13.11 - You Look Like Peter Pan

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

13.11 - You Look Like Peter Pan

Postby Kanuck on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:22 pm

Yay!
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Re: 13.11 - You Look Like Peter Pan

Postby PhilG on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:23 am

I suspect the finish wasn't as close as the editing seemed...they were at the same clue box, both looking for cabs, and neither saw the other? Doesn't seem likely.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:07 am

Now that was a finale worthy of the Amazing Race! That was an staggering amount of running around and clues to find, and activities to do (the memory task was a dusy!)
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby mynameishunter on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:53 am

GO NICK & STAR! WOOOOOT!
mynameishunter
the world is waiting

Postby rockhpi on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:04 am

The positives:
*Nick and Starr won - they deserved it, they were a fantastic team (I'll be updating the Fantasy/Whimsy Thread with their results!). Ken & Tina would have been deserving as well, but I just don't like her at all.

*The multiple puzzly, non-straightforward tasks in the final city (memory game, having to figure out what the donut shop was, etc.).

The negatives:
*Cabs. I didn't want Dandrew to win (they would have been statistically the worst winners of any Race by far) but introducing cab luck into the final leg still irritates.

*Editing. Every shot of Ken & Tina was unpleasant and every shot of Nick & Starr almost had halos over their heads. I like them and I'm glad they won, but I really felt the editors hitting me over the head with their wonderfulness pretty early in the episode.

I guess I'll throw in length but I don't know if it's a positive or negative. The show seemed to go by very quickly and thus had less impact, but it's good that they didn't throw in a useless stop in Hawaii where everyone caught the same plane to the final city. I still think they could construct a two-hour final leg that didn't have non-elims and still be compelling. Maybe if the leg is too long you risk one team getting really far ahead and killing the tension. Overall, a very good finale!
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby PhilG on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:16 am

Looked like Nick & Starr started about 5 hours before Ken and Tina...which makes you wonder how much further behind them Toni and Dallas were; if it was a couple of hours that would explain why Phil stopped them from coming to the mat.
PhilG
road blocked

Postby Thora on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:07 am

So glad that Nick and Starr won! It was sad to notice that Toni & Dallas weren't at the finish line. That's gotta suck.

I was a bit worried during the memory task, as the camera kept panning to the picture that Starr kept holding onto. I thought for sure they'd be penalized time-wise for that mistake (not putting it back, and only looking at one at a time), but obviously it didn't make a difference.

Even though Ken & Tina have seriously bugged me for most of the season, it was sweet to see them put their rings back on at the end. Good luck to them in making their marriage work.

Overall it was a great finale, and a real nail-biter for me, which I love.
Thora
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby cooper on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:17 am

W ell I didnt really enjoy it to be honest. First of all, I read that Toni and Dallas interview that was linked to a few days ago and clever Dallas gave the whole thing away by his "million dollar question" comment about Starr. What the hell was he thinking saying that? Like nobody would get it. Duh! (Nice one Dallas!) So anyway it was obvious who was going to win which is never good for a finale.

Also, although Dan and Andrew never had a snowballs chance in hell of winning, getting lumbered with the worst taxi driver in the whole city was another major suspense killer. Why are there taxi drivers who dont know the way
around the city they work in?? Ridiculous. I know Dandrew wouldnt have been able to win even with the best taxi driver in the city, but it would have made the actual episode a bit more interesting if they;d at least been in the pack.

I thought Ken and Tina deserved the win more than Nick and Starr who were just too preppy and annoying for me all season.

Why didnt they put the memory task as the last challenge before running to the finish mat, like with the memory challenge last season? I know it probably offers editing more scope for creating a dramatic finale if they have lots of running and taxi jumping as the last thing to do but it really negates the whole winning of the race down to taxi luck and traffic which is crap after all theyve gone through. I think having that final big challenge just before the finish line is a more fitting way to win the race, although I guess it only works if there are at least 2 teams working on it at the same time and its hard to take that risk. In this case though with KEn and Tina and Nick and Starr neck and neck at that task it would have made brilliant viewing.
Oh well, it is a competition and competitions dont always go the way you want them to!

Theres always next season., which isnt that far away.

Happy Christmas eveyrone!
cooper
bunched

Postby rockhpi on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:27 am

Dallas gave the whole thing away by his "million dollar question" comment

I read a lot of people who said that and I just think "That's the million dollar question" is a fairly common phrase. Yes, it turned out to be true, but I didn't think that was a huge spoiler. I think the editing of the show was a far bigger spoiler...it Nick and Starr seemed to be getting the winner's edit about 15 minutes in.
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby OneAnne on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 am

I thought Nick totally looked like Peter Pan: I'll have to remember to use that pose when I go zip-lining at Whistler later this winter (and Ken's upside-down was pretty awsome too).

I was glad Nick and Star won over Ken and Tina - like many, she just grated on my nerves all season.

I haddn't seen any spoilers for where the race ended but could tell in the previews that it was somewhere in the northwest: I spent a lot of time in Portland this summer so it was almost as fun as seeing them race around the streets of Seattle would have been... and the editing was excellent.
OneAnne
bunched

Postby kelda_shelton on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:43 pm

really enjoyed the final! Cried at tina and ken and the rings.. I'm getting emotional in my old age!
kelda_shelton
bunched

Postby evening on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:53 am

TAR has officially jumped the shark for me. Completely boring end to a boring season. Of course, I will watch again but not with the same enthusiasm I used to have.
evening
road blocked

Postby Rachel RSL on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:47 pm

Isn't "Jumping The Shark" when a tv show does some crazy stunt in order to gain ratings? If that's the case, it jumped the shark back in season 8 with that horrid family edition.
Rachel RSL
Has no patience for morons
Has no patience for morons

Postby whereverthefk on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:41 pm

For my money, it was with the Casting of the Romber back in Seas 7.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby PhilG on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:28 am

Rachel RSL wrote:Isn't "Jumping The Shark" when a tv show does some crazy stunt in order to gain ratings? If that's the case, it jumped the shark back in season 8 with that horrid family edition.

No; Jumping the Shark refers to the moment when a show's quality begins its eventual decline to oblivion. Doesn't have to be a stunt; it could just be a casting change that causes it--or, in the case of West Wing, Aaron Sorkin leaving the show.

At the time I thought the Family Edition was TAR's "JTS" moment, but IMO it has rebounded quite nicely from that debacle. I don't believe the show has jumped yet.
PhilG
road blocked

Next

Return to Past Seasons