13.9 - That Is Studly

Relive the glories of TARs 1 through 21 here.

13.9 - That Is Studly

Postby miri on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:54 pm

Discuss
miri
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic
neurotic compulsive insomniac chocoholic

Re: 13.9 - That Is Studly

Postby Babalu on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:30 am

"I'm sorry to tell you.....................that you are both still in the race."

Oh, me, too, Phil, me, too.
Babalu
gal friday & chief lei person

Postby Jeepin'G on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:03 am

The non-departure of Dandrew is not bad news. Who else would provide the rare triple bald snarking at a detour? At the same time one provided what could be the worse display of marching I have ever seen (and I was in marching band, I've seen bad marching. I think Leonard 'Gomer Pyle' from the movie Full Metal Jacket could have picked up marching faster than that.) I mean, they had the entire Russian Army laughing at them (I was ROTFL!) Then, one thinks he is doing a better job at lifting 50 lb sacks of flour than an ex-NFL player who is still in shape. Then to top things off, they beat a Russian cabbie out of part of his fare. How often does that happen, and is the Russian Mafia now on their tail? No, they could not allow the comedic genius of Dan and Andrew to depart TAR so soon.
Jeepin'G
at the start line

Postby OneAnne on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:37 am

I was sure it was going to be a non-elim leg, so my heart skipped a beat (of joy) when Phil said "I'm sorry to tell you...". I will say I enjoyed Dandrew more this episode tho, because 1) the marching was so bad and 2) they seemed to display some self-deprecating humor during their interviews. And then when the previews showed their Speedbump for next week I thought sweet, the producers are going to toture them a little bit before they (hopefully) go.
OneAnne
bunched

Postby Loraxe on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:43 am

Then to top things off, they beat a Russian cabbie out of part of his fare. How often does that happen, and is the Russian Mafia now on their tail?

I was kind of expecting to hear about a bullet in the head, for sure, you just don't stiff a Russian cabbie.

The performance at the flour carrying kind of stunned me. I am not sure I could have done it at all, and all those guys rocked it. Even the whiner.

Also intrigued about the all night shoe store at the Kazahkstan airport.
Loraxe
fast forwarding

Postby M. Darcy on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:01 am

It was strange - in Washington DC it started on time but in Baltimore, it started 15 minuts late.

Its interesting that production wouldn't let them go back to get their shoes. I wonder if its the rule that you can't return to places or the two of them were really annoying production.

As soon as Phil didn't tell Toni and Dallas they were in the F3, I knew it was non-elimination.
M. Darcy
philpostle

Postby Ray on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 am

Great episode - I reveled both in Toni/Dallas' victory, as well as Dandrew's (especially Dan's) pathetic performance at the Detour. Who else could make the Russian Army laugh at a basic marching skill? Even Andrew, who's not that great in shape marched better than he did.

I'm glad Nick and Starr aren't first anymore - it's time someone else had a shot of getting first place rather than the siblings. Speaking of which, Moscow really did them in. The language barrier, clueless drivers - the only thing that saved them from last place was really Dandrew's absymal racing. Swapping detours 3 times? Somehow I don't think that even happened in the race, taking into account Adam and Rebecca's multiple detour swaps in AR6.

At the end, when Andrew said how people like seeing the underdog win, I laughed. Loudly. Hardly anyone likes them - the reason they want them to stay is because they know they can beat Dandrew, since they're so inept at doing tasks most of the time. And secondly, they're not exactly endearing either. Nancy and Emily were underdogs. Meredith and Gretchen were underdogs. People that are typically endearing would be underdogs. Whereas bumbling fools like them? Not so much.

Next week - yikes! Whoever loses the passports and the money are gonna be out of the race for sure! I wonder who it is? I hope it's not Toni and Dallas...
Ray
yielded

Postby macaddict on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:13 am

My best guess as to why the producers didn't let them retrieve their shoes is that once a leg is finished, you cannot leave the pit stop until you start the next leg. Imagine if a team left the pit stop and got lost, arrested, run over by a truck? And those are all very distinct possibilities with Dan and Andrew.

