14.4 - It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.4 - It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots

Postby miri on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Not that big!
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 14.3 - It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots

Postby PhilG on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:55 pm

I've always hated U-turns/Yields etc...I have nothing against a team for using them, I just wish they weren't part of the Race.

Win or lose on your own merits.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby DoubleGemini on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:46 pm

So it seems to me that Margie isn't as aware of Luke's capabilities as we thought. I kept yelling at the TV (and my husband), "He's not confused! He knows he needs a Russian author, he just doesn't know Chekhov!" I was glad when he finally went through enough letter combinations to get the answer...he was definitely frustrated.
DoubleGemini
the world is waiting

Postby Chappie on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:53 am

I was fully expecting that it would be a non-elimination round, since they had a U-Turn. Was surprised when it wasn't. It was definately a rough set of tasks to have the U-turn used on tonight, but I thought that it was used appropriately - ie. to knock out a team that could be a real threat on physical challenges.

It appeared to me that more teams were willing to use the U-turn since it was blind. If it stays in the game, I think I prefer it this way.
Chappie
at the start line

Postby evening on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:55 am

I really felt for Luke this time! But, I dont believe for a minute that all those teams who had no clue who Chekhov was arrived at the answer without some assistance from someone.
evening
road blocked

Postby Rachel RSL on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:36 am

I don't mind the U-Turn but I think it should be placed near the start of the leg, in order to give the U-Turned team a fighting chance. Similarly, I think there should only be a U-Turn on legs where the Detours are ones that can de done in a reasonable amount of time. It was obvious that Chris and Amanda were screwed as soon as they got U-Turned because that wood stacking task is something that takes WAY too long for a team to be able to get back in the Race. Which kind of sucks.

Chris and Amanda seemed like nice people but, just like the couple who were eliminated last week (who were so invisible, I can't even remember their names), they made for boring television.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby macaddict on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 am

I'm just happy that someone finally accepted that a U-Turn or a Yield is part of the game and didn't spend the next half hour apologizing for it. Margie and Luke identified Amanda and Chris as a threat and they made a strategic play.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby corkystclair on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:55 am

I love the mind game the anonymous U-Turn can potentially play on a team. We got a glimpse of Amanda trying to figure out which team could possibly want to U-Turn them, which could be deadly if a team was weak enough to let that break their concentration. I love when the psychology of a race element plays into how well a team races. In this case, though, I think we didn't get a chance to see whether or not Amanda and Kris would get psyched out to the point of poor racing, because like Rachel said, the Detour tasks too so long to accomplish.
corkystclair
gal friday & clay maniac

Postby PhilG on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:14 am

macaddict wrote:I'm just happy that someone finally accepted that a U-Turn or a Yield is part of the game and didn't spend the next half hour apologizing for it. Margie and Luke identified Amanda and Chris as a threat and they made a strategic play.

They apologized plenty for it as they were doing it--and in the car afterwards.

Like I said, I never have an issue with teams using them; I just think the race would be just as entertaining--and a little fairer--without them.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby [sic] on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:21 am

Rachel RSL wrote:I don't mind the U-Turn but I think it should be placed near the start of the leg, in order to give the U-Turned team a fighting chance. Similarly, I think there should only be a U-Turn on legs where the Detours are ones that can de done in a reasonable amount of time.

I liked the U-Turn placement for the opposite reason -- part of the problem with the U-Turn in the past was that it was never particularly relevant since there was no real consequence. Here, it gave a marked advantage to teams that do well on a difficult task. One of the problems with the show had been that it didn't really matter how you performed on a given leg, as long as you weren't last. I do think, though, that the producers intended the U-Turn to come off a fully-bunched flight, which would've meant it would be available to the teams that did better on this Detour.
[sic]
the world is waiting

Postby rockhpi on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:34 am

I wondered if they made it blind because so many people skip the first Yield/U-Turn because they don't want to make enemies early in the Race. I felt bad for Amanda and Chris though because I thought they were going to go pretty far and they didn't lose by bad racing. I found myself rooting against the little guys at the end!

I loved the old local guy getting action off all the hot chicks. I bet that was a lot of excitement for a Siberian town!
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Margie and Luke identified Amanda and Chris as a threat and they made a strategic play.
Or Luke just wanted to make sure the hot cheerleaders stayed around another week.

I'm surprised that some of them had trouble with Chekhov - even if you don't know the playwright, there is that other famous Russian named Pavel Chekov - just spelled a little differently.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby PhilG on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:15 pm

That's what they said at the time--they were buying Jamie and Cara more time by setting Kris and Amanda back.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby rockhpi on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:25 pm

I believe I would have gotten Chekhov pretty easily. My g/f is fairly well-read but had never heard of him and developed instant hate for Victor when he said "I mean, who doesn't know Chekhov?" I didn't think it was that obscure but then, to quote Rosie Perez in White Men Can't Jump, "I'm filled with more useless goddamn information than anyone on this f*cking planet!"
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby evening on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Maybe its a generational thing, but Chekhov was pretty much required reading in US public high schools. I was right up there with Victor....

Although I can hear a defender of "no child left behind" saying "who cares if American school children know stuff furreners wrote?!"
evening
road blocked

Next

Return to Past Seasons