14.8 - Rooting Around in People's Mouths Could Be Unpleasant

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.8 - Rooting Around in People's Mouths Could Be Unpleasant

Postby miri on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:19 pm

Have at it if you started on time. The rest of us will join you in a bit.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 14.8 - Rooting Around in People's Mouths Could Be Unpleasant

Postby AlexDitto on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:52 pm

Started about 25 minutes late.

Let me just say: AUGH. People leaving their packs behind? People leaving their FANNY PACKS WITH THEIR PASSPORTS BEHIND?! GOOD GRIEF. It's as though they have no idea what The Amazing Race is! Did they just start? Are they not eight legs in? Heck, that's not even race rules. That's basic international travel. Who would leave their passport on a dock in the middle of Thailand. Heavens, people! Amateurish mistakes! Poor racing frustrates me to no end.

Both Mark and Michael, but ESPECIALLY Kisha and Jen deserved to be given the boot for that. If you leave your packs behind, fine. But your passports? Never ever ever.

Margie and Luke are running a tight race, and Margie is POWERING through detours and roadblocks. Awesome. I'm totally rooting for them. Heck, I'm rooting for HER. She's a very good racer.

No Tammy and Victor drama this week! Huzzah! Karaoke! Huzzah! Thai Transvestites! ........huzzah?

Am I the only one who is convinced that people have bartered their personal belongings to "settle a debt" before on the race? Maybe I'm wrong... I can't remember a specific time, but... I don't know.

I am NOT looking forward to the drama on next week's episode. Come on, people. Stuff it and race. Less Jerry Springer, more Phileas Fogg plzkthx.

I'm totally convinced the final route info challenge is going to involve the music at all the pit stops... but this week was the first week with no music/dancing! Just a parrot, who said hello. Once. I guess... I guess that counts? As some sort of "sound?" Ooh, though, that would be an awful challenge for Luke...

I still think they're going to do it. Just the fact that they did a closeup shot of the Parrot as it said "Hello!" is proof enough for me.
AlexDitto
at the start line

Postby colav10 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi,

I think Meredith and Gretchen tried to give a taxi driver some of their possessions when they arrived at a pit stop. I don't think the taxi driver accepted any of it though. This was in season 7.

Can someone confirm?
colav10
the world is waiting

Postby Kanuck on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 pm

I don't remember that far back, though I do recall some money drama in Dubai, I think.

There was something odd with the start times this week. Last episode, Tammy/Victor and Cara/Jamie checked in within a minute, and only a few minutes before the brothers (and their 1h penalty), yet this time T/V left at 9:30 while the others left around midnight. More penalties? Who knows, and it didn't really make a difference except for more time sleeping in bed vs the airport floor.

I agree that leaving the fanny pack was foolish, but I think the problem was that most teams somehow assumed that, since they were in the middle of nowhere, that they'd be coming back to their cabs as they often have done on other legs. I'm guessing, however, that that type of info is likely contained in the additional info sheets that they get (some legs, for example, they seem to drop their bags with production staff right at the beginning) and some people clearly didn't read, whereas Margie/Luke (who generally seem quite detail-oriented) brought theirs without any questions or drama.

Speaking of Margie/Luke, now that the production team have dropped the "look what deaf people can do!!one!!" sctick, I'm liking them a lot and thinking they'll continue to do well. The promo for next week actually shows them and two other teams on the mat together talking with Phil ... that might be one of the more spoiler-ific promos they've given in quite some time.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby tivogirl on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm new here and this is my first post, but I couldn't find another site where I thought SOMEBODY might share my excitement.

Does anybody watch the Amazing Race Asia? I've found them all online and have watched all three seasons. It's a GREAT show and in English - seek it out if you haven't.

If you have watched it, you may be one of the few others to catch a cameo in tonight's episode. In the party cab with Lakisha & Jennifer, the girl sitting behind the camera was Paula Taylor from season 2 of ARA!! I had to go back and pause my DVR, look up her pic and compare to be sure, but it was definitely her!

She was on one of my favorite teams from ARA and she's a VJ and actress in Bangkok. At first I thought it a bit strange that there was no reference, but then I realized there are probably very few, if any, people here who would even know who she is or would have seen ARA at all. Still, I thought it was pretty cool!
tivogirl
the world is waiting

Postby Kanuck on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:42 pm

Welcome, tivogirl. There are indeed a number of posters here who's watched TARAsia (there's a thread in the TAR in General section, I believe), including myself. I didn't recognize her, but did notice that there was one actual female in the one cab, so that may have been her. I think they've done these "nod to the fans" moments a few times between seasons on TARA and in the AllStars race (Kevin handing out a clue), which is a nice touch.
Kanuck

Postby lucinator on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:40 am

Kanuck wrote:Speaking of Margie/Luke, now that the production team have dropped the "look what deaf people can do!!one!!" sctick, I'm liking them a lot and thinking they'll continue to do well.