Meanwhile, is there a name for whatever is wrong with Dan? I mean, who, other than someone who suffers from a debilitating syndrome, cannot walk and move their arms -- not their shoulders -- in rhythm? Jebus, can you imagine what it must look like when he attempts walking and chewing gum at the same time?
macaddict
road blocked

Postby Northwoods101 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:30 am

Was the hue on my Tv off or did Tinas' hair still have a green tint on the top? I have to give them credit for a great comeback, and that Tina didnt whine! Shocking to see how quickly Starr went to the negative well when things weren't going her way, maybe its the KF. Hurray for Dallas and Mom for finally winning a leg and going into the last legs strong note. Thanks to the name tags on the uniforms I finally know that Dan is the douche of team Dandrew. Of course he had to get he more expensive shoes and later complain that they shouldnt have gotten shoes in the first place. Classy of him to just throw the hotel slippers away in the middle of the airport too. I wonder if the new, non-broken in shoes will give them blisters? Earth to Andrew, people like to cheer for the underdog when the leaders are jerks, sorry but Dan has worn out any good will that people have for your team. Maybe if he "marches" the rest of the race will he earn some goodwill.
Northwoods101
road blocked

Postby PepeNY on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:51 am

Tina's hair was most definitely still green.

PepeJr LOVES Dan & Andrew and was very happy with the outcome last night. The sad part is, it doesn't matter how bad they raced in the past, they only have to win one leg to win the Race! I won't be amused if that happens, but they could get lucky, like they have in the past.
PepeNY
gal friday & official burro spotter

Postby rockhpi on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:37 am

I don't think we've seen any KF yet (which is surprising) so I was willing to give Starr the benefit of the doubt (plus I'd like them to win). I don't hate Dan & Andrew but I think if they go out, it'd be one of the most deserving final 3s in a long time...it's the final 3 that makes sense (except I think Terence & Sarah, for all his flakiness, deserve it too). I'm not as big a fan of Dallas & Toni as others here...he just seems like a dopey meathead to me.

Is it me, or is Phil getting crueller at the Pit Stops? He really dragged out Terence and Sarah's elimination last week and he pulled the switcheroo on Dan & Andrew at this one. I love when he puts on the serious face and then gives good news, but he's always seemed to philiminate people with solemnity. Maybe there's more to the story...

More driving, less cabs! TAR10 drove themselves in Russia, for crying out loud!
rockhpi
taking a detour

Postby whereverthefk on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:45 am

Phil definitely is toying with the Racers more, but I dig it. I absolutely LOVED him with Team Motherboy (I can never remember the mom's name, for some reason) -- "What do you want me to say? Do you want me to say 'You're team number one'???" SO GOOD.

Agree on the "more driving/less cabs" sentiment, though. I get a bit bored with taxi drama at this point.
whereverthefk
TARfly

Postby Kanuck on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:46 am

With their record of sucking at most Detour tasks, and the pattern in recent seasons to have more challenging tasks in the last episode, I am fairly certain those two won't win (ref to Dan/Andrew, as other posts got in between as I was typing this long-ass reply and answering the phone, etc). If they make it through next week's episode, I think a Guido-like cut to them still wandering the streets of some random city is more likely than a win. I would be happy with either Toni/Dallas or Starr/Nick winning, as both have been racing well overall and generally treat each other and locals well. Dallas may come across as a bit dopey, but he does consistently check the clues ('on foot,' keep the costume, etc) and wants to make his mom proud, which is nice to see in a 22-year-old guy.

Can I also mention that I loved the subtitle translations last night with the cab drivers - frustrated Racers asking questions in English and frustrated drivers replying in Russian, with neither understanding each other.

As to the shoes, there must have been some options beyond $120 Italian leather loafers at an airport, seriously. Couldn't they have raided the hotel (or airline) lost and found, or waited to find a discount store somewhere, or something? I hope the lack of cash comes back to bite them in the ass yet again in future episodes (the $0 provided final legs, etc).
Kanuck
dr. NObody does it better...
dr. NObody does it better...

Postby Thora on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:55 am

So glad to see Dallas and Toni win the leg last night. I really love them!

Not that I want to wish ill on anyone, but I seriously hope it's Dandrew who lose the passports next week. I really like the other three teams, and want to see them in the final 3. The utter stupidity of Dandrew is really driving me nuts. I loved Phil telling them he was sorry that it was a non-elimination round. Hee!
Thora
eating, sleeping & mingling

Postby Northwoods101 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:04 pm

I agree that it would benice to see more driving and less spoonfed transportation. I wonder if the Cho Bros driving into the parade in season 10 has something to do with the all taxis this time?
Northwoods101
road blocked

Next

Return to Past Seasons