14.1 - Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

14.1 - Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me

Postby miri on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Who cut the cheese?
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 14.1 - Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me

Postby SeaBreeze341 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:00 pm

WTG Margie and Luke! I have to admit that while I had a feeling that they would do well, as in 2nd thru 4th, to place 1st out of 11 teams is amazing. Margie on Luke's awesome run this episode could not have been said any better.

As much as I didn't like the change in the font and the opening montage, actually loved it. It's a refreshing change, as well as an upgrade. Speaking of an upgrade, the new maps are, IMO, spectacular!

As for "more of the same", well, I think I'm going to miss Preston and Jennifer. Though to keep with the norm, too bad they actually didn't try to beat Christie and Jodi and possibly last throughout the race.
SeaBreeze341
fast forwarding

Postby BrianBoyko on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Loved it! The changes were absolutely to the benefit of the show - and it really does feel like a whole new show!

I took notes (hey, I'm a TAR15 applicant, so if I'm going to apply, I might as well prepare) and will post them as soon as I write them up!
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby yikes on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Not sure on the new fangled logo and theme music, but the maps were a definite plus. And they FINALLY got rid of the tedious airport expositions that mean next to nothing on the first leg. I loved that they had to rely on both flights AND train schedules to make it into town.

Also, Phil's turtlenecks make their return. Hooray!
yikes
fast forwarding

Postby rockhpi on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Very positive about this season! The graphics department got an overhaul, they skipped most of the airport footage and the bickering team was sent home first. In fact, the teams I liked were right at the front.

Ok, I have to get this out of the way because I'm apparently evil. For a brief moment, before Phil said "GO", I wondered if Luke would take off early. I know - I'm awful! I like you, Margie and Luke! But editors, don't turn his deafness into Ron's captivity in Iraq. They beat it pretty hard in the opener. Let's show that hearing-impaired people are just like the rest of us by not focusing entirely on it.

I loved that you had to listen to the yodelers to find the pit stop! And one clue was almost a clue instead of directions (the picture of the dam). Keep it up, Race!
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby BrianBoyko on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Brian's Notes:

Overall - much tighter editing (might loosen up as the time goes on and teams get eliminated) but this also gave the show a more frenetic feel. I get the feeling that this might actually be the first season where the producers "get" that the race is as important, if not more important, than the relationships.

The video quality was very good (watching on HDTV with rabbit ears) even though it was just SD-digital quality. I'm thinking that they might have improved their cameras; perhaps even recording HD but broadcasting in SD because they may have HD cameras at the beginning and in Europe, but third-world cameramen might not have HD gear, and they need it to match.

--------------

Starting with the teams being transported rather than with Phil - a small, subtle change which I think worked, then Phil goes into his spiel.

Good, quick intros.

Okay, new titles. I like them, but mostly because they are new titles - more drums, more bass, chunky guitar. If the original theme seemed ripped from Gladiator, this one seems ripped from Iron Man.

Here's a change that I think is long overdue. Rather than racing to the airport to get the first flight, the real question is: Which combination of flight-and-train will get you there the fastest? This wasn't just speed - it was navigational brains as well! I love it! Looking forward to it in further seasons!

The split-up and train rides also allowed for seeing two countries for the price of one - and the split screen did work, in my opinion, to show the two teams racing.

Preston and Jennifer were shown to be the Bickersons for this race, establishing them as "heels" (in pro-wrestling terminology) while Margie & Luke were established as the "faces" - everyone else is too jumbled up, I think, to really establish themselves - it's an 11 team race with 45 minutes to show, so we'll get to know 'em better as time goes on.

One thing that I really liked was how quickly the race turned to the "equalizer" moment - that is, no matter how far ahead or behind you are, you're -really- fighting over 30 minutes - and everyone got to spend time together and mingle at the campsite. This is a great alternative to HOO bunching; and is pretty much the standard for the first leg.

Giving the teams only the picture of the dam as the clue is a throw-back to Season 1, when most of the clues were like that. I liked it.

Bungee Road Block: Been done, but never this early.