I agree, Kanuck - I was thinking the same thing tonight.

Regarding the bartering, I don't remember where I heard or read it but I thought that they couldn't barter any items that they brought with them on the race but they could barter items that they obtained along the way, like the mementos that the one guy wanted to keep. (Eight legs in and I still don't know who is who for Mark/Michael, Keisha/Jen and Jamie/Cara.)

I definitely missed Mel and Mike tonight ... they would have been awesome in the tranny karaoke party cab!
lucinator
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess

Postby Kanuck on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:15 am

I got the impression that the "mementos" he was so desperate for were photos from home, or something. I don't know if they didn't say it or if it was the editing, but a "we need to pay the cabbie who's still waiting" explanation would have been much less annoying than the "I needz my stuff!" we heard over and over. Yes, those two annoy me, can you tell?
Kanuck

Postby Babalu on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:38 am

I was really glad that Margie and Luke did the dental task - it was fun in a gross sort of way, and I always like to see both detours. Margie does rock - she did all 5 of the denture-fittings *and* the propeller roadblock. However, I don't care for Luke at all, so I can't root for them.

I just finished watching moments ago, and I'd somehow already convinced myself that Michael and Mark were eliminated. Wishful thinking, I guess. I just hope their inability to follow directions was enough to give them a fatal blow in the next leg.

My favorites (of the remaining teams, of course) are still Tammy and Victor.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:51 am

Hi Tivogilr!!! I also watch TAR Asia - almost as good as original TAR!

If it IS Paula from TARA2 then shes doing well as she was in TARA3 as a greeter too..but I dont think it is. Looks kinda like her but no I dont think it is. Poor girl if it was her as Keisha & Jen were very clear that all their companions were transvestites!!!

I was sure there had been bartering before - certainly plenty of teams have tried to barter - for example - Dan & Andrew in TAR 13 in Russia and his fancy shoes they had just bought in the airport. Uchenna tried to give the guy his watch in the season finale of TAR 7.

I loved the episode for all the drama. Plus the kareoke rocked and the ikiness of the teeth was also good!!!

The time penalty might not be an issue for the brothers tho. If they have to wait for a plane they might catch up easily.
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby Northwoods101 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:36 am

The funniest moment of the whole season was the stuntmen not realising those were ladyboys in the party cab with them!

Last season the frat boys tried to barter there new shoes for the taxi fare, but the cabbie refused.

With Mel and Mike gone their isnt a team Im really rooting for. Thank goodness for the shows being on the internet, I extended my recording time for 30 minutes and the ending still got cut off, too bad the stuntmen werent eliminated, the one who is jockey has completely ignoyyed me!
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby Tea-time on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 am

kelda_shelton wrote:I was sure there had been bartering before - certainly plenty of teams have tried to barter - for example - Dan & Andrew in TAR 13 in Russia and his fancy shoes they had just bought in the airport. Uchenna tried to give the guy his watch in the season finale of TAR 7.

I think the key word there is "tried." The cabbie at the finish line refused Uchenna's offer, as did the one in Russia. I can't recall seeing any actual goods being handed over before - there was either begging for money, or (more often) pleading with the cabbie to settle for less than the full fare. Or perhaps this is a new rule?

I agree that leaving the packs wasn't the smartest move - and leaving the fanny pack with money and passports is really stupid. Keisha&Jen were lucky to get a driver who would take them for free.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:00 am

Damn, that was an awesome ending - a four hour penalty. Though, boo on the non-elimination. Too bad it wasn't during the last episode.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby PhilG on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:09 am

I don't know how much they owed the second time they bartered with the cabbie (were those handcuffs??) But the first time the meter read 790 and they had 600...190 Baht in Thai currency is about 5 bucks US. So the flashlight and compass were probably fair exchange.

I think, aside from the 4 hours for refusing to do a Roadblock a few seasons back, that's the harshest penalty I've ever seen doled out.

I'm just glad the sisters are still in the race, they're the only team I haven't found a reason to root against yet.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby alexking on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:26 am

AlexDitto wrote:
Let me just say: AUGH. People leaving their packs behind? People leaving their FANNY PACKS WITH THEIR PASSPORTS BEHIND?! GOOD GRIEF. It's as though they have no idea what The Amazing Race is! Did they just start?

I know, it is unbelievable! I only hope that if I am ever a contestant on TAR, I am lucky enough to race against people who are so dumb! But it did make for a dramatic ending, though I was hoping M+M would finally be out. They are consistently dunderheaded, which is sooo frustrating. Margie is awesome, but that Luke - UGH. I guess that leaves Tammy and Victor to root for - anyone is better than those awful redheads!

I heart this season. :)
alexking
yielded

Next

Return to Past Seasons