14.5 - She's a Little Scared of Stick, But I Think She'll Be

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.5 - She's a Little Scared of Stick, But I Think She'll Be

Postby miri on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:19 pm

No one started the ep thread? You guys get off your asses and start the thread when I'm not around. ;) Sorry, I didn't see the ep tonight.
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 14.5 - She's a Little Scared of Stick, But I Think She'll Be

Postby PatentlyTAR on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:49 pm

Ok, never been the first to post. I thought this was a silly, but fun episode. I was more than 90% expecting a non-elimination, so that wasn't a surprise. I kind of wish we could have seen more scenery on the transsiberian railroad, but I guess that trip was at night. The snowplow was a cool vehicle, which would have been enjoyable to drive. The bride thing would have been a little better if we knew whether these were real weddings or just mock weddings. They did seem awfully happy to see each other, though I assumed that the weddings were just staged. The underwear running was something that would make me run at full speed, not just jog. I would have thought more teams would run faster, since it was only a couple of miles (though it was probably quite icy).
PatentlyTAR
yielded

Postby BrianBoyko on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:40 am

I think this was a good NEL placement - whenever there's a 100% team bunching that was planned by the producers (like the ONE flight, or the ONE train, or massive HOO bunching) I often feel that racers who were in the lead were given a major disadvantage. To me, this is probably the best place for an NEL.

Secondly, is there anyone who doesn't think that the final Route Info or Roadblock for the race will have something to do with the different types of music at the pitstop? Think about it.

Switzerland had yodeling at the pitstop.
Austria had a guy dressed as Mozart at the pitstop,
Bucharest had the pan flute at the pit stop,
Kraznoyarsk had the Theatre of Musical Comedy,
Novosibirisk had the ballet.
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby KenF on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:57 am

Third straight week for drunken locals. I love it. :D
KenF
taking a detour

Postby PhilG on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:51 am

BrianBoyko wrote: is there anyone who doesn't think that the final Route Info or Roadblock for the race will have something to do with the different types of music at the pitstop? Think about it.

Switzerland had yodeling at the pitstop.
Austria had a guy dressed as Mozart at the pitstop,
Bucharest had the pan flute at the pit stop,
Kraznoyarsk had the Theatre of Musical Comedy,
Novosibirisk had the ballet.

Whoa--good call. I bet you're right.

Am I the only one who found that little girl who was doing the greeting just a little scary?

Awfully nice of the producers to allow the one gal who wasn't wearing underwear to put some on--wonder if that same option was offered to the gal in the thong and she just didn't have anything else?

I think this was the first time ever they didn't show us all the racers' starting times...guess since they were immediately bunched it as irrelevant what time they all started.

A little too much relying on other people last night for my taste (directions from and/or following strangers).
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Tea-time on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:42 am

PhilG wrote:I think this was the first time ever they didn't show us all the racers' starting times...guess since they were immediately bunched it as irrelevant what time they all started.

I noticed that, too, as I'm usually curious to see how far apart the first and last teams were. I also noticed that the arrival times for the first teams weren't stated, either, so I wonder if the length of the pit stop was adjusted to make sure all teams would leave in time for the one train a day.
Tea-time
road blocked

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:50 am

Has Phil ever had to basically jump up and down and yell "I am here!" to racers for checking in at the pitstop before?

Still love Mike and Mel - gotta love a team that picks the detour on how fun it is.

The churches were really pretty. I'm glad the FA messed up so we got to see a second church.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby bluelena on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:25 am

This one is a keeper just for PHIL IN HIS UNDERPANTS!
bluelena
TARfly

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:31 am

This one is a keeper just for PHIL IN HIS UNDERPANTS!

AGREED. As soon as they showed the super-closeup of Phil!'s phace, I totally knew we were going to get a phull-body pic. WOOT!!!

(So, of course, I made Doug rewind and show it again. Only once, though, out of deference to Mr. Doug (who, bizarrely, doesn't seem to find Phil! attractive, and would much rather see Luke in his skivvies) and Mr. WTF (who is, well, heterosexual and would much rather see ME in my skivvies!!).

Anybody else get as uncomfortable as we did watching Keisha incessantly hit on the Russian bride in the back of their car, btw? I couldn't tell which one was happier to see their "groom" (I use quotes because I swear one of those "grooms" was a chick) -- Keisha's captive or the poor freezing one stuck meandering around with the Air Hostesses (love that term) and their dumb roller bags...
Last edited by whereverthefk on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:33 am

Mr. Doug (who, bizarrely, doesn't seem to find Phil! attractive, and would much rather see Luke in his skivvies)
I understand the words but put together in that order, they just don't make any sense.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby AndreaInNC on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:49 am

bluelena wrote:This one is a keeper just for PHIL IN HIS UNDERPANTS!

thank goodness I have this ep on the DVR ...
AndreaInNC
taking a detour

Postby Babalu on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:50 am

whereverthefk wrote:I swear one of those "grooms" was a chick

I thought so, too, wtf!

I'm rooting hard for Mel and Mike because I love them and haven't particularly warmed up to any of the other remaining teams. Second favorite is probably Tammy/Victor because their smiles are so gorgeous. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Tammy is the most beautiful woman ever on TAR.

My least favorite racer this season is Mark - what a self-congratulatory prig.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby PhilG on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:58 am

Count me among those who thought the last groom we saw was a woman--and among those who were pissed off the thong was pixelated.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:38 pm

is there anyone who doesn't think that the final Route Info or Roadblock for the race will have something to do with the different types of music at the pitstop?

I don't think that at all. That seems just way too obscure. Plus, the theatre and ballet don't really count as "music".

I don't know that I have any favourites so far this season but Tammy & Victor are definitely one of my favourite teams. I like the fact that they actually RAAAAAAACE! And I see nothing shady about them not waiting for the other teams. They didn't do anything to sabotage them, they weren't rude about it, they just got directions and went on their way. It's a RACE! How can you be angry at another team not waiting for you in a RACE!? Plus, they really seem to be enjoying all the different experiences.

On the flip side, HATE the stuntmen! They're just extremely unpleasant. I wouldn't say they're rude or anything but I get no enjoyment whatsoever from watching them.

Also love Mike and his dad!

Has Phil ever had to basically jump up and down and yell "I am here!" to racers for checking in at the pitstop before?

I'm pretty sure that's never happened before. I got the impression that maybe they were only allowed to be in that one top part of the theatre so the Racers weren't allowed to go down by the dancers, and that's why Phil was trying to get their attention.

HATED the Roadblock! What was the point of making them run around in their underwear? Give them little outfits or something, fine, but was it really necessary for that girl to run around the streets of Russia in her thong? I watch Survivor to get my fill of pixelated butts, I don't want that mixed into my TAR.

Oh, and that last groom? Totally a chick!!!
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:41 pm

What I really liked was that they didn't waste any time showing any of the teams coming up to discover that everyone was going to be bunched by the train. Just the first two teams showed up at the same time, they revealed the bunching, then immediately cut to the train leaving. Seems they are doing a lot better about showing things that matter/are humorous rather than petty travel drama that doesn't matter in the end.
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Next

Return to Past Seasons