14.6 - We're At War

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.6 - We're At War

Postby Rachel RSL on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Sorry, don't know if I got the episode title correct or not, I just wanted to get the thread started.

My beef with this episode is the placement of the Speed Bump. I hate when they place it towards the end of the leg. I don't mind the Yield or the Speed Bump but I really think they should be place towards the beginning or middle of a leg so it gives the penalized team a fighting chance to stay in the Race.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Re: 14.6 - We're At War

Postby macaddict on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:16 pm

Yeah, but even so, Christie and Jodi nearly caught up to Mark and Michael. I haven't decided if that means Christie and Jodi are terrific racers or if Mark and Michael suck more than I previously thought.

Meanwhile, if tonight's ep is any indication, Mel may be one of the most amazing racers ever!
macaddict
road blocked

Postby Kauna on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:21 pm

Mel definately qualifies as one of the most amazing racers as far as "heart" goes, that's for sure.
Kauna
yielded

Postby Kanuck on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:27 pm

Camels and elephants and monkeys, oh my!

The blondes seemed to be a fair bit behind the other teams in starting out (?airport delay), otherwise I suspect they may have passed the brothers. They (the girls) otherwise did quite well, which may be because there was no self-navigation required, but the sudden mentions of the daughter, etc. made me suspect that they were getting the losers edit.

The whiny redhead was even more of a whiny princess tonight, wow. I suppose the 30 hours of traveling didn't help but even so, she was by far the most annoying racer yet again.

Mel's combination of determination and observation (noticing the huge stack of baskets, hello!) was impressive.
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby BrianBoyko on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:22 am

My friend Tami and I were speculating on a winner, we both picked Mel & Mike. It seems to me that the best predictor of success in the race is how long you can get along with your partner without going into screaming KF territory. Nick & Starr may have been physical powerhouses but they also got along great, for example, while Preston & Jennifer were bickering before they reached the first cluebox and ended up out on day one.

Tami and Victor tend to place better on days when they're working as a team, not so quickly when they're not working as a team. Mark & Michael aren't too bad when it comes to teamwork, but they're terrible at race strategy (Seriously, guys. You picked a detour where there was a grueling physical task, and then a "haystack" task - even if it plays to what you believe is your strengths, you were basically asked to do two "detours" instead of one.) I almost get the feeling that they didn't watch the show much before coming on.

Compare that to Luke & Margie - Luke has watched the show. Luke spotted the haystack task (the pies) and urged Margie against it. Margie, who probably hasn't watched the show as much as Luke, went for the pies.

It turns out both were okay choices, but all things being equal, the "haystack" detour will almost always take longer than the other one.
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby PhilG on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:22 am

Thanks to stupid basketball my DVR only recorded the first 5 minutes of the episode...I take it the gals didn't get over their handicap from finishing last last week; who won the leg?
PhilG
road blocked

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:09 am

I haven't decided if that means Christie and Jodi are terrific racers or if Mark and Michael suck more than I previously thought.
Nothing against Christie and Jodi since they did almost catch up but I think its because Mark and Michael really really suck.

It seems to me that the best predictor of success in the race is how long you can get along with your partner without going into screaming KF territory.
Not necessarily. Flo had a really bad case of the KF and Flo and Zach won their season.

Yeah - Mike and Mel came in 2nd!!
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby JenEx on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:28 am

Nothing against Christie and Jodi since they did almost catch up but I think its because Mark and Michael really really suck.

They do. They are bad at directions and bad at choosing detours (NEVER go for the haystack when you have another option! Did they learn nothing from the red bean?) They are still in it on pure luck, I think.

OTOH, Mel is just about my favorite racer ever at this point. I want him to adopt me.
JenEx
TARfly

Postby KenF on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 am

M. Darcy wrote:
I haven't decided if that means Christie and Jodi are terrific racers or if Mark and Michael suck more than I previously thought.

Mark & Michael seem to get lost every week. This week, they did not, but it appears they veer off or get bogged down to a point where they almost never recover.
KenF
taking a detour

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:20 am

The whiny redhead was even more of a whiny princess tonight, wow.

SERIOUSLY. I had actually started to like them when they were developing a friendship with Luke and Margie, esp since it just seemed like a genuine friendship/alliance, rather than that they felt bad for Luke or something stupid like that. But that one Red with her incessant "WHY DON'T THEY SPEAK ENGLISH?!?!?" ignorant crap (which, p.s., can't be attributed to KF because she started it a while ago. Also: nearly everyone in India speaks English, until you get to the remote villages, so there are FAR worse places she could be. So to sum up: Shut it, Red.) has completely turned that around for me. Eff them. I hope they get eliminated. Soon. Right after the stoopid Stuntmen, who seeeeeriously bug.

OTOH, Mel is just about my favorite racer ever at this point. I want him to adopt me.

Get in line, sister!!! I've been begging for Mel adoption (can you imagine? Plus, you'd get Mike as a brother! Bonus!) ever since he refused to ask God to change the wind for a stupid reality show!! When he was saying last night that it was a win for him just to hear Mike be so proud of him, I literally yelled "CAUSE YOU DID ROCK IT, DUDE!!!" I freaking LOVED it when he noticed the baskets right away -- any time brains/care/READING THE DANG CLUE triumph over brawn and/or beauty is a good time, IMO. White and Whiter FTW!!!

Awwww.... Luke thinks his mom's a badass, too. Cute!!!

Finally, like the little geek girl I am, I completely Squee!!-ed when they had to go to that puppet store in Jaipur. As Doug and others who have recently been in my guest room can attest, I totally have puppets from India just like that!! YAAAAAAY!!!

(BTW: I hope they stay in India (my favorite TAR location) a little longer, but it looks like they're moving on already, based on the previews. Stupid Thailand. :p )
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby rockhpi on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:33 am

Preston & Jennifer were bickering before they reached the first cluebox and ended up out on day one

Yeah but Wil and Tara were steps away from winning it all!

That whiny cheerleader gets so nasty so fast and somehow it's much more infuriating when someone physically attractive has such an ugly personality (also: Jen from Nate & Jen).

Once again the two teams in the back were the two I didn't care for much. I love this Race!

My dad is 69 and could have rocked that camel task too. He's in far better shape than me.

It's good that they're streamlining the Race editing, but I also don't feel the adventure of the Race...the "Wow! Look where they are!" factor.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby jer2002 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:36 am

I was quite bored during last night's episode. Maybe I'm just burning out on the show or something.
jer2002
taking a detour

Postby BrianBoyko on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:42 am

jer2002 wrote:I was quite bored during last night's episode. Maybe I'm just burning out on the show or something.

It's also the 8th time they've been to India and the third time in as many races.
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:02 pm

I am just glad the Speedbump task was something that Christi & Jodi will remember the rest of their lives. I mean if you had to get eliminated over something, I'd much rather say I was eliminated cause I had to paint an elephant!

That task looked way kewl!
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:49 pm

It's also the 8th time they've been to India and the third time in as many races.

As far as I'm concerned, they can go to India every single season. It's nearly always interesting, there are a ton of different regions, places to visit and things to do (I'd love it if they went up to Kashmir, but I'm not sure if they ever would, for security reasons), and it really tests the racers' strength and fortitude -- both physical AND emotional -- as they deal with their tasks and the shock of their environment. Classic KF location.

My only complaint this time: No public transportation. That's usually where the REAL meltdowns happen!! ;)

ETA: Agreed, Andrea -- I totally told mr. wtf last night, "I wanna paint an elephant!!!"
whereverthefk
TARfly

Next

Return to Past Seasons