14.9 - Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.9 - Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death

Postby miri on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:54 pm

discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 4.9 - Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death

Postby M. Darcy on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:22 pm

Probably both Luke and Jen were too aggressive at the clue boxes but jeez, Luke and Margie overreact much? It seems to me that Kisha and Jen were laughing because the entire situation was so stupid. And Margie, what does the fact that Kisha and Jen are Black have to do with anything.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby KenF on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:37 pm

That was a bit much of Margie. I know she's going to defend her son to the death, but that was a massive overreaction.
KenF
taking a detour

Postby alexking on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:07 pm

KenF wrote:That was a bit much of Margie. I know she's going to defend her son to the death, but that was a massive overreaction.

Seriously! Geez Louise. Wouldn't it be more insulting if everyone tiptoed around Luke and treated him like he was made out of glass? I honestly don't think anything that Jen/Kisha said/did wouldn't have happened if Luke could hear. L+M really overreacted.
alexking
yielded

Postby rockhpi on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:52 pm

I feel that the first cluebox incident was Jen on Luke's back reaching into the cluebox and he had a natural elbow-out "get off of me" reaction. Could have been avoided if Jen had waited two seconds to get the clue when he was done. Chalk it up to the heat of the moment, but I felt Jen was at fault.

I feel the second cluebox incident was fueled by the first and that Luke's momentum (due in part to wanting to beat Jen) knocked her into the box, but he did make the "I went too far, I'm backing off" motion with his hands when he saw he was bumping into her. I didn't feel he was body-checking her but he could have been more careful if not for the previous incident.

At the Pit Stop, I do feel Margie was hypersensitive due to the heated emotions and misinterpreted the girls' laughter and I do give Kisha credit for apologizing that she took it that way (I think it was sincere) and I wish Margie could have calmed down enough to accept it. However, I think that the girls also overreacted initially telling other teams "Luke pushed me", etc. when in reality Jen was being over-aggressive.

Overall it was a stupid incident and could have been avoided if Jen wouldn't have tried to push her way into the cluebox to save a couple of seconds.

Not that anyone asked me :)
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby whereverthefk on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:05 pm

I completely agree, rockhpi, on all counts.

I don't think Keisha was actually laughing at Luke's signing -- I think she was laughing at his argument/his point that it wasn't his fault, which Keisha didn't agree with. The timing was just unfortunate, because Margie was just too riled up from watching her son go through what he had all day to hear her. Add a dash of KF, and Margie just lost the plot a little.

All that said, I think Jen kinda has no class. All that "bitch" stuff was TOTALLY out of line.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby JenEx on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm

That was stupid and childish, and way to teach your kid to be all about his disability instead of focusing on making him a decent human being, Margie. No wonder he has been basically useless the entire race, if she's treated him like she's made out of glass for his entire life. Am over Margie.

LOVED the greeters. Hi, we're eating lunch, welcome to China, whatevs.

Poor Victor and Tammy at the pitstop. AWKWARD. I think I am rooting for them by default now. Also, they were funny about the Chinese character thing.

BAI Mark and Michael. Will NOT miss you.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby tivogirl on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:15 pm

I was really disappointed the other teams didn't step back and let Tammy and Victor take #1 on this leg. They deserved the consideration since they all admittedly rode their Chinese coattails through the final task. Since they were all clumped up anyway, it would've been nice for the other two teams to let them have it if only as a thank you for their assistance. Would've been good Karma.
tivogirl
the world is waiting

Postby Northwoods101 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:16 pm

My impression is that Luke is an angry young man and he reacted angrily, elbowing and hip checking Jen at the first clue box. The second cluebox was retatiltion for being called a bitch. I hope that the three replays of the first incident that Margie will see that her son was at fault. It seems to be a double edged sword for teams who use a disablity for their motavation in the race, and Luke and margie completely use it as Luke is being picked on for being deaf. Being deaf had nothing to do with the blowup, Luke being Colin the 2nd and being over agresive was the gunpowder, along with some KF. Margie's complete about Jen and Kiesa being black was inaproiate, and she was reacting in the heat of the moment. I think that Margie preceved that Jen and Kiesa had been discriminated against and therefore wouldnt discriminate against another, but she jumped to the conclusion the whole blow up was over her sons disablity. I wonder if Luke and Margie see the irony in their motavation to run the race was to prove Luke can do anything a hearing person can do, when he never would have make it this far without his mom being able bodied and doing all the commincation. Of all the seasons Margie has done the most and been the most over protective mom. After tonights' show I want them gone and for Tammy and Victor to win. I loved some of things they said in Chinese, the shows title, and "we must be the foreigners". I feel kind of bad for Kara, shes being overwhelmed by jamies agressiveness and doesnt want to comfront jamie because it will make Jamie angier. Bye tweedles, you wouldnt be missed.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby Kanuck on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:21 pm

