all of them like they're bad dogs...

But J&K did lose a lot of points with me for that "dumb look" comment and Jen, though gorgeous, seems like a snotty bitch. I wonder if the pool experience will humble her at all or if it'll bounce right off. And she's the queen of "We need to do the other Detour" <5 minutes later> "I KNEW we should have stayed with the first choice!" Grr.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby evening on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:00 pm

Not sure if "dumb look" or "they all look alike" was more offensive.... They were definitely talking about the drivers, not the cab.

It also surprised me that Jen did the opposite of what I would imagine someone afraid to drown would do - swam with her head straight down in the water without taking breaths.

And, thank you Mom and Dad for making sure I could swim at a young age!

Tammy was completely in the right about that cab. Jamie was screaming that none of the drivers knew the place, because they (J&C) werent saying it right. If Tammy/Victor didnt show up and tell the driver the right name, they'd still be standing there. I hate her.

I am so glad it was a TBC - I dont want another NEL! When Phil said "you arrived first" my first thought was "what did they do? what's are they being penalized for?" Never occurred to me it was a TBC.
evening
road blocked

Postby JenEx on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Add to that all their "They just give us that dumb look, like zombies. They should at least be able to say 'Me no speak English'!" (Really, ladies? Can you say "Me no speak Mandarin" in Mandarin? No? Shocking.)

Word, WTF. Nothing can make me go from neutral to full-blown HATE faster than ugly Americanism. I don't care how tired and frustrated you are, there is no excuse for that.

The look on Cara and Jaime's faces when Phil told them to keep racing was PRICELESS. Seriously. One of the highlights of the season for me.

I'm back to pulling for Tammy and Victor for the win. They have shown grace under pressure, Victor has stopped being quite as assy as he started out, and Tammy is awesome. Plus, they are pretty funny, in a low-key way.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby curse reversed on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:46 pm

But what threw me is the clue read "pit stop." IINM usually the clue wouldn't use that phrase and would rather say things like "meet Phil at the mat."

You're right PhilG and that is why, like evening, I thought C/J were about to get a penalty and were trying to figure out what they had done wrong.

AndreaInNC wrote:I was screaming at my TV when they hit the aquatic center .. just take the time penalty and run to the pit stop!

I was starting to think that myself. I wonder if that is an option on Detours as well-IIRC the only two times it has come into play before it has been a Roadblock (the locks in TAR6 and the meat in TAR7).

Even though she can't swim, T/V took waaaaay too long to switch Detours. Sync seemed to be clearly harder and slower and after seeing all the trouble Jen was having and knowing they didn't have to beat a certain time they should have known they didn't have to worry about how far behind they were. I wonder if the clue mentioned the availability of life preservers.

Speaking of which it was really nice to see Kisha wearing the life jacket and hear her explanation of why she was doing it. She was also so supportive the whole time at the aquatic center.

PhilG wrote:(But the Michael Phelps comparison thing was kinda lame...)

Yeah but it did allow for this exchange:

PhilK: "The teams will have to wear a Nike Lazr swimsuit and emulate Michael Phelps by
swimming the 400IM."
Me: "Are they also going to have to carry a bong for the rest of the leg?"
curse reversed
bunched

Postby Tea-time on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:00 pm

The only time I remember anyone giving up on a Detour was in the very first TAR, when Nancy&Emily were assessed a 12-hour penalty for taking a cab to the next clue, instead of following the Detour choices (bus or private car). I don't know if that penalty still applies, but if it does, Keisha&Jen would have been much farther behind than they are.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Not sure if "dumb look" or "they all look alike" was more offensive.... They were definitely talking about the drivers, not the cab.

I don't know. They said some pretty jaw-dropping things this episode but, in that case, I really did get the impression they were talking about the cabs themselves, not the drivers. I mean, they recognized the guy as soon as they went to talk to him. "Wait, isn't that the same guy? They all look alike!" I definitely got the impression that they ran up to the same cab because the cabs did all look alike but, as soon as they got there, they recognized that they'd already talked to that driver.

At this point, I'm firmly in the "Anyone but Margie & Luke" camp (HATE!) but I'm also firmly in the "Tammy & Victor FTW!" camp. I adore them! They seem to be so pleasant to everyone they meet, they don't scream at each other, they stay out of all the drama, and they're good Racers for the most part. After so many boring seasons where I didn't care about the finale, it's nice to have a team to actively root for.

Was it just me or were the judges at the diving Detour way too harsh? I understand that some of the dives were way off but some of Tammy and Victor's dives were close enough by TAR standards that they should have been given a 5. Especially after like the 15th jump.

The Michael Phelps thing was pointless but amused me nonetheless. Especially when one of the cheerleaders thought they had to beat his record. When they had the graphic showing how far ahead Michael Phelps would be while they were swimming, the Michael Phelps graphic would disappear off the right of the screen and I kept expecting it to come back across and lap the Racer graphic. Stupidness like that amuses me.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Next

Return to Past Seasons