14.7 - Gorilla? Gorilla? Gorilla???

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.7 - Gorilla? Gorilla? Gorilla???

Postby Kanuck on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:13 pm

Discuss.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Re: 14.7 - Gorilla? Gorilla? Gorilla???

Postby rockhpi on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:32 am

NOOOOO...Mike & Mel...the zoo! The zoo!

Ugh-that Jaime (or is it Cara) is just awful. "I get tired of people not speaking English." Despicable. If you feel that way, stay in America and stay off the Race. So embarassing.

The elephant squatting was hilarious but even though it was fun, it was really a first-in, first-out task and not a good design.

Do you guys think the little guys were penalized sufficiently? I'm happy to see sabotage addressed, but only 30 minutes for not performing the task correctly? Why not make them go back and do it again?
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby Babalu on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:12 am

I think the brothers were penalized sufficiently, but I don't think they - or at least, Mark, whom I can't stand - accepted their penalties with sufficient responsibility.

Loved Mel and Mike the whole episode - they were in such good humor even when they had to be frustrated. They never lost patience with the apothecarist or whatever he was (looking at you, Jamie). I adored Mike even a little more than previously when he did a little bit of what looked like the John Cleese funny walk when the sisters asked who was behind him, and he said without any apparent stress, "No one, I'm sure." I'll miss them so much.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby PhilG on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:40 am

Geez this race is rapidly running out of people to root for...I still haven't warmed to Victor, though I know I'm in the great minority there.

I officially lost it with the "tweedles" and the redheads ("Sir! Sir! Sir!") last night.

That leaves me with Kisha/Jen and Luke/Margie, and the idea of Like/Margie winning and having to hear again about how much they "proved" is causing large clumps of hair to fall out of my head.

So I guess I'm all about Kisha and Jen...which means they'll be next to go of course.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:04 am

was it just me or was everyone else shaking their heads in wonder WHY they didn't know where they were going before they got off the plane?

I would have been in the internet cafe searching Google images are at least trying to ask the people on the plane where I was looking for.

Maybe we'll get more info as to why they waited until they landed to figure out where they were going.

So sad to see Mel & Mike to leave.

But I was so pleased they penalized the brothers for malicious play.
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Tea-time on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:48 am

AndreaInNC wrote:But I was so pleased they penalized the brothers for malicious play.

Me, too - too bad the penalty wasn't longer, although it looked like it would have had to be a couple hours to help Mel & Mike.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby Thora on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 am

Tea-time wrote:
AndreaInNC wrote:But I was so pleased they penalized the brothers for malicious play.

Me, too - too bad the penalty wasn't longer, although it looked like it would have had to be a couple hours to help Mel & Mike.

Here as well! I laughed for at least a minute or two once they got the penalty. Karma can be a bitch, and they definitely got their dose of it.

I was surprised that Jamie recognizes that she's a bitch, but she doesn't seem too sorry about it. I felt so sorry for the guy at the store, having to deal with her shrieking and yelling. I was getting stressed out just watching them on the TV. I hope they're gone soon.

So sad that Mike & Mel are gone - they were definitely my favourites. They ran a classy race.
Thora
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:52 pm

NOOOOO!!!! I wanted Mel & Mike to win! I loved them - so fun all the way through, no stress.

WHY!!! didnt Keish and Jen get a penalty? It looked like they got in a private car to find the pit stop.

And did I miss something... no roadblock? Or was it inconsequential so they didnt show it?

I bet Jamie isn't as bitchy in real life. I do like Cara, she tells Jamie like it is!

And poor Margie - you could tell she was worried about the race when she was like I DONT NEED AN AMBULANCE!
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby PhilG on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:38 pm

kelda_shelton wrote:
WHY!!! didnt Keish and Jen get a penalty? It looked like they got in a private car to find the pit stop.

I just watched it again and there was definitely some kind of insignia on whatever they were in for the last ride...maybe it was a Shared Van or something like that.

In any event, the clue said "walk, run or hire a ride" so if they paid the guy to drive them that would probably still be acceptable.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby BrianBoyko on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:55 pm

I think the "roadblock" was the Phuket Zoo - that is, from time to time, they'll substitute a "route info" for a roadblock if it's a task that would, quite frankly, just be cooler with both people doing it. Like, for example, the tiger thing.
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby cooper on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:31 am

Judging by the lack of comments in this episode thread and the lack of an update for episode 7 on the home page I take it everyone is just in shock and mourning at the loss of Mike and Mel!!!!

It definately does suck, for sure. I dont think there can have been much in it between them and Kisha and Jen either. Considering they figured out about filling the water barrells and throwing up the empty barrells simultaneously - whereas the girls just did all of one task before starting on the other - and the girls ended up walking around aimlessly for a good while looking for the entrance to the pitstop, they cant have been that far behind. Its a shame. When it came down to these two teams I really wasnt sure which one I wanted to stay in it. I like both of them. I suppose Mel and Mike were just that little bit more entertaining to watch than the girls though so it would have been nice if they'd made it. But I dont mean to say anything bad about the girls, theyve ran a good race so far, very few mistakes, no bad mouthing of other people as such, and no obnoxious behaviour (that I noticed anyway, but Im not very good at noticing these things!!)