I'm with rockhpi and wtf on this one, it was a mix of over-reaction on all sides plus a healthy mix of killer fatigue (especially if they kept them waiting somewhere in Guilin all night). While Margie did totally over-do it at the PitStop, she seemed to at least acknowledge the fact in the later interview clip, and had been telling him to calm down/let go of the incident all day. Yes he was frustrated, but I don't see that he was "angry" in the first cluebox incident ... it's a race, they were racing to grab a clue from the same box. If you don't want to be pushed or inconvenienced, stay home. Race.

RE: overnight gap, I'm curious to know what they did - it was obviously nighttime (I'm guessing maybe midnight-ish) when the first 4 teams landed, yet as they were driving to town it "magically" became light out, they were in different cabs, and wearing different clothes. I wonder if they basically had them stop at a hotel somewhere for a mini-pitstop as all of the events obviously needed to be done during daylight hours. (Also odd that they were required to fly via Guangzhou ... wonder if it had to do with airport filming permits or what?? In any case, flights left Guangzhou around 9pm and doubt it's more than 3 hrs to Guilin in the NE, so thus the guess of midnight-ish).

Good riddance to M&M, who still couldn't stop themselves from the ridiculous "Asian" accents yet again this week.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby spear on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:34 am

There are a bunch of pictures on the CBS site of a task that wasn't shown:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_ra ... 72&s=1&p=1
It was done during the day, though.
spear
at the start line

Postby macaddict on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:02 am

Whoa, was this finally an incident to top Gate-gate? Probably not. After watching each incident about a half dozen times (thanks, CBS, for the endless replays) it looks like both time Luke and Jen were running too fast too close and their momentum carried them into each other and other things. I hope they don't drive like they race.
Unfortunately, all the he-pushed, she-pushed, he's deaf, you're black, overshadowed one of the funniest things I've ever seen on this show: At the salon, Margie and Luke and Kisha and Jen didn't just walk cluelessly past the clue box, they milled around it! At one point, Luke was leaning against it as his mom was asking if anyone in the salon knew where it was. Now that's some killer fatigue!
macaddict
road blocked

Postby njlady30 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:06 am

M. Darcy wrote:Probably both Luke and Jen were too aggressive at the clue boxes but jeez, Luke and Margie overreact much? It seems to me that Kisha and Jen were laughing because the entire situation was so stupid. And Margie, what does the fact that Kisha and Jen are Black have to do with anything.

I thought the same thing!! I know Margie is a protective mother but come on!! If he was not deaf and was complaining about them the girls probably would have laughed anyway!!! It was quite comical!!!! I think Luke and Margie are putting themselves at a disadvantage. They are so upset that they may screw up from angst!

And the whole first clue box - my husband and I were laughing - like hello - the clue box is right there!!!
njlady30
at the start line

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:32 am

I was really disappointed the other teams didn't step back and let Tammy and Victor take #1 on this leg. They deserved the consideration since they all admittedly rode their Chinese coattails through the final task.

Not me. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!

(Plus, T+V weren't trying to help -- they were trying to thwart the other teams in Chinese the whole time!!! Which kind of seemed like vaguely dirty play to me as I was watching, but I suspect I'd have done the same thing.)
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby Bart Ender on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:14 am

Love that the redheads (still don't know their names), who hate it when no one speaks English, had to fight to communicate and didn't benefit from following Tammy and Victor. I'm now cheering for them to win, but only because they're the best of a number of really bad options.
Bart Ender
fast forwarding

Next

Return to Past Seasons