We see more split screen as early teams board trains and later teams still take on the Bungee Road Block. Additionally, the time jumps with the clock both cut out a lot of "we've seen it" bungee jump footage AND gives people an idea of what each placement actually means - each jump takes about 7 minutes, so teams are now 7 minutes apart.

I loved the "leaves early but arrives later" train.

What's there not to love about the cheese, except that the Virginians were the only ones who seemed to realize that you could turn the cheese into a sled. My sister (who is my partner for TAR 16 should Chris & I fail to get onto TAR 15) suggested that it might have been feasible to strap all 200 pounds of cheese on a sled, then use clothing to tie a leash, so you could drag it down the hill behind you, while remaining upright (the Virginians still had to push it down crawling.)

The laughing locals absolutely made this task; reality TV can't have a laugh track, this was the next best thing.

Using the yodelers to find the pitstop instead of having a local greeter might be a weird change, but I'm glad there was a "mini-task" involved in finding the pitstop.

Phil was in top form, signing the team placement number, as well as popping the eyebrow on request.

And Preston and Jennifer say goodbye, so we will hopefully have a full season without the Bickersons.

Don't get me wrong, they seem like nice people, but I just don't want to see people arguing on this show...

And those are my notes.
BrianBoyko
yielded

Postby Abiz on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Why didn't they just let the cheese roll down the hill? Seems like you could stand at the top and just let four of them roll down, then retrieve them and stack them up....

Fun task! It's no fun walking on steep muddy hills, but so fun to watch!
Abiz
taking a detour

Postby Northwoods101 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Great new opening, I was so into this show I didnt even notice the change of music. This episode should have been titled "Cheese: the revenge of the ATCs" It will be funny to see all the racer who fell have dirty buns for the remainer of the race! Margie and Luke are inspirational I hope they go a long way.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby tallskinnylatte on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:14 pm

I didn't think it was possible for me to love Phil any more...but when he signed "You are team number 1" at the Pit Stop, I just gushed. Love.him.

Great start to the Race! Had to pause the Tivo a couple of times during the cheese challenge just to catch my breath from giggling. That was good stuff.
tallskinnylatte
taking a detour

Postby macaddict on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Abiz wrote:Why didn't they just let the cheese roll down the hill?
I was thinking the same thing! Have none of these people seen Plinko on TPIR?
I'm so happy Mike and Mel made it! I was very worried for them when Mel pulled his groin muscle. That must have been excruciating.
macaddict
road blocked

Postby cutecouple on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Great to see the show back.

I was wondering if any teams thought to go back and forth across the hill, so that the overall path would have been less steep.
cutecouple
bunched

Postby commodore64 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:04 am

tallskinnylatte wrote:I didn't think it was possible for me to love Phil any more...but when he signed "You are team number 1" at the Pit Stop, I just gushed. Love.him.

that was my favorite part too.
commodore64
yielded

Postby Thora on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:21 am

commodore64 wrote:
tallskinnylatte wrote:I didn't think it was possible for me to love Phil any more...but when he signed "You are team number 1" at the Pit Stop, I just gushed. Love.him.

that was my favorite part too.

Mine as well! Glad that my favourite teams were in the top.

So long Preston & Jennifer. Didn't care too much for them, or the flight attendants, so I didn't care too much about who got Philiminated.

From the way Phil was talking at the beginning, it sounds as if all the legs are going to be eliminations. Could it just be my addled brain, or are there no non-eliminations?
Thora
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby theschnauzers on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:28 am

Phil used a formulation he's used before "the Race is composed of a number of legs, and at the end of the legs are pit stops. Eight of these pit stops are elimination points...."
Meaning they're not telling the Racers how many legs there are, not that all the legs end in eliminations. It leaves open the possiblility of either or both NELs or uberlegs.
theschnauzers
taking a detour

Postby lucinator on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:37 am

I loved the plane/train combo to the first destination - brings more strategy into it. The cheese task was awesome! It had me both laughing and wincing. I wonder how many people ended up with sprained knees or ankles. As much as I hated Steve, I liked his strategy of using his cheese-carrying-thingy as a sled.
lucinator
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess
official TARfly hugger & modest goddess

Next

Return to Past Seasons