It was funny to see Jamie's bitchiness addressed openly and onscreen after our comments about it in last weeks episode thread! Interesting that she isnt the kind of bitch that everyone just bites their tongue about and shakes their heads behind her back, but is openly a bitch and is honest about it and seems to think its hilarious!!!! As I said last week, I hadnt even noticed how bad she was until it was pointed out on here, then last night as soon as she came on screen I was watching out for it, and yep she was bitching away alright I cant deny it!! I lost the love for her a little just then but it came back when their onscreen interview came on and Cara was telling it like it is and Jamie was just having a laugh about the whole thing. So shes a delibarate bitch and she knows what shes doing, as opposed to just a moaner and a bitcher who doesnt think shes doing anything wrong and shes being hard done by. That little bit of difference makes a big difference to me so I still like her!!!

Now that we're down to five teams has anyone noticed the striking similarity in teams between this season and last. Tammy and Victor = Nick and Starr; Jamie and Cara = Jamie and Kelly (i think that was their names); Mark and Michael = Dan and Andrew; Marge and Luke = Toni and Dallas.... The only difference is Kisha and Jen are not a Ken and Tina type pairing but still....its interesting. If the trend continues it suggests Tammy and Victor will win, which is a very distinct and likely prospect at this time.

Pity about Mark and Michael, they did well to build up a really good lead there which they blew through misreading a clue and also just fooling around unnecessarily. How many times in every season does someone screw up with the "dont follow a taxi" thing. Youd think by now people would be aware of this. Still, I do enjoy this team, though Im in the minority I know. Has this issue of 'sabotage' ever come up on the race before? I dont remember anybody ever being penalised for doing something like this before but Im sure Ive seen things before where racers have tried to hide things from other racers so that they wouldnt find them.... Unfortunately I cant think of any particular example right now, but I could swear Ive seen it. Maybe Im wrong....?
cooper
bunched

Postby Rachel RSL on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:37 am

I lost the love for her a little just then but it came back when their onscreen interview came on and Cara was telling it like it is and Jamie was just having a laugh about the whole thing. So shes a delibarate bitch and she knows what shes doing

I don't think she was intentionally being a bitch. Almost all her bitchy moments have come in a time of extreme frustration (shop keeper taking his sweet ass time, cab driver disappearing, etc.) At those times, I'm sure she wasn't consciously thinking: "I'm going to be a bitch to this guy. That'll get things done faster!" The interview was obviously recorded at the Pit Stop so I find it very likely that they didn't realize how bitchy they were until they started recapping the leg during the interviews. So I can see the laughing not as "I'm proud of being a bitch and do it deliberately!" but possibly as more of "Holy crap! Was she ever bitchy!" Either way that you interpret it, I really don't mind these two. I know I would get frustrated and pissed off at the same things they do.

My favourite part of the episode was the tiger tamer...WITH ONE ARM!.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby KenF on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:30 am

I'll agree with Rachel. I don't think Jaime is intentionally being this way. Part of it is the dreaded Killer Fatigue, part of it is that she's just impatient. Jaime realizes this. Cara plays good cop to Jaime's bad cop.
KenF
taking a detour

Postby evening on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:48 am

I have to go back and watch to be sure, but didnt one of the mini-men do a pretty racist Asian imitation when he was pulling the rickshaw?

Am so glad they got penalized! It drove me crazy that race when the frat boys cancelled the cabs and didnt get penalized in any way.
evening
road blocked

Postby whereverthefk on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:37 pm

didnt one of the mini-men do a pretty racist Asian imitation when he was pulling the rickshaw?

Yep, one of the many many times I found the stupid Stuntmen irritating this episode. Totally classless. Then when they acted all irritated that they got a penalty for tampering with the Detour set-up? Bitches, PLEASE. I actually thought it should be longer than 30 min, but that's just me.

I, personally, have no patience at all for either of the Reds: Jamie, IMO, is an ass not only for her consistently bitchy, disrespectful behavior (the way she behaved toward that shopkeeper was inescuseable) -- which, btw, started (at least the "Why don't they speak ENGLISH??" bullshit did) long before KF should have set in -- but also because she is clearly aware of it and thinks it's funny or "just her", rather than completely crappy, inappropriate and something to work on. Cara -- who enables her by supporting the idea that it's amusing, rather than being embarrassed or barely even suggesting that it's not ok -- is no better. Plus, I never trust unrelated friends with exactly the same hair color. That's just weird.

I'm hoping for a Stuntmen/Reds double elim next week. What? A girl can dream!!
whereverthefk
TARfly

Next

Return to Past Seasons